Corn Vodka

  • Juan C. Fuentes M.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29 8:44 PM
      Hi, I had made vodka using only corn. I use HCl, so expensive by the way,  to hydrolyze the starch. At the end the flavor was rude. I am thinking HCl was responsible.
      Here, in Venezuela, corn is the cheaper grain (Cheaper than: rice, oat, malt) , so I am  going to use only it, also I do not want malting my corn.

      So, do you know change corn's starch into a smaller sugar using a fungus o bacteria or another traitement?

      Juan Carlos

    • CRSound
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30 1:00 AM
        > Hi, I had made vodka using only corn. I use HCl, so expensive by the way,  to hydrolyze the starch.
        Ya Know man Most KY & TN liquor does not use this product ?
        So why would you ?

        Over The Rail N' Down The Hatch
      • Juan C. Fuentes M.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30 5:59 AM

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30 9:18 AM
            Well, the best suited would probably be the koji fungus, which is used in the production of sake.  But really, I'd stick with the tried and true bourbon tradition--just use a little bit of malt to provide the necessary enzymes to convert.  10-20% should be fine.  And you can buy enzymes as well.  I.e.: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/amylase-enzyme-1-5-oz.html

            Also, here's a forum thread where the poster was making 100% corn beer.  Close enough for your purposes ;)

            http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/100-corn-beer-amylase-186729/

            HTH,
            Eddie

            > Hi, I had made vodka using only corn. I use HCl, so expensive by the way,  to hydrolyze the starch.
            Ya Know man Most KY & TN liquor does not use this product ?
            So why would you ?

            I just read in a biochemistry book about hydrolyze the starch. There were two ways. First using acid (HCl or H2SO4). Second using enzymes, I do not have enzymes so I use acid :-(

            Please, could you give me a recipe for corn vodka?

            is it possible reduce starch into smaller sugar using a fungus or bacteria?

            I have several bacterias and fungus right to my hand, or I can buy it.

            Over The Rail N' Down The Hatch

          • Alex Castillo
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 30 4:46 PM
              Hi Juan

              Can you give us your recipe using HCl? what amount of HCl (and how pure) per how much water and grain? what temp., etc.?

              Thanks

              Alex