Making Cuts

  • gavinflett
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 29, 2011
      I have a question about making cuts, in previous posts people talked about using temperature and ABV% to determine the cut. I don't necessarily subscribe to that thought, I just use taste. So my question is, as a general concensus, is this an acceptable method of making cuts for whiskey and rum?

      My second question is ( and this is one that has been plaguing me for a long time), what is the difference between heads and feints, and how much of that should go into the final product.

      My third question is, how much of the tails, and what part of the tails should go into the final product.

      As a general rule, shall I just make what I think tastes good good now, or will a bit of a bad tasting product now turn into good product in a year.

      I ask these questions because I know the taste of the aged product is so vastly different from the taste of the initial product and I haven't had the guts to add wishy washy tasting tails to an already superb tasting product of hearts.

      BTW I run a 30L pot still and my product comes out good (begins at 85% and goes down to about 50% by the end of the tails) from the first run, so there is no low wines or striping run.
    • Alex Castillo
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 29, 2011

        Hi gavin;

        For sure you´ll receive more than one set of comments for your questions, read mine in line.  (My comments are more valid for rum, since this is what I do the most)

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gavinflett" <gavin_flett@...> wrote:

        > I have a question about making cuts, in previous posts people talked about using temperature and ABV% to determine the cut. I don't necessarily subscribe to that thought, I just use taste. So my question is, as a general concensus, is this an acceptable method of making cuts for whiskey and rum?

        Going by taste is always valid; using several bottles or mason jars to later mix and match, but later probably you´ll observe that there´s a repeating pattern so you may go by volume (if using the same still); in my particular case as I´m going after heavy, grand arome rums, I take little to almost no head and much tail.  Time gets rid of most bad smells/tastes; this is doubly-distilling and using dunder.  Very last ones were cut as follows: Head: 200 ml; middle: ~ 1.6 liter @ 82% ABV; tail: ~ 1 liter all this from 1 liter low wines + feints and 1 liter dunder.

        > My second question is ( and this is one that has been plaguing me for a long time), what is the difference between heads and feints, and how much of that should go into the final product.

        Heads: Portion of the distillate that comes out first (please notice that arroyo does not make a cut of foreshots) in our hobby world heads come after the foreshots.

        Feints: Heads + Tails

        Mix your feints with your low wines for a new run (unless you do Arroyo´s cuts)

        > My third question is, how much of the tails, and what part of the tails should go into the final product.

        Again in our group´s practice for rum all the tail goes to a new run; as I said before for starters mix and match by taste the part you´d want in your booze.

        > As a general rule, shall I just make what I think tastes good good now, or will a bit of a bad tasting product now turn into good product in a year.

        As we know booze improves with time: aging on oak, oxigenating, etc.

        > I ask these questions because I know the taste of the aged product is so vastly different from the taste of the initial product and I haven't had the guts to add wishy washy tasting tails to an already superb tasting product of hearts.
        >
        > BTW I run a 30L pot still and my product comes out good (begins at 85% and goes down to about 50% by the end of the tails) from the first run, so there is no low wines or striping run.

        I did the same for some time, but believe me take a time to double-distill and you´ll have a better product, and if after a heavy rum I´d say is almost mandatory.

        These comments are based in my experience; read other people comments, do your experiments and coin your unique way; here there´s more than one road leading to rum (I meant Rome, lol)

        HTH

        A!

      • Alex Castillo
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 29, 2011

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Castillo" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

          >> dunder. Very last ones were cut as follows: Head: 200 ml; middle: ~ 1.6
          > liter @ 82% ABV; tail: ~ 1 liter all this from 1 liter low wines +
          > feints and 1 liter dunder.

          Correction: 1 Gallon low wines + feints and 1 Gallon dunder. (Two Gallons total)

          Alex

        • Todd Stewart
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 29, 2011
            I know, as with most posts, I could probably google this and find an answer.
            But, I like to get the "discussion"-style answer to my questions..

            So, with that...   Being an avid all-grain home beer brewer, I have a 10 gallon mash tun
            I could use to make all-grain washes. Similar grain bill for 10 gallons of beer would
            be comprable for 3-5gallons of wash.

            My question is...  With all grain beers, you must bring the wort to a vigorous boil not
            only for caramelization, but to drive off DMS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfide)
            produced during fermentation.

            If I want to make an All-Grain Wash for distilling, should I first bring it to a boil before
            chilling and pitching yeast.. Or is it just fine to lauter off and chill and pitch?

            I first plan on using about 8# of Wheat Dry Malt Extract in a 3 gallon batch and distilling
            that... Probably aging briefly on oak chips.. bit of a White Dog, haha..
            (http://www.mcmenamins.com/blog/2010/7/21/43-The-Summer-Of-The-White-Dog)

            Thoughts??

            -XLC

          • Bryan Bornais
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 29, 2011
              Any DMS remaining in the wort would be eliminated in the distillation. Even if it was not driven off, there are so many more higher alcohol, and ester formations that would overpower the slight DMS flavour.

              Not to mention your condenser has a copper surface, which will 'scrub' sulfur compounds out.

              IMO, the boil would not hurt, however. You are already sparging at 170F anyways, so  a little extra heat will help sanitization.

              Just don't bother with the 1hr boil. You can heat it until the hot break begins to form, then chill, and pitch.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 30, 2011
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Bornais <bbornais@...> wrote:

                > Any DMS remaining in the wort would be eliminated in the distillation. Even if
                > it was not driven off, there are so many more higher alcohol, and ester
                > formations that would overpower the slight DMS flavour.
                >

                > Not to mention your condenser has a copper surface, which will 'scrub' sulfur
                > compounds out.
                >
                > IMO, the boil would not hurt, however. You are already sparging at 170F anyways,
                > so a little extra heat will help sanitization.
                >
                > Just don't bother with the 1hr boil. You can heat it until the hot break begins
                > to form, then chill, and pitch.

                CAVEAT:

                If you boil your wort then cool again before you pitch yeast, YOU MUST use vigorous air injection for the first 2-3 hrs after pitching. Why? Because boiling removes oxygen from the wort, and yeast NEEDS oxygen during the growth phase. No oxygen = stuck fermentation.

              • Todd Stewart
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 30, 2011
                  Thanks for all the help!

                  So I should be able to mash like normal, and after vorlauf, lauter directly into a fermenter.

                  Typically with beer batches, I've found a quick splash around inside the carboy is enough
                  aeration for the yeast to kick off... and without the boil, I'd think it would still be more than
                  sufficient.

                  Of course, I'll be using Dry Malt Extract first, to see if the flavor is even to my liking.

                  Thanks again for the feedback..

                  -xlc

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 31, 2011
                    Thanks for the great info. I will try the double distillation this time around, but before I do this I have a few follow up questions;

                    Should I still discard the foreshots (I imagine that the foreshots would be the portion that contains the methanol that is already unwanted)

                    You mentioned mixing my feints (heads + tails) with my low wines (I'm not exactly sure of what that is either but I think it is the hearts) for a new run. Doesn't this just mean that I make no cuts whatsoever during the stripping run, then I would do all of my cuts in the spirit run (the spirit run having two batches of stripping runs)?

                    I do not know what arroyos cuts are. Is arroyo a person?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 31, 2011
                      these questions are all newbie stuff Gavin. You'll get better responses in the new distillers group.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 31, 2011
                        Hey Gavin,

                        I agree with Harry, please re-post your message at New Distillers, there, me (and others) will reply.

                        Alex

                        P.D. Please also delete former replies of the same thread, messages grow very big in no time.
                      • Peter Huisman
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
                          With all due respects Harry, is a dead horse being beaten here?
                          Where's the cutoff point?

                          At what level are questions to Distiilers determined to be "newbie", or
                          vice versa for that matter. And by whom? Those who think they already
                          know it all and don't wish to be bothered with newbie stuff? I don't
                          think I've read a post yet that advises the poster to search for answers
                          in the "Distillers" forum.

                          I've seen plenty of "newbie" questions answered by posters who also post
                          to "Distillers", in a fashion I would deem to be above "newbie"
                          understanding. Newbies, asking questions on New-Distillers should be
                          afforded answers in layman's terms. Otherwise why have both forums.??

                          Personally I subscribe to a number of forums and I have yet to come
                          across one where there is a Junior as well as Senior forum.

                          I'm trying to understand the logic.

                          ----------------------------------

                          On 1/02/2011 5:27 AM, Harry wrote:
                          > these questions are all newbie stuff Gavin. You'll get better responses
                          > in the new distillers group.
                          >
                          > Slainte!
                          > regards Harry
                          >
                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com>,
                          > "gavinflett" <gavin_flett@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for the great info. I will try the double distillation this
                          > time around, but before I do this I have a few follow up questions;
                          > >
                          > > Should I still discard the foreshots (I imagine that the foreshots
                          > would be the portion that contains the methanol that is already unwanted)
                          > >
                          > > You mentioned mixing my feints (heads + tails) with my low wines (I'm
                          > not exactly sure of what that is either but I think it is the hearts)
                          > for a new run. Doesn't this just mean that I make no cuts whatsoever
                          > during the stripping run, then I would do all of my cuts in the spirit
                          > run (the spirit run having two batches of stripping runs)?
                          > >
                          > > I do not know what arroyos cuts are. Is arroyo a person?
                          > >
                          > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com>, "Alex Castillo"

                        • Gavin Flett
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                            I agree, I have been distilling for just over a year. And I'm sure that this is still considered 'newbie by most' but I can make tasty alcohol. Besides, who's to say the New Distillers are going to answer my questions correctly. To be honest, I have been reading your posts for almost a year and I have a hard time understanding most of the terminology used. I am not a chemist, or an engineer or a biologist so most of what is said goes over my head and not to mention people use different terminologies for the same thing. I have read Tony Acklands entire site as well as the 'Compleat Distiller' and 'Whiskey' as well as some other sources of info, some of the information in those sources contradicts other published information so at times there is a question as to how to proceed.

                          • CRSound
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                              Ladies & Gentlemen Now On Stage the 20 or so Original founders of distillers from 1999, Lets Hear it for them as they watch both forms at the same time, A feat unknown to normal humans will be accomplished here today in Living Color. This will be accomplished with out clogging up either mail boxes, as these 20 or so have and keep both !!!

                              Thank You Favorite viewer this has been a Community message for your behave.
                              Over The Rail N' Down The Hatch

                              Personally I subscribe to a number of forums and I have yet to come
                              across one where there is a Junior as well as Senior forum.
                            • gff_stwrt
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 4, 2011
                                Hi, Peter and folks,
                                I am a member of a couple of other forums and have seriously thought of suggesting one of them consider breaking into a junior and a senior section. Maybe you should start off in some sort of junior section and be eligible to join in the discussions of the senior group after maybe a month or two months.

                                (Which is MORE rather than less restrictive than you seem to be suggesting....)

                                But it would ensure you gain a little knowledge and experience, with the opportunity to enter discussions at the beginner level, before you get into the advanced stuff with ideas to revolutionize the science and practice of distillation.
                                (Hell, I did it, too!)
                                And yet not be so long as to diminish your enthusiasm!
                                And I think you can READ the senior forum from the start anyway, so you can read the more advanced stuff here and in Harry's library; That way a lot of your questions might be answered by the time you join the senior forum.
                                And yes, as to cut-off points, time is the simplest and no-one gets offended at the passing of time.

                                Of course you have a good point about explanations in new distillers being in more or less layman's terms; something I will be more conscious of now.

                                Regards,
                                The Baker as Devil's Advocate.

                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Peter Huisman <p-j-h@...> wrote:

                                > With all due respects Harry, is a dead horse being beaten here?
                                > Where's the cutoff point?
                                >
                                > At what level are questions to Distiilers determined to be "newbie", or
                                > vice versa for that matter. And by whom? Those who think they already
                                > know it all and don't wish to be bothered with newbie stuff? I don't
                                > think I've read a post yet that advises the poster to search for answers
                                > in the "Distillers" forum.
                                >
                                > I've seen plenty of "newbie" questions answered by posters who also post
                                > to "Distillers", in a fashion I would deem to be above "newbie"
                                > understanding. Newbies, asking questions on New-Distillers should be
                                > afforded answers in layman's terms. Otherwise why have both forums.??
                                >
                                > Personally I subscribe to a number of forums and I have yet to come
                                > across one where there is a Junior as well as Senior forum.
                                >
                                > I'm trying to understand the logic.
                                >
                                > ----------------------------------
                              • Todd Stewart
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 4, 2011
                                  So, I'm gonna start using my all-grain homebrew beer system to make all-grain wash..

                                  I've started a batch of 8# of Wheat DME and Turbo Yeast in a 3 gallon batch that's fermenting
                                  now...   I'll distill probably next weekend..

                                  Does anyone have a favored grain recipe?? I've seen the corn recipes, etc.. But am thinking
                                  I may steep a touch of chocolate malt next time with the extract to see if i notice a difference
                                  in the final product.  Would like to keep with basic Home Brew Shop grain options... lets be
                                  honest, its just easier.

                                  -xlc

                                • Robert Earl
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 21, 2011

                                    Hi Simon,

                                    I’d gladly step in mate, but I’ll be out of action all of Thursday.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Rob