Re: ZB's proposed pot still picture

  • Pete H
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2011
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff burrows" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

      > I have a 10 gal insulated boiler with an 850watt x 240 volt element for the run and when wash gets up to ethanol temp my 850 just distills it at a steady temp. It could be a 25 or 50gal boiler but when it reaches ethanol temp that 850 will just keep steady and keep sending the ethanol out
      > HTH
      > Geoff

      Appears that Pot'rs require less power punch than 'flux'rs.

      With both 1.38kw and .9kw elements on until boiling (78c), a 25ltr approx., 18%abv sugar wash takes 40 odd minutes to boil to that temp (78C).

      It happily retains that temp - with appropriate cooling flow - until about 4ltrs in total of fores, heads, mids, and tails have been extracted. At around 84c the temp climbs within a minute or two to where the produce is foul.

      So I now religiously shut down at around 84 and don't bother mucking around.