Gol-Dhana Arrack

  • Todd Stewart
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2011
      I'm not embarrassed to admit that I use the MileHi couter-top still... For making a liter a week of
      silver rum for my wife and I, it's perfect.  And the occasional "infused" spirit or spiced rum, it's all
      we need.

      With that said, I'm excited to share this weekends run.

      Wash was 6.6# (2kg) Jaggery Sugar from the Indian Cash and Carry across from my work.

      Yeast was 1/2 pack of the 48hour Turbo Yeast. (  I let it go for a full week. Finished at 1.000
      0^p.   OG was estimated around 1.100 (25^p) =   13.4% ABV  for a 3 gallon batch.. )

      Proofed yeast in warm water, and pitched into cooled sugar solution, added about a teaspoon of
      nutrient. Let sit 7 days at 65-68F.

      (Fast Forward: that was last Sunday, this is Saturday morning )

      Ran through in 2 - 1gallon parts first... Carbon filtered. Got down until runnings were around 40 proof.
      (Heads of course discarded) Yielded about 2L at 80proof...  (VERY happy with they yield at this point)
      Mixed with 20grams crushed coriander and 20grams cardamom pods. Had to meet with wife and mother-
      in-law for lunch, so left final distillation for Sunday morn.

      Skipped carbon filter for second run. Wanted to save as much spice flavor as possible.

      Added 2L maceration (not really, but sort of) of Coriander and Cardamom to pot with 2qt of saved
      "jaggery-wine" from wash, plus additional 10 grams of both Coriander and Cardamom, plus the best
      municipal water to make 1 gallon in pot. Re-ran for final run.

      Heads discarded (sadly, they smelled great) and ran through to make 1.5L of 78proof Gol-Dhana Arrack.

      It's really for the Gin/Tequila lovers.   Super smooth, not a touch of burn.   Pretty spicy though. You
      REALLY have to know that the spices are in there. Not CURRY spicy, just coriander/cardamom spicy.

      A friend said it would be great for Margaritas or Mojitos.    I think a splash of White Grapefruit juice
      would be perfect.

      I can explain the name later...  This turned out the be longer than I planned, haha..

      XLC

    • Lex
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
        Would the great smelling discarded heads have been used to make bread? Just
        thinkin'
        Lex
      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
          Why discard th0se high ABV heads with nice congeners or the tails when
          all this good alcohol can be added to the next stripping run for added
          flavors and ethanol ???

          JB. aka Waldo.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lex <lexalphadog@...> wrote:

          > Would the great smelling discarded heads have been used to make bread?
          Just
          > thinkin'
          > Lex

        • Todd Stewart
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
            I always tend to bottle the heads separately and save them for later.
            Trying to make it as clean as possible, I wanted to pull it out.  I'll save the
            rest to bulk up a lower finishing wash.

            Why discard th0se high ABV heads with nice congeners or the tails when
            all this good alcohol can be added to the next stripping run for added
            flavors and ethanol ???

            JB. aka Waldo.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lex <lexalphadog@...> wrote:

            > Would the great smelling discarded heads have been used to make bread?
            Just
            > thinkin'
            > Lex

          • tgfoitwoods
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 19, 2011
              Todd,

              What criteria did you use to determine those great-smelling "heads" really were heads? Did you use some temperature or volume or ABV formula, or did it just taste bad up until that point? My concern is that I suspect many stillers miss out on some good spirit because they discarded "the first 20%" or "everything up to XX degrees" . Of course, it's also true that using non-taste criteria can also get some real heads in your hearts.

              Maybe if it smelled wonderful, some of it really was wonderful.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              ----snip----

              ----snip----

              > XLC

            • Todd Stewart
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 19, 2011
                Haha.. Yes, the first runs through I base off smell, mostly, just since its sugar. Once they "finger-nail polish
                remover" smell goes away, I'm usually good... about 100ml per Gallon (3.8L)

                The second run through with spice, I pulled another 100ml (my usual amount) and have those saved separately.
                I had added some un-distilled wash to it, and just wanted to make sure to pull some off to be safe.

                I usually add the heads to other batches if I need, or save several batches of heads and blend those together.
                Have had pretty good luck with orange zest in the same fashion.