Re: Pressurized aging

  • Alex Castillo
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2011
      Thanks ZB

      Hmmm... I like both, probably better that one of the pure oxygen, since there´s no problem about rubber smelling diaphragm, etc. It´ll be nice if you could remember the brewer´s supply link.

      Alex
    • Alex Castillo
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2011
        Hey MB

        Let me take a minute of your time to ask you about your results. You´re talking about an aquarium pump, right? It was said in this forum some time ago that booze so treated remained with an umpleasant rubber taste/smell due to the rubber diaphragm those kind of pumps have. Do you get those unwanted taste/smells? I do have one of those pumps, but I´d hate to ruin some of my booze in the experiment.

        Alex
      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2011
          Here ya go, Alex,

          http://morebeer.com/view_product/18253//Diffusion_Stone_-_2_Micron_26%22_Long

          It doesn't say stainless, but it used to say that, and mine is.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Castillo" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

          > Thanks ZB
          >
          > Hmmm... I like both, probably better that one of the pure oxygen, since there´s no problem about rubber smelling diaphragm, etc. It´ll be nice if you could remember the brewer´s supply link.
          >
          > Alex

        • joe giffen
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2011
            HI alex.
            You should use a compressor type aquarium pump (no rubber diaphram).I usually run a new one for a few days or as long as it takes to get rid of any odours before use. I use a sintered stainless steel air stone as per ZB. My method is to use toasted oak chips and spirit at about 70abv.in a 20ltr. glass container. I run it for up to 2 weeks and have noticed little loss of content or strength
            Regards
            Joe

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
              I have never had any smell from the fish pump it only moves air. the rubber doesn't come in contact with any alcohol. I guess some pumps have different materials they are made of. the air is clean enough it wont harm fish and if you have ever kept fish you know how sensitive they can be. smell the air coming from the pump can you detect any smell? Take 3-4 oz of 50/50 mix and let it run in it for a few hours see if you can taste or smell any thing. Mine smells better it has less bite.
              I thank heating the distillate to 140F is what off gasses the higher alcohols(heads)faster and the air pump just keeps it mixing. the surface area is where O2 exchange happens. Inside the bubbles the surface area is small the top surface area is much larger the bubbles from the pump keep the distillate and air in the bottle moving so the surface areas are constantly refreshed. if you are pumping pure O2
              that would speed it up. but I have found the air pump works in about an hour so why waste my O2
              MB
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Castillo" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

              > Hey MB
              >
              > Let me take a minute of your time to ask you about your results. You´re talking about an aquarium pump, right? It was said in this forum some time ago that booze so treated remained with an umpleasant rubber taste/smell due to the rubber diaphragm those kind of pumps have. Do you get those unwanted taste/smells? I do have one of those pumps, but I´d hate to ruin some of my booze in the experiment.
              >
              > Alex

            • Alex Castillo
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
                Thanks Joe,

                Could you post a link of where to get (buy) the compressor you´re talking about (and actually take a look at it). Probably if it is combined with the SS diffusion stone posted by ZB (thanks again ZB) they could be a good fast-aging combo. But I´m a little confuse here, as I thought that you aereate before adding oak, not after, Am I wrong?

                Alex
              • Alex Castillo
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Hey MB

                  Well, I think I´ll try it with some little amount of booze as you suggest and see what happens.

                  About heating I know for sure a company here heats their to-be-aged alcohol at some 60C with oak chips and pumps ozone to it (don´t know if they do it in that order though). Then they put it in barrels where (by law) must be during at least one year. (Around here everybody ages at 65% ABV, that I also know for sure).

                  Probably a combination of heating and pumping air or ozone, or maybe heating and adding some oxidizing agent (i.e. hydrogen peroxide) quickens aging, transforming minutes/hours of process in months/years of aging.

                  Alex