Calcium Carbonate vs. Gypsum

  • ballard_bootlegger
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2011
      Is there any benefit to using Gypsum as opposed to Calcium Carbonate to adjust the PH of a mash?

      I know yeast needs calcium, but in an all grain mash I assume there is plenty of calcium present already. Thoughts?

      Thanks in advance,

      Whitney.
    • Bryan Bornais
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2011
        Gypsum solubilizes easily in the water, so if you know what mash pH you are going to get, then you can adjust ahead of time by adding gypsum to the water, instead of calcium carbonate to the mash.

        Here is a link to some brewing info that may or may not help:

        http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-4.html