Re: [Distillers] Pressurized aging?

  • Bryan Bornais
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
      Corny kegs are rated to a max of 130psi, though this is not operating pressure. That is the pressure that will cause the pressure relief valve (either spring valve, or pressure disc), to do it's thing.

      Use a braid re-enforced line if going above 50psi.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011

        Hi Waldo,
        bury the bugger in a barrel in the ground for a year or two and dig it up
        and it's gotta be a good drink after that
        Geoff
      • Pete H
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
          Hi,

          At first glance the article seemed to be about pressurising the alcohol into the wood, then releasing that pressure at the end of the process.

          But I think it is more about ebb and flow using different pressures over time. Similar to the natural heating and cooling of spirit in wooden barrels.

          The article did mention vessel pressures of 1 to 6000 psi.

          Although I have no testing data, I feel a similar aging process can be attained by oaking - in stainless vessels - at high, say 95%abv rather than lower 50 or 60%. My reasoning is that the higher abv fluid is less dense than lower abv and thus will more easily and deeply penetrate the fibres of the added oak.

          This method - in stainless containers - would I imagine, also reduce the "Angel's Share", as there would be no loss from migration of the spirit through the holding medium.

          -----------------------------------

          > Hi Todd,
          >
          > Not saying that pressurizing will not help the aging process, but why
          > not let nature take its course and use the traditional method where heat
          > and cold help the alcohol flow thru the wood. I have used the procedure
          > of adding bubbling O2 thru an aging vessel with good sucess and even
          > shaking it on ocassion after opening, but keeping something pressurized
          > for long periods of time to introduce O2 seems a bit extravagent.
          >
          > Just my opinion.
          >
          > JB. aka Waldo.
          >

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <toddweiss@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I was doing some rum reading and heard about Temptryst rum (out of
          > Texas) had a method of aging where they pressurize the rum with wood of
          > various sorts.
          > >
          > > http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100092636
          > >
          > > For those technically-minded, does this seem to be something that can
          > be done with common equipment (ie. pressure cooker)?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > T-

        • Pete H
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Todd Stewart <xlcranium@...> wrote:

            > I agree about the Cornie keg. As a homebrewer, too, I have used them for years.
            ><Snip>
            > My only worry would be carbonating the spirit. Not that you can't de-gas it. But

            Will ambient temperature spirit carbonate?

            I know that my beers much prefer to be fridge cold before accepting carbonation.
          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
              The thing is, without angels share the spirits is not going to get the taste we want. Just think of it: whisky distilleries endlesly recycle their feints -> over time heads components build on the feints and start to bleed over to the hearts. Cuts in the industry are done by ABV so there's no actual control of the hearts taste. As I see it the angels share is their way of getting rid of those unwanted heads components in their product. After all, even in low temperature evaporation it is heads components that evaporate first.

              Then again, if we pressurize a vessel with spirits + oak to few bars and then release the pressure - the outcoming air should carry quite a lot of alcohol vapor in it mimicking the angels share. Perhaps this could be used to determine when proper amount of pressurization cycles have been reached since we do know the amount of angels share / year in aging process.

              Slainte, Riku

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > At first glance the article seemed to be about pressurising the alcohol into the wood, then releasing that pressure at the end of the process.
              >
              > But I think it is more about ebb and flow using different pressures over time. Similar to the natural heating and cooling of spirit in wooden barrels.
              >
              > The article did mention vessel pressures of 1 to 6000 psi.
              >
              > Although I have no testing data, I feel a similar aging process can be attained by oaking - in stainless vessels - at high, say 95%abv rather than lower 50 or 60%. My reasoning is that the higher abv fluid is less dense than lower abv and thus will more easily and deeply penetrate the fibres of the added oak.
              >
              > This method - in stainless containers - would I imagine, also reduce the "Angel's Share", as there would be no loss from migration of the spirit through the holding medium.
              >
              > -----------------------------------

            • Dick Box
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                Of course they will carbonate. Look up Henry's Law.

                To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                From: thursty2@...
                Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 23:23:29 +0000

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Todd Stewart <xlcranium@...> wrote:

                > I agree about the Cornie keg. As a homebrewer, too, I have used them for years.
                ><Snip>
                > My only worry would be carbonating the spirit. Not that you can't de-gas it. But

                Will ambient temperature spirit carbonate?

                I know that my beers much prefer to be fridge cold before accepting carbonation.

              • missouri_bootlegger
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2011
                  The amount movement of fluid in and out of the wood would depend on pressure differential. How much "low" pressure would a piece of wood hold. with the container made of wood the outside of the wood would be at 1 bar (1 atm). With the container sealed and the contents heated the inside would have a higher pressure thus moving liquid from a higher pressure to a lower pressure through the wood when cooled the pressure could become less than 1 bar thus forcing it to be removed from the wood. With a piece of wood inside the container and equal pressure on all sides some liquid would be forced into the wood to equalize the pressure but how much? would it be enough to achieve the desired results? given the surface area of the inside of a barrel and a constant pressure differential its hard to imagine that it would have the same results.
                  Maybe the substance in the wood that gives flavor changes properties under pressure (IE:changes to a liquid) and infuses the liquid more readily
                  Just some thoughts
                  also you would have to use nitrogen to pressurize the container CO2 will carbonate the liquid. I would not use O2 under high pressure mixed with a fuel source it might blow up

                  MB
                • MoSS
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
                    Why not just pump/bubble, oak/peat/whatever smoke thru the distillate?
                    Have to have a similar result, surely?

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "missouri_bootlegger" <siscoweb@...> wrote:

                    > The amount movement of fluid in and out of the wood would depend on pressure differential. How much "low" pressure would a piece of wood hold. with the container made of wood the outside of the wood would be at 1 bar (1 atm). With the container sealed and the contents heated the inside would have a higher pressure thus moving liquid from a higher pressure to a lower pressure through the wood when cooled the pressure could become less than 1 bar thus forcing it to be removed from the wood. With a piece of wood inside the container and equal pressure on all sides some liquid would be forced into the wood to equalize the pressure but how much? would it be enough to achieve the desired results? given the surface area of the inside of a barrel and a constant pressure differential its hard to imagine that it would have the same results.
                    > Maybe the substance in the wood that gives flavor changes properties under pressure (IE:changes to a liquid) and infuses the liquid more readily
                    > Just some thoughts
                    > also you would have to use nitrogen to pressurize the container CO2 will carbonate the liquid. I would not use O2 under high pressure mixed with a fuel source it might blow up
                    >
                    > MB

                  • abbababbaccc
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
                      You get no oxygenation with nitrogen. I'd try airpump meself, I have a nice handpump that can deliver 3000 psi ;)

                      Slainte, Riku