Re: cold temperature distilling

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2011
      Mitt,

      Litte confused here. You either evaporate the alcohol from the water
      solution using high heat as in a regular still or at lower temps using
      something like the amazing still as Geoff mentioned.

      On the other extreme, since alcohol freezes at a lower temp then water,
      freeze distilling or factional crystalization is the other method to
      increase ABV.

      I still dont understand what you getting at between a warm house and
      cold environment. If you run a coil to the cold outside then back
      inside, then it will just heat back up with no ice forming which would
      block the line up anyways???

      JB. aka Waldo.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mitt" <mstehelin@...> wrote:

      > Sorry, sorry.
      > I am not referring to freeze distilling. I am talking about taking
      advantage of the temperature differnces between a warm house and a cold
      environment. There is evaporation even at lower temps. Thats, what I was
      referring to.
      > Cheers
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mitt" mstehelin@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Guys,
      > > I know that you can "distill" by freezing wine and then letting the
      alcohol drip out leaving the water in ice.. But what if you set up
      inside your house and ran a coil outside during winter. Like -25 C out
      side. Would the wine distill due to the different temperatures (slowly
      for sure, but still...)