Lactic bacteria infections

  • Alex Castillo
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2010
      Hi and Merry Xmas everybody!

      As part of my experiments I infected both a dunder deposit and a molasses wash with lactic bacteria from yogurt and cheese with good results in both cases, since I´ve been able to see the infection (white cap on top) in short time (about a week). I know that, in the case of dunder one should use the middle liquid, not using neither the cap on top nor the tar in the botton, but in the case of the fermentation should that cap be avoided or it doesn´t matter? Both present good smell and not that ugly looks since the cap ressembles old milk.

      Alex
    • MoSS
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2010
        Alex,
        I would use the middle.
        Did you use yogurt directly into the dunder or pre mix it?
        I'd love to read about your method.

        I found some black strap molasses yesterday, woohoo, new wash under way...

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Castillo" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

        > Hi and Merry Xmas everybody!
        >
        > As part of my experiments I infected both a dunder deposit and a molasses wash with lactic bacteria from yogurt and cheese with good results in both cases, since I´ve been able to see the infection (white cap on top) in short time (about a week). I know that, in the case of dunder one should use the middle liquid, not using neither the cap on top nor the tar in the botton, but in the case of the fermentation should that cap be avoided or it doesn´t matter? Both present good smell and not that ugly looks since the cap ressembles old milk.
        >
        > Alex

      • Alex Castillo
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2010
          Hi MoSS,

          I just added yogurt and grated cheese to fresh dunder and got quick aged dunder. From that one I plan to use the middle cut, but from infected fermentation I thought it and I´ll use the whole thing, since when malolactic fermentation completes in wines they don´t separate anything; anyways no living organism can live in an ethyl alcohol with more than 20% ABV. Ideas are welcome.

          Alex
        • MoSS
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 30, 2010
            Hi Alex,
            Quantities?
            How much of each did you use to how much dunder?

            Ta.

            Mike

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Castillo" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

            > Hi MoSS,
            >
            > I just added yogurt and grated cheese to fresh dunder and got quick aged dunder. From that one I plan to use the middle cut, but from infected fermentation I thought it and I´ll use the whole thing, since when malolactic fermentation completes in wines they don´t separate anything; anyways no living organism can live in an ethyl alcohol with more than 20% ABV. Ideas are welcome.
            >
            > Alex

          • Alex Castillo
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 30, 2010
              Hi MoSS

              About 15 liters of fresh dunder (from molasses and 71B yeast), 150 grams of yogurt and about 20 grams of gruyere cheese. Cover until you see the infection (white cap on top)

              Alex