Principles & practices of wine making

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2010
      Oaking p. 402

      http://tinyurl.com/2cxxo2b

      wal
    • Pete H
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2010
        wal,

        pg. 405 sure contains some hard facts worth knowing. This pic

        http://tinyurl.com/2epe6wm

        shows an experiment I'm going to try, based on what I saw some months back when touring a wine making region. After reading pg. 405 (and related pages), my experiment will have more basis in fact than fiction.

        Thanks for the heads up.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2010
          The penetration rate for barrel staves is around 0.2mm/month. If you are inserting the whole stave, then this would double, as both sides are penetrated. In wine making 1-10g/l of oak is used. For spirits 5g/l at 55%abv is recommended. Obviously you should rely on your taste buds!
          wal