Oaking (was) Re: Adding hydrogen peroxide to aging liquors

  • Pete H
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
      This pic of an oak stave from a wine barrel:

      http://tinyurl.com/38abjgg

      seems to indicate that wine (say 12% abv average) penetrates far deeper than spirits as quoted by wal. In fact 10 times deeper at 10mm.

      Would not 95% or even 60% abv spirit be stronger than wine and thus penetrate deeper?

      ------------------------------

      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
        I have been corrected. A penetration of 6mm is not unusual.
        wal

        > The penetration in a barrel is about 1mm. Note that commercial whisky/whiskey distilleries store/age at 60%abv.
        > wal
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Not being aware of the experiments, I took the approach that the purer the alcohol, the better it is able to penetrate the oak and leach its desirable properties.
        > >
        > > ------------------------------

        > > > Experiments show that about 60%abv is best to extract water and alcohol soluble components in oak.
        > > > wal

      • Paul Williams
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
          I like the "boomerang" keg closure in your other pics - neat idea

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
            Thanks Paul,

            I wanted a simple to operate closure, and because the column is open to the air - ie., no pressure build up - this method works fine.

            I do have to investigate a better gasket material. The foam I have eventually collapses with the weight and heat, and then I have to cut a replacement.

            A form of silicon sheet is probably my best bet, but finding it is proving difficult.

            -------------------------

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Williams <paul.stewart.williams@...> wrote:

            > I like the "boomerang" keg closure in your other pics - neat idea
            >

            > On 2010-12-05, at 7:56 AM, Pete H wrote:
            >

            > > This pic of an oak stave from a wine barrel:
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/38abjgg
          • *
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
              > A form of silicon sheet is probably my best bet, but finding it is proving difficult.

              how about a silicone cooking sheet or silicone cake pan
            • Pete H
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                Hadn't thought of the cake pan. I need material about 3mm thick. Will check it out.

                Thanks *