Oaking (was) Re: Adding hydrogen peroxide to aging liquors

  • *
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 4, 2010

      > Good,
      >
      > Almost all rums are aged, mostly in used oak barrels. Depending on the
      > country of origin, they are aged for a year or more. You need to
      > specify which 151 your talking about.
      >
      > JB.

      for the sake of discussion ill say
      Black Seal
      Bermuda

      i know most rums are aged on oak. question is if you have a 151 proof rum what proof is it aged? we know whisky is best aged at 130 proof
      is it better to age rum at higher abv?
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 4, 2010
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "*" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

        > for the sake of discussion ill say
        > Black Seal
        > Bermuda
        >
        > i know most rums are aged on oak. question is if you have a 151 proof rum what proof is it aged? we know whisky is best aged at 130 proof
        > is it better to age rum at higher abv?

        Define "better". Different is the word I think. The balance is yours to explore...

        "Most rum producers age their rum at 70% to 80% alcohol. A few dilute their spirits to nearly bottle-strength, 40 to 45% alcohol by volume, before putting the barrels away for aging. A lower alcohol content during aging tends to leech slightly lighter esters and phenols from the wooden barrels while a higher alcohol content will attract heavier compounds and associated flavors."

        Source: http://www.ministryofrum.com/article_age_matters.php

      • Pete H
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
          This pic of an oak stave from a wine barrel:

          http://tinyurl.com/38abjgg

          seems to indicate that wine (say 12% abv average) penetrates far deeper than spirits as quoted by wal. In fact 10 times deeper at 10mm.

          Would not 95% or even 60% abv spirit be stronger than wine and thus penetrate deeper?

          ------------------------------

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
            I have been corrected. A penetration of 6mm is not unusual.
            wal

            > The penetration in a barrel is about 1mm. Note that commercial whisky/whiskey distilleries store/age at 60%abv.
            > wal
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Not being aware of the experiments, I took the approach that the purer the alcohol, the better it is able to penetrate the oak and leach its desirable properties.
            > >
            > > ------------------------------

            > > > Experiments show that about 60%abv is best to extract water and alcohol soluble components in oak.
            > > > wal

          • Paul Williams
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
              I like the "boomerang" keg closure in your other pics - neat idea

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                Thanks Paul,

                I wanted a simple to operate closure, and because the column is open to the air - ie., no pressure build up - this method works fine.

                I do have to investigate a better gasket material. The foam I have eventually collapses with the weight and heat, and then I have to cut a replacement.

                A form of silicon sheet is probably my best bet, but finding it is proving difficult.

                -------------------------

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Williams <paul.stewart.williams@...> wrote:

                > I like the "boomerang" keg closure in your other pics - neat idea
                >

                > On 2010-12-05, at 7:56 AM, Pete H wrote:
                >

                > > This pic of an oak stave from a wine barrel:
                > >
                > > http://tinyurl.com/38abjgg
              • *
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                  > A form of silicon sheet is probably my best bet, but finding it is proving difficult.

                  how about a silicone cooking sheet or silicone cake pan
                • Pete H
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                    Hadn't thought of the cake pan. I need material about 3mm thick. Will check it out.

                    Thanks *