Oaking (was) Re: Adding hydrogen peroxide to aging liquors

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 4, 2010
      Good,

      Almost all rums are aged, mostly in used oak barrels. Depending on the
      country of origin, they are aged for a year or more. You need to
      specify which 151 your talking about.

      JB.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "*" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" waljaco@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Experiments show that about 60%abv is best to extract water and
      alcohol soluble components in oak.
      > > wal
      > >

      > what about rums? there are plenty of high ABV rums mainly the 151's
      >
      > are these oaked at lower abvs or at bottle strength?

    • *
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 4, 2010

        > Good,
        >
        > Almost all rums are aged, mostly in used oak barrels. Depending on the
        > country of origin, they are aged for a year or more. You need to
        > specify which 151 your talking about.
        >
        > JB.

        for the sake of discussion ill say
        Black Seal
        Bermuda

        i know most rums are aged on oak. question is if you have a 151 proof rum what proof is it aged? we know whisky is best aged at 130 proof
        is it better to age rum at higher abv?
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 4, 2010
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "*" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

          > for the sake of discussion ill say
          > Black Seal
          > Bermuda
          >
          > i know most rums are aged on oak. question is if you have a 151 proof rum what proof is it aged? we know whisky is best aged at 130 proof
          > is it better to age rum at higher abv?

          Define "better". Different is the word I think. The balance is yours to explore...

          "Most rum producers age their rum at 70% to 80% alcohol. A few dilute their spirits to nearly bottle-strength, 40 to 45% alcohol by volume, before putting the barrels away for aging. A lower alcohol content during aging tends to leech slightly lighter esters and phenols from the wooden barrels while a higher alcohol content will attract heavier compounds and associated flavors."

          Source: http://www.ministryofrum.com/article_age_matters.php

        • Pete H
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
            This pic of an oak stave from a wine barrel:

            http://tinyurl.com/38abjgg

            seems to indicate that wine (say 12% abv average) penetrates far deeper than spirits as quoted by wal. In fact 10 times deeper at 10mm.

            Would not 95% or even 60% abv spirit be stronger than wine and thus penetrate deeper?

            ------------------------------

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
              I have been corrected. A penetration of 6mm is not unusual.
              wal

              > The penetration in a barrel is about 1mm. Note that commercial whisky/whiskey distilleries store/age at 60%abv.
              > wal
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Not being aware of the experiments, I took the approach that the purer the alcohol, the better it is able to penetrate the oak and leach its desirable properties.
              > >
              > > ------------------------------

              > > > Experiments show that about 60%abv is best to extract water and alcohol soluble components in oak.
              > > > wal

            • Paul Williams
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                I like the "boomerang" keg closure in your other pics - neat idea

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                  Thanks Paul,

                  I wanted a simple to operate closure, and because the column is open to the air - ie., no pressure build up - this method works fine.

                  I do have to investigate a better gasket material. The foam I have eventually collapses with the weight and heat, and then I have to cut a replacement.

                  A form of silicon sheet is probably my best bet, but finding it is proving difficult.

                  -------------------------

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Williams <paul.stewart.williams@...> wrote:

                  > I like the "boomerang" keg closure in your other pics - neat idea
                  >

                  > On 2010-12-05, at 7:56 AM, Pete H wrote:
                  >

                  > > This pic of an oak stave from a wine barrel:
                  > >
                  > > http://tinyurl.com/38abjgg
                • *
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                    > A form of silicon sheet is probably my best bet, but finding it is proving difficult.

                    how about a silicone cooking sheet or silicone cake pan
                  • Pete H
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                      Hadn't thought of the cake pan. I need material about 3mm thick. Will check it out.

                      Thanks *