Oaking (was) Re: Adding hydrogen peroxide to aging liquors

  • Pete H
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2010
      Not being aware of the experiments, I took the approach that the purer the alcohol, the better it is able to penetrate the oak and leach its desirable properties.

      ------------------------------

      > Experiments show that about 60%abv is best to extract water and alcohol soluble components in oak.
      > wal
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@> wrote:
      > >
      > > My hardly scientific approach - first time round, was to soak oak chips in 95%abv vodka. The qty's are approx. I half filled a 1.75 ltr bottle with oak chips cut to fit through the neck. A Jack D bottle was ideal for this with its wide neck.
      > >
      > > When bottling a dark rum, (vodka & essence) I add 25 ml of the oaked 95% to 2.25 ltrs of the rum. I also have a vanilla quill sitting in 95% vodka. I add 5ml of this liquid to the rum.
      > >
      > > So far, I'm liking the taste.
      > >
      > > In this thread it has been mentioned that 5gm per ltr should be used. Is that 5gm of chips?
      > >
      > > ------------------------------
      > >
      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "atticpc" <atticpc@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Wal
      > > >
      > > > I will try that - much easier than going back to the start all over again.
      > > >
      > > > Harry - just looked back on my notes. I was actually using nearly 10gms per litre - so way over oaked.
      > > >
      > > > One of my plans at this stage is to fire up a new batch of UJSM and do a few stripping runs. Then on one spirit run add in some of the over oaked batch and then oak again.
      > > >
      > > > The second approach is going to be to do the spirit run and cuts. Then do up a batch of 50% over oaked and 50% new and oak again on a very small quantity of oak. Will probably use pre used oak.
      > > >
      > > > All a part of the fun of the craft.

    • *
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2010

        > Experiments show that about 60%abv is best to extract water and alcohol soluble components in oak.
        > wal

        what about rums? there are plenty of high ABV rums mainly the 151's

        are these oaked at lower abvs or at bottle strength?
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 3, 2010
          The penetration in a barrel is about 1mm. Note that commercial whisky/whiskey distilleries store/age at 60%abv.

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 3, 2010
            Don't know. But rum can contain caramel which is quite dominant.
            wal

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "*" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

            > > Experiments show that about 60%abv is best to extract water and alcohol soluble components in oak.
            > > wal
            > >

            > what about rums? there are plenty of high ABV rums mainly the 151's
            >
            > are these oaked at lower abvs or at bottle strength?

          • jamesonbeam1
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 4, 2010
              Good,

              Almost all rums are aged, mostly in used oak barrels. Depending on the
              country of origin, they are aged for a year or more. You need to
              specify which 151 your talking about.

              JB.

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 4, 2010

                > Good,
                >
                > Almost all rums are aged, mostly in used oak barrels. Depending on the
                > country of origin, they are aged for a year or more. You need to
                > specify which 151 your talking about.
                >
                > JB.

                for the sake of discussion ill say
                Black Seal
                Bermuda

                i know most rums are aged on oak. question is if you have a 151 proof rum what proof is it aged? we know whisky is best aged at 130 proof
                is it better to age rum at higher abv?
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 4, 2010
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "*" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                  > for the sake of discussion ill say
                  > Black Seal
                  > Bermuda
                  >
                  > i know most rums are aged on oak. question is if you have a 151 proof rum what proof is it aged? we know whisky is best aged at 130 proof
                  > is it better to age rum at higher abv?

                  Define "better". Different is the word I think. The balance is yours to explore...

                  "Most rum producers age their rum at 70% to 80% alcohol. A few dilute their spirits to nearly bottle-strength, 40 to 45% alcohol by volume, before putting the barrels away for aging. A lower alcohol content during aging tends to leech slightly lighter esters and phenols from the wooden barrels while a higher alcohol content will attract heavier compounds and associated flavors."

                  Source: http://www.ministryofrum.com/article_age_matters.php

                • Pete H
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                    This pic of an oak stave from a wine barrel:

                    http://tinyurl.com/38abjgg

                    seems to indicate that wine (say 12% abv average) penetrates far deeper than spirits as quoted by wal. In fact 10 times deeper at 10mm.

                    Would not 95% or even 60% abv spirit be stronger than wine and thus penetrate deeper?

                    ------------------------------

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                      I have been corrected. A penetration of 6mm is not unusual.
                      wal

                      > The penetration in a barrel is about 1mm. Note that commercial whisky/whiskey distilleries store/age at 60%abv.
                      > wal
                      >
                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Not being aware of the experiments, I took the approach that the purer the alcohol, the better it is able to penetrate the oak and leach its desirable properties.
                      > >
                      > > ------------------------------

                      > > > Experiments show that about 60%abv is best to extract water and alcohol soluble components in oak.
                      > > > wal

                    • Paul Williams
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                        I like the "boomerang" keg closure in your other pics - neat idea

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                          Thanks Paul,

                          I wanted a simple to operate closure, and because the column is open to the air - ie., no pressure build up - this method works fine.

                          I do have to investigate a better gasket material. The foam I have eventually collapses with the weight and heat, and then I have to cut a replacement.

                          A form of silicon sheet is probably my best bet, but finding it is proving difficult.

                          -------------------------

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Williams <paul.stewart.williams@...> wrote:

                          > I like the "boomerang" keg closure in your other pics - neat idea
                          >

                          > On 2010-12-05, at 7:56 AM, Pete H wrote:
                          >

                          > > This pic of an oak stave from a wine barrel:
                          > >
                          > > http://tinyurl.com/38abjgg
                        • *
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                            > A form of silicon sheet is probably my best bet, but finding it is proving difficult.

                            how about a silicone cooking sheet or silicone cake pan
                          • Pete H
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 5, 2010
                              Hadn't thought of the cake pan. I need material about 3mm thick. Will check it out.

                              Thanks *