Re: Lalvin-ec 1118 for distilling?

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010

      Sidenote:

      That was 12 gallons of molasses, not lbs. that Harry's GGG-dad used.

      JB.

      > Alex,
      >
      > Now Harry's GGG dad took 8 lbs of old potatos which were boiled and put
      > in a muslin bag and let them sit in the fermentation which was 32
      > gallons water, 20 lbs. of sugar and 12 lbs. of molasses.   sb. gallons.

      snip

    • Todd Stewart
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 15, 2010

        Sorry to go back to this Lalvin Subject... but started a 3gallon batch this past weekend
        with 1 packet of Lalvin yeast... anyone have an idea on how long for that yeast to go
        terminal in about 1.100 wash (with nutrient)  ??

        Assuming 75% ADF, I should finish around 1.025... I can take a gravity reading, but
        would rather leave it alone... 2 weeks sound about right if left around 68?

        I've gotten use to the Turbo Yeast ripping through in 5 days.. Sorry, I get impatient, haha.

        -XLC

      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 17, 2010
          Todd,

          EC-1118 is a very good fast acting yeast. I have fermented a 1.1oo or
          so wash in 5 days *less if you use a good starter or the leftover trub*.
          Look up my recipe for the JEM wash in New Distillers.

          JB.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Todd Stewart <xlcranium@...> wrote:

          > Sorry to go back to this Lalvin Subject... but started a 3gallon batch
          this past
          > weekend
          > with 1 packet of Lalvin yeast... anyone have an idea on how long for
          that yeast
          > to go
          >
          > terminal in about 1.100 wash (with nutrient) ??
          >
          > Assuming 75% ADF, I should finish around 1.025... I can take a gravity
          reading,
          > but
          > would rather leave it alone... 2 weeks sound about right if left
          around 68?

          > I've gotten use to the Turbo Yeast ripping through in 5 days.. Sorry,
          I get
          > impatient, haha.
          >

          > -XLC

        • Todd Stewart
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 17, 2010
            Haha, miracle-gro and rockstar?? Did I find the right one??

            I'm all on board with the Rockstar addition!! And with saving the trub from the 1118
            that might go perfect with the Jaggery experiment I have lined up...
            (6.6#  Jaggery (3kg)   into  3 gal water)

            I typically combine brown sugar with white sugar and a touch of key lime juice
            to invert to start with...   Think I should worry about inverting Jaggery??

            I've made this recipe before and add cardamom and coriander to the pot for the
            second distillation.  I've been calling it Gol-Dhana Arrack..  I haven't found a person
            of Indian Decent yet to tell me if that's right or not