Re: Lalvin-ec 1118 for distilling?

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010

      Alex,

      The dextrose in potato dextrose agar (PDA) or potato dextrose broth (PDB) comes from corn syrup, not the potatoes.  Its the broth from the potatoes that has the nutrients:

      Potato dextrose agar (FDA M127)(abbreviated "PDA") and potato dextrose broth (abbreviated "PDB") are common microbiological media made from potato infusion, and dextrose (corn sugar). Potato dextrose agar is the most widely used medium for growing fungi and bacteria which attack living plants or decay dead plant matter.[1]

      Potato infusion can be made by boiling 300g of sliced (washed but unpeeled) potatoes in water for 30 minutes and then decanting or straining the broth through cheesecloth. Distilled water is added such that the total volume of the suspension is one litre. 20g dextrose and 20g agar agar powder is then added and the medium is sterilized by autoclaving at 15psi for 15 minutes.[2]   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_dextrose_agar

      Now Harry's GGG dad took 8 lbs of old potatos which were boiled and put in a muslin bag  and let them sit in the fermentation which was 32 gallons water, 20 lbs. of sugar and 12 lbs. of molasses.   Bossy's old lady friend that used the traditional way to ferment mango added "a couple of pounds".   I would try a couple of pounds of boiled potatoes for a 5 gallon ferementation, but try cutting them up and putting in cheesecloth before letting them soak in the fermentation.

      JB.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Castillo" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

      > Hey Jim,
      >
      > That´s what I thought! Addition of dextrose will smooth rum! Can you give me some pointers on what amount of potatoes (peeled/unpeeled?) or pure dextrose for a one gallon molasses/4 gallons water batch?
      >
      > At the time I´m writing this reply, I´m sipping two nice Dominican rum: Ron Atlantico Private Cask
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/34r4t2e
      >
      > and Cubaney 21 (years old) solera.
      >
      > http://www.oliverinternacional.com/Productos.php?s_MARCA=Cubaney&s_PRODNAME=Exquisito+21+A%F1os
      >
      > They´re so smooth!, that smell of chocolate and absolute fabulous flavors that explode in the mouth united with their unique smoothness it´s just amazing! but I´m reluctant to beleive that they´ve waited so many years to achive those masterpieces; simply uneconomically unbeliavable. So they must be using some of those propietary tricks that we don´t know yet and maybe that potato or dextrose addition during fermentation leads to that direction.
      >
      > Alex
      > the rumland aficionado

    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010

        Sidenote:

        That was 12 gallons of molasses, not lbs. that Harry's GGG-dad used.

        JB.

        > Alex,
        >
        > Now Harry's GGG dad took 8 lbs of old potatos which were boiled and put
        > in a muslin bag and let them sit in the fermentation which was 32
        > gallons water, 20 lbs. of sugar and 12 lbs. of molasses.   sb. gallons.

        snip

      • Todd Stewart
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 15, 2010

          Sorry to go back to this Lalvin Subject... but started a 3gallon batch this past weekend
          with 1 packet of Lalvin yeast... anyone have an idea on how long for that yeast to go
          terminal in about 1.100 wash (with nutrient)  ??

          Assuming 75% ADF, I should finish around 1.025... I can take a gravity reading, but
          would rather leave it alone... 2 weeks sound about right if left around 68?

          I've gotten use to the Turbo Yeast ripping through in 5 days.. Sorry, I get impatient, haha.

          -XLC

        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 17, 2010
            Todd,

            EC-1118 is a very good fast acting yeast. I have fermented a 1.1oo or
            so wash in 5 days *less if you use a good starter or the leftover trub*.
            Look up my recipe for the JEM wash in New Distillers.

            JB.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Todd Stewart <xlcranium@...> wrote:

            > Sorry to go back to this Lalvin Subject... but started a 3gallon batch
            this past
            > weekend
            > with 1 packet of Lalvin yeast... anyone have an idea on how long for
            that yeast
            > to go
            >
            > terminal in about 1.100 wash (with nutrient) ??
            >
            > Assuming 75% ADF, I should finish around 1.025... I can take a gravity
            reading,
            > but
            > would rather leave it alone... 2 weeks sound about right if left
            around 68?

            > I've gotten use to the Turbo Yeast ripping through in 5 days.. Sorry,
            I get
            > impatient, haha.
            >

            > -XLC

          • Todd Stewart
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 17, 2010
              Haha, miracle-gro and rockstar?? Did I find the right one??

              I'm all on board with the Rockstar addition!! And with saving the trub from the 1118
              that might go perfect with the Jaggery experiment I have lined up...
              (6.6#  Jaggery (3kg)   into  3 gal water)

              I typically combine brown sugar with white sugar and a touch of key lime juice
              to invert to start with...   Think I should worry about inverting Jaggery??

              I've made this recipe before and add cardamom and coriander to the pot for the
              second distillation.  I've been calling it Gol-Dhana Arrack..  I haven't found a person
              of Indian Decent yet to tell me if that's right or not