Re: re use yeast cake

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2010
      Hey All,

      Re-harvesting the yeast from the trub or lees of a fermentation may be
      done sucessfully if used soon after the first fermentation has finished
      or if it is refridgerated soon after the fermentation completes. I have
      used this method up to 20 times with EC-1118 yeast when I was
      experimenting with the JEM sugar wash.

      In Rum making and doing Sour Mashing for corn whiskey, this is pretty
      common practice also. Rum makers make use of this "Dunder" as they call
      it from both the fermenter trub and also re-add the backset from the
      distillations into new fermentations. Sour mashing uses the same
      concept.

      While I have never used that particular brand of Liquor Quik Distillers
      yeast, It should be fine to reuse in the same manner. However, due the
      yeast cells mutating after many re-harvests, I have read sources that
      recommend not re-harvesting yeast more then 10 times without adding new
      stock.

      HTH.

      JB.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@...> wrote:

      > Yeast "cake"?
      >
      > I have recently, for the very first time used the "slush" remaining in
      2 of my fermenters after draining the dextrose and water wash for
      boiling. The yeast used in both washes was SS Classic. The slush that
      remained was certainly not a "cake". Just a little wash and a pinkish
      white milk-like substance.

      > I collected 750ml from one fermenter and a litre from the 2nd,
      although more careful collection could have seen a litre from each.

      > I mixed up a new batch of dextrose and water and added the 750ml of
      slush. The fermentation started a day later and all but stopped about 2
      days later. Hydrometer readings were still high, so I added the litre of
      slush. The fermentation was still going 4 days later and is now almost
      complete.

      > I'm excited by the prospect of being able to re-use the yeast remains
      successfully, but am not yet confident as to what quantities are
      sufficient etc.

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Rice jonwrice@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello all,
      > >
      > > I'm new to this fine art and this is my first post.
      > >
      > > I've been a home brewer for several years and am just getting into
      > > distillation. I'm wondering about re using the yeast cake from the
      bottom of
      > > my fermenter. I've done this a few times with beer with good
      results.

      > > I'm currently using liquor quick super express (sp?) distillers
      yeast to
      > > make a rum like substance. I would use yeast nutrients if I did
      this.

      > > I also wouldn't re use the cake more than once or twice.
      > >
      > > Thoughts?
      > >
      > > Cheers!
      > > Jon

    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2010
        Sidenote,

        This same practice is also followed in the Baking world as Harry will
        tell ya when making Sour Dough Breads.

        JB.