  • juliet kent
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2010
      Photo
      Hi there, was wondering if you could advise me on which of the two photographed potstills would be the best.  Would appreciate it heaps.  The owners are selling on behalf and have no info on either of them but they are going cheap which fits with my budget for a change.  Cheers, Ju

      Photo
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2010
        Juliet,

        It's kinda hard to tell from just photos, but that top still looks like a toy made by someone with little experience. If that really is the condenser I'm seeing, it looks too small to condense vapor at a reasonable rate, and this from a guy who plays with tiny stills, in part.

        The bottom still, on the other hand, appears to be of good size and proportion, and the condenser is an old, good, standard design. Check if the top seals by itself, or if it requires flour paste. That's no biggy, because lots of us (but not me) rely on paste for sealing.

        What kinds of spirits are you looking at making? And welcome to the list.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller