Re: Adding hydrogen peroxide to aging liquors

    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 3, 2010
      Hiya Alex. Long time no hear.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

      > Hey Harry.
      >
      > Let me take a minute of your time to ask you a few questions.
      >
      > 1. Some time ago you posted about that the worst material for a boiler is aluminum, but could be ok to be used as a masher (i.e for whiskey or clarifying molasses). Reason is that SS same large (5 gallons) is about 10 times as expensive as the aluminun one.

      Alu is ok for a mash tun.

      > 2. For the same reason, as I know you clarify your molasses at a ratio of 4 to 1 (water/molasses) but reading Murthag from The alcohol textbook who recommends to dilute to 40 Brix (that´ll be 1 to 1),

      40°Brix is for initial clarification and step-feeding, but not for establishing a vigorous ferment. TAT4 (in my new Library section @
      http://distillers.tastylime.net/newSite/ ) has this to say...

      "Some plants are finding it necessary to sterilize and clarify before fermentation, while others employ dextranase to ensure maximum extraction of whatever sugar is present. This is accomplished
      by diluting the molasses to approximately 40°Brix, then heating it. Gums and other suspended solids drop out of the diluted solution.

      Molasses at 80°Brix will not ferment without dilution as the sugars and salts exert a very high osmotic pressure. It is therefore necessary to dilute the molasses to below 25°Brix. Yeast will not start fermenting rapidly above this point; and contamination may develop before the yeast become established since molasses is laden with contaminating bacteria. Some distilleries acidify the wash to help reduce infection. Sulfate added at this point can come out later as calcium sulfate scale in the wash column.
      Brix values of about 25° are the highest osmotic pressure that yeast will tolerate to begin fermentation, however this means a low sugar
      content and potential low fermentor alcohol levels. If sugar content is initially 46%, then dilution to 25°Brix results in only ~14.3% sugar (Calculated: 25 x 46/80 = 14.3). This results in about 8% alcohol. This is low by today's standards and results in high hydraulic loading and large volumes of effluent. One way to
      increase the alcohol content of the fermentation is by incremental feeding. After the fermentation has been going several hours and has dropped to 15 or 16°Brix, additional molasses (at 40°Brix) is added to bring concentration to 20°Brix and this mixture is then fermented. This allows yeast to become rapidly established."

      That's the way my GGGrandaddy did it. He was a poorly educated man, non-scientific. But he knew how to make good rum. :)

      Will diluting at a ratio of 2 to 1 (hot water/molasses) and letting it rest overnight work? Personally I don´t but after reading from several sources about it I´m considering it.

      Take your cue from the above. Trial & error, + keeping good notes. That's what makes for repeatability.

      > 3. Around here I can easly get the 3% H2O2 so plan to use some 10 ml per gallon, so how much time is needed to get aceptable results, two months perhaps (now I age several months but an extra help won´t hurt)

      A lot depends on the size of the aging vessel. Small casks up to 6 gallons or so, or equivalent containers & oak chips, will age fine in a couple of months. Bigger 200 litre kegs will take much longer. It's about wood surface to liquid exposure ratio.

      > 4. About the aquarium pump I think I saw a thread called like chateau Michellin or some similar name in which It was agreed that those pumps had a plastic diagphram with detrimental results in the flavor of the booze, so what your saying is that it could be used putting in between some kind of thumper?

      Someone else on here took the simple step of setting the pump up in the reverse, to SUCK air through the spirit using a copper tube snorkel inlet.
      Air, copper snorkel into product container, another outlet attached to the pump's normal air INTAKE. Works like a charm. The only mod I would make is to fit a simple gauze filter to the snorkel to keep the bugs out. But it's a brilliant idea nonetheless.

      > Thanks
      >
      > Alex

      YW.
    • mav
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 5, 2010

        > Hiya Alex. Long time no hear.
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008" castillo.alex2008@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey Harry.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > >
        > > Alex
        > >
        > YW.
        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        Someone else on here took the simple step of setting the pump up in the reverse,
        to SUCK air through the spirit using a copper tube snorkel inlet.
        Air, copper snorkel into product container, another outlet attached to the
        pump's normal air INTAKE. Works like a charm. The only mod I would make is to
        fit a simple gauze filter to the snorkel to keep the bugs out. But it's a
        brilliant idea nonetheless.

        Hi Harry and every one, I must missed the H2O2 topic or forgot about so I'm glad it has come up again, I'll will try it this Rum season, in a few weeks hopefully.

        It's been too cold down here in Victoria (AUS), even Darwin recorded it's coldest day in November 3/11/10 at 25.6 C, broke a nine year record.

        I better get to my point, the simple modification to a cheap fish air pump that Harry mentioned.

        Just simply seal the air pump case and a another tube barb like in the picture below.

        http://tinyurl.com/2e72jmj

        [IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/mavnkaf/P1010006.jpg[/IMG]

        If you look around a bit there you might see a new mod for Harry's cross flow LM/VM still head.  It isn't Harry's secret one but it's a good one to try out.  I hope it's ok to mention here?

        Cheers Marc

        Ps. Rum will come soon and all will be equal, at least in my worldJ

      • duds2u
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 23, 2010

          > Comments inline...
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008" <castillo.alex2008@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey ZBob
          > >
          > > You´re taking about message 40931 from here Distillers, where Harry recomends 1 teaspoon in 4 liters.
          >
          > Yes. Specifically, I use 6% H2O2 available at most chemist's. But the 3% stuff from the chain stores will do. Just double the dosage (obviously).
          > Dosage:
          > H2O2 @ 6% = 1 tsp (5ml) per 4 Lit spirit @ 65% abv
          >
          >Big snip
          >
          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

          Harry, How often would you add this in the aging process, 3 months, 6 months or longer?
          Cheers
          Mal
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 24, 2010
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@...> wrote:

            > Harry, How often would you add this in the aging process, 3 months, 6 months or longer?
            > Cheers
            > Mal

            Once only, at the start of aging when you add your oak chips.

            Slainte!
            regards harry
          • atticpc
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 26, 2010
              Hi Harry

              In the thread you say to only add hydrogen peroxide once right at the start of the ageing process. I have a batch of UJSM which has been ageing on oak for the last 6 months or so. I'm not convinced about the taste - it seems to have a woody undertone that is not particularly nice.

              So any thoughts on what would happen if you add the hydrogen peroxide 6 months into the process?

              Thanks
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 26, 2010
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "atticpc" <atticpc@...> wrote:

                > Hi Harry
                >
                > In the thread you say to only add hydrogen peroxide once right at the start of the ageing process. I have a batch of UJSM which has been ageing on oak for the last 6 months or so. I'm not convinced about the taste - it seems to have a woody undertone that is not particularly nice.
                >
                > So any thoughts on what would happen if you add the hydrogen peroxide 6 months into the process?
                >
                > Thanks

                Sounds to me like it's over-oaked. If that has happened at 6 months you must be doing small lots (under 2 gallons?) and/or you may be using too much oak. 5g per litre is the ideal dosage rate for small container aging.

                Best bet is to take it off wood and blend in 'neutral' clear spirit a little at a time, until tasteing determines you've evened it out some and made it more acceptable. In future, test taste your aging spirits at more frequent intervals. There's an optimum time in/on wood, beyond which spirits actually degrade as a single spirit and are only useful as blenders. For small container aging ( <2 gal ) 2 months appears to produce a nice balance of colour & flavours. But it's up to you to test & determine for yourself what you like and when to remove the wood.

                HTH

                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 29, 2010
                  Hi Harry

                  Yah - I figure that you are correct and that I over oaked - so chances are that I will just re-run and turn it into vodka. Probably work OK for a hot whiskey though. I had been using about 5g per litre, but ageing in 5 litre demijohn - so quantities were a bit small.

                  I thought that I had the quantity of oak down at a nice low level - so was giving it plenty of time. Ah well. Lessons learned.
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 29, 2010
                    White rum manufacturers remove oak with activated carbon. Wine makers remove tannins with gelatine fining.
                    wal

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 1 3:00 AM
                      Hi Wal

                      I will try that - much easier than going back to the start all over again.

                      Harry - just looked back on my notes. I was actually using nearly 10gms per litre - so way over oaked.

                      One of my plans at this stage is to fire up a new batch of UJSM and do a few stripping runs. Then on one spirit run add in some of the over oaked batch and then oak again.

                      The second approach is going to be to do the spirit run and cuts. Then do up a batch of 50% over oaked and 50% new and oak again on a very small quantity of oak. Will probably use pre used oak.

                      All a part of the fun of the craft.
                    • Pete H
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 2 1:21 AM
                        My hardly scientific approach - first time round, was to soak oak chips in 95%abv vodka. The qty's are approx. I half filled a 1.75 ltr bottle with oak chips cut to fit through the neck. A Jack D bottle was ideal for this with its wide neck.

                        When bottling a dark rum, (vodka & essence) I add 25 ml of the oaked 95% to 2.25 ltrs of the rum. I also have a vanilla quill sitting in 95% vodka. I add 5ml of this liquid to the rum.

                        So far, I'm liking the taste.

                        In this thread it has been mentioned that 5gm per ltr should be used. Is that 5gm of chips?

                        ------------------------------

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 2 2:42 AM
                          If you do the calculations, 5g/l is equivalent to a 200l oak barrel.
                          wal

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 2 2:45 AM
                            Experiments show that about 60%abv is best to extract water and alcohol soluble components in oak.
                            wal

                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 2 3:07 AM
                              Not being aware of the experiments, I took the approach that the purer the alcohol, the better it is able to penetrate the oak and leach its desirable properties.

                              ------------------------------

                              > Experiments show that about 60%abv is best to extract water and alcohol soluble components in oak.
                              > wal
                              >
                              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > My hardly scientific approach - first time round, was to soak oak chips in 95%abv vodka. The qty's are approx. I half filled a 1.75 ltr bottle with oak chips cut to fit through the neck. A Jack D bottle was ideal for this with its wide neck.
                              > >
                              > > When bottling a dark rum, (vodka & essence) I add 25 ml of the oaked 95% to 2.25 ltrs of the rum. I also have a vanilla quill sitting in 95% vodka. I add 5ml of this liquid to the rum.
                              > >
                              > > So far, I'm liking the taste.
                              > >
                              > > In this thread it has been mentioned that 5gm per ltr should be used. Is that 5gm of chips?
                              > >
                              > > ------------------------------
                              > >
                              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "atticpc" <atticpc@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Hi Wal
                              > > >
                              > > > I will try that - much easier than going back to the start all over again.
                              > > >
                              > > > Harry - just looked back on my notes. I was actually using nearly 10gms per litre - so way over oaked.
                              > > >
                              > > > One of my plans at this stage is to fire up a new batch of UJSM and do a few stripping runs. Then on one spirit run add in some of the over oaked batch and then oak again.
                              > > >
                              > > > The second approach is going to be to do the spirit run and cuts. Then do up a batch of 50% over oaked and 50% new and oak again on a very small quantity of oak. Will probably use pre used oak.
                              > > >
                              > > > All a part of the fun of the craft.

                            • *
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 2 7:42 AM

                                > Experiments show that about 60%abv is best to extract water and alcohol soluble components in oak.
                                > wal

                                what about rums? there are plenty of high ABV rums mainly the 151's

                                are these oaked at lower abvs or at bottle strength?
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 3 2:36 AM
                                  The penetration in a barrel is about 1mm. Note that commercial whisky/whiskey distilleries store/age at 60%abv.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 3 2:41 AM
                                    Don't know. But rum can contain caramel which is quite dominant.
                                    wal

                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "*" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                                    > > Experiments show that about 60%abv is best to extract water and alcohol soluble components in oak.
                                    > > wal
                                    > >

                                    > what about rums? there are plenty of high ABV rums mainly the 151's
                                    >
                                    > are these oaked at lower abvs or at bottle strength?

                                  • jamesonbeam1
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 4 4:30 PM
                                      Good,

                                      Almost all rums are aged, mostly in used oak barrels. Depending on the
                                      country of origin, they are aged for a year or more. You need to
                                      specify which 151 your talking about.

                                      JB.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 4 5:10 PM

                                        > Good,
                                        >
                                        > Almost all rums are aged, mostly in used oak barrels. Depending on the
                                        > country of origin, they are aged for a year or more. You need to
                                        > specify which 151 your talking about.
                                        >
                                        > JB.

                                        for the sake of discussion ill say
                                        Black Seal
                                        Bermuda

                                        i know most rums are aged on oak. question is if you have a 151 proof rum what proof is it aged? we know whisky is best aged at 130 proof
                                        is it better to age rum at higher abv?
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 4 8:56 PM
                                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "*" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                                          > for the sake of discussion ill say
                                          > Black Seal
                                          > Bermuda
                                          >
                                          > i know most rums are aged on oak. question is if you have a 151 proof rum what proof is it aged? we know whisky is best aged at 130 proof
                                          > is it better to age rum at higher abv?

                                          Define "better". Different is the word I think. The balance is yours to explore...

                                          "Most rum producers age their rum at 70% to 80% alcohol. A few dilute their spirits to nearly bottle-strength, 40 to 45% alcohol by volume, before putting the barrels away for aging. A lower alcohol content during aging tends to leech slightly lighter esters and phenols from the wooden barrels while a higher alcohol content will attract heavier compounds and associated flavors."

                                          Source: http://www.ministryofrum.com/article_age_matters.php

                                        • Pete H
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 5 3:56 AM
                                            This pic of an oak stave from a wine barrel:

                                            http://tinyurl.com/38abjgg

                                            seems to indicate that wine (say 12% abv average) penetrates far deeper than spirits as quoted by wal. In fact 10 times deeper at 10mm.

                                            Would not 95% or even 60% abv spirit be stronger than wine and thus penetrate deeper?

                                            ------------------------------

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 5 4:02 AM
                                              I have been corrected. A penetration of 6mm is not unusual.
                                              wal

                                              > The penetration in a barrel is about 1mm. Note that commercial whisky/whiskey distilleries store/age at 60%abv.
                                              > wal
                                              >
                                              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Not being aware of the experiments, I took the approach that the purer the alcohol, the better it is able to penetrate the oak and leach its desirable properties.
                                              > >
                                              > > ------------------------------

                                              > > > Experiments show that about 60%abv is best to extract water and alcohol soluble components in oak.
                                              > > > wal

                                            • Paul Williams
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 5 5:35 AM
                                                I like the "boomerang" keg closure in your other pics - neat idea

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 5 2:50 PM
                                                  Thanks Paul,

                                                  I wanted a simple to operate closure, and because the column is open to the air - ie., no pressure build up - this method works fine.

                                                  I do have to investigate a better gasket material. The foam I have eventually collapses with the weight and heat, and then I have to cut a replacement.

                                                  A form of silicon sheet is probably my best bet, but finding it is proving difficult.

                                                  -------------------------

                                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Williams <paul.stewart.williams@...> wrote:

                                                  > I like the "boomerang" keg closure in your other pics - neat idea
                                                  >

                                                  > On 2010-12-05, at 7:56 AM, Pete H wrote:
                                                  >

                                                  > > This pic of an oak stave from a wine barrel:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > http://tinyurl.com/38abjgg
                                                • *
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 5 5:18 PM
                                                    > A form of silicon sheet is probably my best bet, but finding it is proving difficult.

                                                    how about a silicone cooking sheet or silicone cake pan
                                                  • Pete H
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Dec 5 5:39 PM
                                                      Hadn't thought of the cake pan. I need material about 3mm thick. Will check it out.

                                                      Thanks *