Re: Molasses

    Message 1 of 44 , Nov 2, 2010
      That's fine Pete. How do I know? because I'm in QLD also. With a loooong history of making rum. :)

      Slainte! regards Harry

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@...> wrote:

      > Found me a supplier of molasses. Spoke with their distributor who says they get it from the factory (CSR in Queensland) without any additives. I notice it is called Blackstrap. Is there anything obvious in this analysis that makes it unsuitable?
      >
      > ANALYSIS
      > Potassium (K) 2.0%
      > Calcium (Ca) 1.15%
      > Magnesium (Mg) 0.61%
      > Sulphur (S) 0.5%
      > Sodium (Na) 0.10%
      > Phosphorous (P) 0.07%
      > Iron (Fe) 246.00 mg/kg
      > Manganese (Mn) 82.40 mg/kg
      > Zinc (Zn) 11.60 mg/kg
      > Copper (Cu) 11.00 mg/kg
      >
      > The product brochure also states that the molasses contains sucrose, glucose and fructose but not to what extent.

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Pete,
      > >
      > > When using feedstock grade molasses, check ingredients very carefully.
      > > Most molasses of this type contains persevatives like proprionic acid
      > > (see my posting
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/38508
      > > very deadly to yeast.
      > >
      > > If you find an unadulterated source, then its fine to use. ZB has used
      > > a feedstock grade made by Land O' Lakes Purina that is unaduterated and
      > > works well. See the thread "Calling all Rummies"
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/message/47056
      > > stuff ZB uses (if the picture comes out)
      > >
      > > JB.
      > >

      > > [Molasses Label]
      > >

      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Every post I read about making rum makes my mouth water. I'm dead keen
      > > to try, but, I'm unable to locate molasses suitable for human
      > > consumption.
      > > >
      > > > I bought a couple kgs of molasses from a feedstock supplier and asked
      > > them about its quality. Seems it's good only for animals and may contain
      > > salts. Given that the fermented result is going to have the guts boiled
      > > out of it, is there any reason for concern, or should I forget about it?
      > > >
      > > > Apparently landscapers also use their molasses. They spray it onto
      > > newly rolled lawn at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 5 litres water.
      > > >
      > > > cheers

    • *
      Message 44 of 44 , Nov 3, 2010
        i got some, was told "food grade" again. no additives of any kind. ill do a little testing first. if all fails there will be a lot of happy deer around. well maybe one not so happy LOL.