Re: Molasses

  • Pete H
    Message 1 of 44 , Nov 2, 2010
      Found me a supplier of molasses. Spoke with their distributor who says they get it from the factory (CSR in Queensland) without any additives. I notice it is called Blackstrap. Is there anything obvious in this analysis that makes it unsuitable?

      ANALYSIS
      Potassium (K) 2.0%
      Calcium (Ca) 1.15%
      Magnesium (Mg) 0.61%
      Sulphur (S) 0.5%
      Sodium (Na) 0.10%
      Phosphorous (P) 0.07%
      Iron (Fe) 246.00 mg/kg
      Manganese (Mn) 82.40 mg/kg
      Zinc (Zn) 11.60 mg/kg
      Copper (Cu) 11.00 mg/kg

      The product brochure also states that the molasses contains sucrose, glucose and fructose but not to what extent.

      > Pete,
      >
      > When using feedstock grade molasses, check ingredients very carefully.
      > Most molasses of this type contains persevatives like proprionic acid
      > (see my posting
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/38508
      > very deadly to yeast.
      >
      > If you find an unadulterated source, then its fine to use. ZB has used
      > a feedstock grade made by Land O' Lakes Purina that is unaduterated and
      > works well. See the thread "Calling all Rummies"
      > stuff ZB uses (if the picture comes out)
      >
      > JB.
      >

      > [Molasses Label]
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Every post I read about making rum makes my mouth water. I'm dead keen
      > to try, but, I'm unable to locate molasses suitable for human
      > consumption.
      > >
      > > I bought a couple kgs of molasses from a feedstock supplier and asked
      > them about its quality. Seems it's good only for animals and may contain
      > salts. Given that the fermented result is going to have the guts boiled
      > out of it, is there any reason for concern, or should I forget about it?
      > >
      > > Apparently landscapers also use their molasses. They spray it onto
      > newly rolled lawn at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 5 litres water.
      > >
      > > cheers

    • *
      Message 44 of 44 , Nov 3, 2010
        i got some, was told "food grade" again. no additives of any kind. ill do a little testing first. if all fails there will be a lot of happy deer around. well maybe one not so happy LOL.