Re: Molasses

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 44 , Nov 1, 2010

      Pete,

      If you find an unadulterated source, then its fine to use.  ZB has used a feedstock grade made by Land O' Lakes Purina that is unaduterated and works well.  See the thread "Calling all Rummies"  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/message/47056   This is the stuff ZB uses (if the picture comes out)

      JB.

      Molasses Label

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@...> wrote:

      > Every post I read about making rum makes my mouth water. I'm dead keen to try, but, I'm unable to locate molasses suitable for human consumption.
      >
      > I bought a couple kgs of molasses from a feedstock supplier and asked them about its quality. Seems it's good only for animals and may contain salts. Given that the fermented result is going to have the guts boiled out of it, is there any reason for concern, or should I forget about it?
      >
      > Apparently landscapers also use their molasses. They spray it onto newly rolled lawn at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 5 litres water.
      >
      > cheers

    • *
      Message 44 of 44 , Nov 3, 2010
        i got some, was told "food grade" again. no additives of any kind. ill do a little testing first. if all fails there will be a lot of happy deer around. well maybe one not so happy LOL.