Re: Rum Wash

  • Pete H
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 31, 2010
      Thanks Shotman,

      That's one bundle of good info. Now I just got to try it.

      -------------------------------

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shotman" <shotman@...> wrote:

      > Hi Pete,
      > First wouldn't call it my recipe. If your a member of New_Distillers group also look at the posts by Alex from the Dominican Republic. I used his 4 to 1 mix. That is I used 4 bottles of filtered water to a bottle of Molasses that is all natural and unsulphered. I had to get food grade. Got a bottle a week with groceries till I had 8. So mixed 8-16 ounce bottles of Molasses to 32 bottles of water. Ended up with a tad over 5 gals. I hydrated and proofed a tablespoon of distillers yeast and it foamed up so I add a second tablespoon and put the lid on with an aquarium heater to keep it at about 80 Degrees F. The ORG was 1.084 on 10/09/2010. Then checked it on 10/24/2010 and it was at 1.012 with some sparkely bubbeling but getting that dry wine taste. I'll check it again in the morning and should be finished. There is no activity I could see now. I'll rack it off the sediment and run it once thru my pot still (2 1/2 gal at a time) keeping all but foreshots. Then when I can do the final run I check each 200 ml. I mix it with water (backset if I have some) 25% to 30 % and usually takes 100ml to 150 ml to get to hearts. Then I keep it down to 60% or a tad lower depending on the taste and smell, the rest to 20% as tails. I'll check the taste again the next day then put it in the refrigerator for a day. I cut it with cold filtered water to 40% or 50% pouring it thru coffee filters all thru the run and cut. Always sparkeling clear by doing it cold. Had some haze up once warm but no problem for me since doing it cold. I have used brown sugar and Mollasses a good bit. This is my 1st water and Molasses only batch. Hope this helps you some.
      > Have a great day,
      > shotman

    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2010
        Moss,

        When adding that much old fermentation and 30% backset, your
        fermentation will suffer from lack of disolved oxygen in the wash.
        There is no available O2 in old fermentations or backset...

        4 to 6 hours of aeration is usually required when doing a "sour mash"
        type fermentation. Oxygen is reqired during the first 36 hours or so of
        the exponential growth phase in a fermentation, otherwise it will suffer
        from a low yeast cell population. This is the probable reason your
        fermentations are taking so long.

        Tis also a good idea to use the trub as soon as possible after the
        previous fermentation has stopped or keep the trub refrigerated after
        use. There is no need to add 20% old fermentation when the yeast cells
        are only in the trub... Frankly I see no reason wasting 7 or 8 dollars
        for a turbo yeast (that contains nutrients which will cause foaming if
        added to an already fermenting wash) when making rum, which should never
        ferment about 12 to 14% ABV.

        JB.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MoSS" <zedrally@...> wrote:

        > snip
        >
        > >I hydrated and proofed a tablespoon of distillers yeast and it foamed
        >up so I add a second tablespoon.
        >
        > Now why is that?
        > Mine did the same, although this time it hasn't started fermenting.
        >
        > Previously, I had saved 20% of the fermentation, added 30% of the
        backset, topped up with molasses and sugar to the desired S.G.
        > Generally it started off fermenting by itself.
        > Not this time, so I added half a packet of Still spirits "Classic" and
        it foamed over, horrible mess everywhere.
        > 7 days on and there is no activity. In contrast a clear that I started
        the same day has nearly finished.
        > This is a worry to me as I've got a year old "mother" and it has been
        developing it's own unique flavour. I really don't want to throw it out
        and start again, it would put me a year behind.

        > Any ideas?

      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2010
          Jim,

          I've used Smiley's method for caramel (all I use it for is rum), but this one from mm123@... has turned out to be the best I've seen. It progresses quickly, and at the end you have liquid caramel, much easier to use that the rock-hard stuff Smiley's method gives.  It also takes less time, but you have to be there every second and watch it like a hawk!

          For anyone who doesn't know, any caramel recipe involves high-temperature melted sugar at the edge of burning, and that's why the reaction with water at the end is so energetic.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple postiller

          To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: mm123@...
          Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:17:05 -0700
          Subject: Re: [Distillers] Caramel

          If you've done any cooking you'll be more use to this.

          Don't bother with the water or other liquids, sugar needs to get hot to caramalize and at those temperatures, there's not a lot of water left over and you just spend time evapourating water before making caramel. Here's my way. Get a heavy stainless-steel pan. I use a thick tri-layer one which distributes the heat better than plain stainless. Put in your sugur and put pan onto hot plate. As soon as you see some action turn the plate right down to low, residual heat will make the reaction work. The next part goes fast. The sugar melts and starts to turn brown, use a wooden spoon to give it a mix and get all the crystals melted.

          The next bit is even faster, as soon as it hits the colour you want throw in a cup of water and stand well back. Leave it too long before throwing in the water and you get charcoal.

          The water flashboils (so really stand well back) and stops the reaction. Then over a gentle heat stir to disolve the caramel into the remaining water. Pure caramel isn't sweet, but you will never make pure caramel so there will be some residual sweetness from unreacted sugar. The darker the caramel the less sweet it becomes and the more of a charcoal taste you get. Sugar is cheep enough, make 3 or 4 trials and decide what taste you like best and then just go by colour.

          > Very nice recipe I have followed by Ian Smiley below that was listed in
          > American Distiller.
          >
          > JB.

          ----snip----
        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 1, 2010
            Thanks ZB,

            Will try that (love getting scalded by hot burning sugar).. However,
            being the lazy, ornery one I am, ive swiched from using caremel to just
            adding straight molasses and some pure vanilla extract for a similar
            effect.

            JB.

            Note: For some cinnamon flavors, a cinnamon stick soaked in it for a
            few hours works nicely - but be careful - can get too strong very
            fast...

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 1, 2010
              Any time, Waldo :D,

              Actually, it doesn't really spit molten sugar, but it sure does put out some steam real quick. If you got caught with your face hanging over it when yo added the water it won; help your ornery, but you'll sure as hell move faster than most lazy guys!

              I'll bet if I use a milder, ummm, less agricultural grade of molasses, that just might make a great rum.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              > Thanks ZB,
              >
              > Will try that (love getting scalded by hot burning sugar).. However,
              > being the lazy, ornery one I am, ive swiched from using caremel to just
              > adding straight molasses and some pure vanilla extract for a similar
              > effect.
              >
              > JB.

              ----snip----
            • MoSS
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 7, 2010
                Saved it...

                In frustration last week I decanted 2L of wash & mixed it with 2L of water into a bucket, watched it for a few hours, nothing, so I moved it into the "wash" room and left it. Looked at it over the next few days as I was on my way to work...nothing...then checked it for the last time yesterday before getting ready to throw the lot out and it was off and running.

                Why it has taken so long to start fermenting is a mystery.

                So, I have decanted 10L of inactive wash, added the bucket activated to the remainder and topped it all up with fresh water. Fingers crossed, it's a slowly fermenting.

                Lesson learnt.
                Rum "mother" saved.

                MoSS

                > Moss,
                >
                > When adding that much old fermentation and 30% backset, your
                > fermentation will suffer from lack of disolved oxygen in the wash.
                > There is no available O2 in old fermentations or backset...
                >
                > 4 to 6 hours of aeration is usually required when doing a "sour mash"
                > type fermentation. Oxygen is reqired during the first 36 hours or so of
                > the exponential growth phase in a fermentation, otherwise it will suffer
                > from a low yeast cell population. This is the probable reason your
                > fermentations are taking so long.
                >
                > Tis also a good idea to use the trub as soon as possible after the
                > previous fermentation has stopped or keep the trub refrigerated after
                > use. There is no need to add 20% old fermentation when the yeast cells
                > are only in the trub... Frankly I see no reason wasting 7 or 8 dollars
                > for a turbo yeast (that contains nutrients which will cause foaming if
                > added to an already fermenting wash) when making rum, which should never
                > ferment about 12 to 14% ABV.
                >
                > JB.
                >

                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MoSS" <zedrally@> wrote:
                > >

                > > snip
                > >
                > > >I hydrated and proofed a tablespoon of distillers yeast and it foamed
                > >up so I add a second tablespoon.
                > >
                > > Now why is that?
                > > Mine did the same, although this time it hasn't started fermenting.
                > >
                > > Previously, I had saved 20% of the fermentation, added 30% of the
                > backset, topped up with molasses and sugar to the desired S.G.
                > > Generally it started off fermenting by itself.
                > > Not this time, so I added half a packet of Still spirits "Classic" and
                > it foamed over, horrible mess everywhere.
                > > 7 days on and there is no activity. In contrast a clear that I started
                > the same day has nearly finished.
                > > This is a worry to me as I've got a year old "mother" and it has been
                > developing it's own unique flavour. I really don't want to throw it out
                > and start again, it would put me a year behind.
                > >
                > > Any ideas?

              • *
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                  "4 to 6 hours of aeration is usually required when doing a "sour mash" type fermentation. Oxygen is reqired during the first 36 hours or so of the exponential growth phase in a fermentation"

                  would hydrogen peroxide help oxygenate a wash?
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "*" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                    > "4 to 6 hours of aeration is usually required when doing a "sour mash" type fermentation. Oxygen is reqired during the first 36 hours or so of the exponential growth phase in a fermentation"
                    >
                    > would hydrogen peroxide help oxygenate a wash?

                    No. Not nearly enough O2.

                    http://distillers.tastylime.net