Rum Wash

  • gavinflett
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 29, 2010
      Helo everyone, I have done a rum wash and would like to know if there is a better method of clarifying the wash than Sparkeloid. Or if my environmental conditions are incorrect.

      I have used the product, twice now actually and although it has significantly cleared the wash it still remains cloudy. There is however a glimmer of hope at the top of the carboy. It's a half inch layer of cleared wash that I can see through, but there are still a minute amount of bubbles coming up and the cloudy layer is having trouble dropping completely.

      Are the bubbles what is preventing the cloudy part from dropping, or am I just too impatient? I took it out of the anaerobic phase on the 26th and have racked it three times now (once a day).

      P.S. My barley mashes take one day to go clear so it's not the product itself. Perhaps it's the yeast, I tried Fleishman's Bakers Yeast this time around
    • shotman
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 30, 2010
        Good morning gavinflett,
        Why would you try to make your Rum wash clear? Mine is finished now and I will do the 1st run tommorrow on it. It's just water and Molasses and is almost black. If yours has any Molasses in it, it will be dark also. It goes in the pot still dark but comes out sparkling clear. Even my Corn mashes are a dark yellow. I let it settle a day or so, rack the deep yellow wash off and run it.
        Have a good one,
        shotman

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 30, 2010
          At 07:17 AM 10/30/2010, you wrote:

          >Good morning gavinflett,
          >Why would you try to make your Rum wash clear? Mine is finished now
          >and I will do the 1st run tommorrow on it. It's just water and
          >Molasses and is almost black. If yours has any Molasses in it, it
          >will be dark also. It goes in the pot still dark but comes out
          >sparkling clear. Even my Corn mashes are a dark yellow. I let it
          >settle a day or so, rack the deep yellow wash off and run it.

          Different strokes I guess. BEcause I use hotwater heater elements to
          heat my boiler, I'm concerned about any suspended material burning
          onto the elements. So, I am content to let it clear naturally. I
          just do modest planning to ensure that the production, waiting,
          distilling, consumption equation is balanced.
          I currently have 10 gallowns of sugar wash for neutral spirits and 35
          gallons of some old Italian guy's old wine to put through. The wine
          will end up as brandy after the four stripping runs to get it all
          through my 10 gallon still and then a controlled run to collect that
          which will be the brandy.

          Derek
        • Pete H
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 30, 2010
            Shotman, Will you share your recipe?

            How much and type of sugar, ie., dextrose, white, brown?
            How much and type of yeast, water?
            Any other additives?
            Pitching temp, fermenting temp?

            After distilling,
            What %ABV do you cut to?
            Do you filter or polish the spirit?
            Any flavourings added?

            I'm keen to try, and apparently I can use a reflux still if I remove the packing.

            Any info will be helpful.

            ------------------

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 30, 2010
              Hi Pete,
              First wouldn't call it my recipe. If your a member of New_Distillers group also look at the posts by Alex from the Dominican Republic. I used his 4 to 1 mix. That is I used 4 bottles of filtered water to a bottle of Molasses that is all natural and unsulphered. I had to get food grade. Got a bottle a week with groceries till I had 8. So mixed 8-16 ounce bottles of Molasses to 32 bottles of water. Ended up with a tad over 5 gals. I hydrated and proofed a tablespoon of distillers yeast and it foamed up so I add a second tablespoon and put the lid on with an aquarium heater to keep it at about 80 Degrees F. The ORG was 1.084 on 10/09/2010. Then checked it on 10/24/2010 and it was at 1.012 with some sparkely bubbeling but getting that dry wine taste. I'll check it again in the morning and should be finished. There is no activity I could see now. I'll rack it off the sediment and run it once thru my pot still (2 1/2 gal at a time) keeping all but foreshots. Then when I can do the final run I check each 200 ml. I mix  it with water (backset if I have some) 25% to 30 % and usually takes 100ml to 150 ml to get to hearts. Then I keep it down to 60% or a tad lower depending on the taste and smell, the rest to 20% as tails. I'll check the taste again the next day then put it in the refrigerator for a day. I cut it with cold filtered water to 40% or 50% pouring it thru coffee filters all thru the run and cut. Always sparkeling clear by doing it cold. Had some haze up once warm but no problem for me since doing it cold. I have used brown sugar and Mollasses a good bit. This is my 1st water and Molasses only batch. Hope this helps you some.
              Have a great day,
              shotman

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 30, 2010
                Shotman I still did not get an answer to the clarity question though. I've always been told not to distill a cloudy wash. How will that affect the flavour?

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 31, 2010
                  Hi gavin,
                  I use propane or a hot plate so don't need really clear wash  to prevent it burning on an internal element. I do let them settle a day or so after they have finished and are good and bitter tasteing. That's always been enough so far. When I rack it off I stay about an inch above the sediment which is mostly yeast I suppose. Our more knowlageble distillers can tell us what else may be in the sediment and cause off or bad tastes if you don't let them settle out. On my very 1st run which was a brown sugar and molasses Rum I had read to run it all (before these wonderful lists). I gave it a good stir and ran it. Then ran it again. Not to good unless you like drinking yeast cause that's what it tasted and smelled like..yeast. So far I haven't added anything to help settle it out. I have racked it into another bucket let it set and racked it again just to see how much more would settle out. It was just enough to coat the bottom so I just rack right into the pot now.  I just don't get any of the bottom stuff in the beer.
                  Have a good one,
                  shotman

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 31, 2010

                    Very nice recipe I have followed by Ian Smiley below that was listed in American Distiller.

                    JB.

                    MAKING RUM
                    Rum is an aromatic spirit that's distilled in a pot still, or a reflux still operated in a low-separation mode. The distillation process is the same as that for whiskey, except rum is distilled from a cane-sugar substrate, whereas whiskey is distilled from grain mash. After distillation, the rum is diluted and infused with burnt sugar (i.e. caramel) to give it its characteristic dark-rum flavour and colour. Some rums are oak aged before they are infused with burnt sugar.
                    The intensity of the rum flavour is a function of the proportion of molasses in the mix. Straight molasses and water would yield a very rich, intense rum flavour. Whereas, say ¼ molasses and ¾ white sugar would produce a much milder-flavoured rum. Individual distillers can adjust the proportions of molasses and sugar to their preference. Also, raw cane sugars such as demara, turbinado, or simply "brown sugar" are types of sugar that still have molasses mixed in them in varying proportions, and are widely used to make rum. However, most distillers find that blending molasses and white sugar affords better control over the proportion of molasses.
                    To make rum on a small scale, a home-distiller or micro-distiller can ferment a mixture of molasses, sugar, and water and distil it as an aromatic spirit, then add some caramel made by boiling sugar and water until it burns to a deep, dark brown colour. A recipe for a medium-bodied dark rum follows.

                    Ingredients
                    • 6 gal (23L) Warm water
                    • 6 Lbs (2.75K) Fancy molasses (i.e. good quality table molasses)
                    • 4.5 Lbs (2K) White sugar
                    • 10-tsp (50g) Diammonium phosphate (DAP), or Distiller's Nutrient
                    • 6-tsp (30g) Whiskey yeast, or 1 pkg of whiskey yeast for 25L

                    Method

                    Place all ingredients except the water and the yeast in a 7.5 gal (30L) fermenter. Add 3 gal (12L) of warm water and mix thoroughly to dissolve the ingredients. Fill up the fermenter with water to 6 gal (23L). The SG should be about 1.070. Ensure the temperature is under 100 oF (38 oC) and mix in the yeast. Keep the fermenter lightly covered (i.e. such that the CO2 pressure can escape) and in an ambient temperature of between 80 and 90 oF (27 and 33 oC).
                    Fermentation should take 7 to 10 days. The SG at the end of fermentation (i.e. after bubbling stops) should be about 1.000 or less.
                    Siphon the clear liquid off the sediment into a pot still, or whatever still you will be using. Do a crude beer-strippping run on it and continue the distillation until the total distillate received (i.e. low-wines) is down to 25% abv.
                    Clean the still out thoroughly, and place the low-wines back in the still. Bring the still to boil at a heat level suitable for running off an aromatic spirit.
                    When the distillate begins to run, receive the first spirit (i.e. heads) into a receiver labeled "Heads". Begin smelling a tasting the spirit right away, and when the ester and acetone smell and taste subside, begin-cut to the hearts phase. Switch to a separate receiver for the hearts. This begin-cut will take place at between 80 and 85% abv, depending on the still.
                    Continue to smell and taste the spirit periodically as it's dripping out of the still during the hearts phase, and monitor the still-head temperature. As the temperature tops over 90 oF (33 oC), watch out for taste changes in the flavour of the spirit. Towards the end of the hearts phase, the spirit will start losing its sweetness and begin taking on a grainy, unpleasant flavour. This is the point where the run is end-cut to the tails phase. Switch the receiver to a tails collector. The end-cut will typically take place when the evolving distillate is at about 65%, and the head temperature is around 92 oF (33.5 oC).
                    The hearts phase is the rum and it will be between 70 and 77% abv. Dilute the rum to bottling strength (i.e. 40 or 50% abv), and begin preparing the caramel.
                    To make the caramel, mix about 3.5 ounces (100g) of white sugar with enough warm water to dissolve it, then bring it to boil. Simmer the mixture gently until it begins to turn yellow. Continue to simmer but watch the colour change carefully. The colour will become a deeper yellow, then brown, then dark brown. For rum the caramel must be burnt much darker than for candy apples, or other applications of caramel. When it's a light brown colour, take it off the heat and continue to watch the colour change. When the caramel is a very dark brown, almost black, cool it in cold water to halt the burning. When cooled, this caramel will be a very dark, hard, glassy sugar crystal.
                    Dissolve the caramel in the rum until the colour of the rum is at the desired level. For example, for an amber rum there should be enough caramel to give the rum the characteristic amber colour. For a navy rum or black rum, add enough caramel to render the rum very dark, almost opaque.

                    Ian Smiley
                    =======================

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@...> wrote:

                    > Shotman, Will you share your recipe?
                    >
                    > How much and type of sugar, ie., dextrose, white, brown?
                    > How much and type of yeast, water?
                    > Any other additives?
                    > Pitching temp, fermenting temp?
                    >
                    > After distilling,
                    > What %ABV do you cut to?
                    > Do you filter or polish the spirit?
                    > Any flavourings added?
                    >
                    > I'm keen to try, and apparently I can use a reflux still if I remove the packing.
                    >
                    > Any info will be helpful.

                  • gavinflett
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 31, 2010
                      That's a great recipe, thanks for that. And thanks to shotman for the info on rum clarity. So my concerns for having a cloudy wash are alleviated in terms of the yeast burning on the element (which I don't think I'l have a problem with. But what about the yeast splitting open when heated and causing off flavours? Has anyone else read or heard about that, and if so what do you know about it?

                      P.S. The yeast splitting open was my main concern

> [...]
                      > Dissolve the caramel in the rum until the colour of the rum is at the
                      > desired level. For example, for an amber rum there should be enough
                      > caramel to give the rum the characteristic amber colour. For a navy rum
                      > or black rum, add enough caramel to render the rum very dark, almost
                      > opaque.
                      >
                      > Ian Smiley
                      > =======================
                      >

                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@> wrote:
                      >

                      > > Shotman, Will you share your recipe?
                      > >
                      > > How much and type of sugar, ie., dextrose, white, brown?
                      > > How much and type of yeast, water?
                      > > Any other additives?
                      > > Pitching temp, fermenting temp?
                      > >
                      > > After distilling,
                      > > What %ABV do you cut to?
                      > > Do you filter or polish the spirit?
                      > > Any flavourings added?
                      > >
                      > > I'm keen to try, and apparently I can use a reflux still if I remove

                    • jamesonbeam1
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 31, 2010
                        No reason to worry about this if you take the time to let the wash
                        clear. As Ian mentioned, the rum wash will finish fermentation in 7 to
                        10 days. Mine usually finishes fermentation in about 5 days and then
                        clears in about 2 - 3 days as the yeast flocculates to the fermenter
                        bottom.

                        Just be careful when siphoning off the trub so you dont get any solids
                        in the boiler. A racking cane works great for this.

                        JB.

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gavinflett" <gavin_flett@...> wrote:

                        > That's a great recipe, thanks for that. And thanks to shotman for the
                        info on rum clarity. So my concerns for having a cloudy wash are
                        alleviated in terms of the yeast burning on the element (which I don't
                        think I'l have a problem with. But what about the yeast splitting open
                        when heated and causing off flavours? Has anyone else read or heard
                        about that, and if so what do you know about it?

                        > P.S. The yeast splitting open was my main concern
                      • MoSS
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 31, 2010
                          snip

                          >I hydrated and proofed a tablespoon of distillers yeast and it foamed >up so I add a second tablespoon.

                          Now why is that?
                          Mine did the same, although this time it hasn't started fermenting.

                          Previously, I had saved 20% of the fermentation, added 30% of the backset, topped up with molasses and sugar to the desired S.G.
                          Generally it started off fermenting by itself.
                          Not this time, so I added half a packet of Still spirits "Classic" and it foamed over, horrible mess everywhere.
                          7 days on and there is no activity. In contrast a clear that I started the same day has nearly finished.
                          This is a worry to me as I've got a year old "mother" and it has been developing it's own unique flavour. I really don't want to throw it out and start again, it would put me a year behind.

                          Any ideas?
                        • shotman
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 31, 2010
                            Hi Moss,
                            I had to start a new batch. No trub or backset to use. Mixed it all real good and made sure my distillers yeast was still good. It was so I put a second tablespoon in it for a good start. My rums have never fermented fast. Usually 2 to 3 weeks to completion but happy with them as far as taste. I haven't had much success trying to keep reusing the trub as the starter like the UJSSM I had done. I'll use about a pint of the last batch each run if it's not been to long. I know others keep it a while but I worry about it being bad and messing up the new. I use backset in place of some of the water when I start or to drop the % when I do my spirit run (thanks JB).
                            Have a good one,
                            shotman

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 31, 2010
                              Thanks Shotman,

                              That's one bundle of good info. Now I just got to try it.

                              -------------------------------

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 1, 2010
                                Moss,

                                When adding that much old fermentation and 30% backset, your
                                fermentation will suffer from lack of disolved oxygen in the wash.
                                There is no available O2 in old fermentations or backset...

                                4 to 6 hours of aeration is usually required when doing a "sour mash"
                                type fermentation. Oxygen is reqired during the first 36 hours or so of
                                the exponential growth phase in a fermentation, otherwise it will suffer
                                from a low yeast cell population. This is the probable reason your
                                fermentations are taking so long.

                                Tis also a good idea to use the trub as soon as possible after the
                                previous fermentation has stopped or keep the trub refrigerated after
                                use. There is no need to add 20% old fermentation when the yeast cells
                                are only in the trub... Frankly I see no reason wasting 7 or 8 dollars
                                for a turbo yeast (that contains nutrients which will cause foaming if
                                added to an already fermenting wash) when making rum, which should never
                                ferment about 12 to 14% ABV.

                                JB.

                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MoSS" <zedrally@...> wrote:

                                > snip
                                >
                                > >I hydrated and proofed a tablespoon of distillers yeast and it foamed
                                >up so I add a second tablespoon.
                                >
                                > Now why is that?
                                > Mine did the same, although this time it hasn't started fermenting.
                                >
                                > Previously, I had saved 20% of the fermentation, added 30% of the
                                backset, topped up with molasses and sugar to the desired S.G.
                                > Generally it started off fermenting by itself.
                                > Not this time, so I added half a packet of Still spirits "Classic" and
                                it foamed over, horrible mess everywhere.
                                > 7 days on and there is no activity. In contrast a clear that I started
                                the same day has nearly finished.
                                > This is a worry to me as I've got a year old "mother" and it has been
                                developing it's own unique flavour. I really don't want to throw it out
                                and start again, it would put me a year behind.

                                > Any ideas?

                              • tgfoitwoods
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 1, 2010
                                  Jim,

                                  I've used Smiley's method for caramel (all I use it for is rum), but this one from mm123@... has turned out to be the best I've seen. It progresses quickly, and at the end you have liquid caramel, much easier to use that the rock-hard stuff Smiley's method gives.  It also takes less time, but you have to be there every second and watch it like a hawk!

                                  For anyone who doesn't know, any caramel recipe involves high-temperature melted sugar at the edge of burning, and that's why the reaction with water at the end is so energetic.

                                  Zymurgy Bob, a simple postiller

                                  To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: mm123@...
                                  Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:17:05 -0700
                                  Subject: Re: [Distillers] Caramel

                                  If you've done any cooking you'll be more use to this.

                                  Don't bother with the water or other liquids, sugar needs to get hot to caramalize and at those temperatures, there's not a lot of water left over and you just spend time evapourating water before making caramel. Here's my way. Get a heavy stainless-steel pan. I use a thick tri-layer one which distributes the heat better than plain stainless. Put in your sugur and put pan onto hot plate. As soon as you see some action turn the plate right down to low, residual heat will make the reaction work. The next part goes fast. The sugar melts and starts to turn brown, use a wooden spoon to give it a mix and get all the crystals melted.

                                  The next bit is even faster, as soon as it hits the colour you want throw in a cup of water and stand well back. Leave it too long before throwing in the water and you get charcoal.

                                  The water flashboils (so really stand well back) and stops the reaction. Then over a gentle heat stir to disolve the caramel into the remaining water. Pure caramel isn't sweet, but you will never make pure caramel so there will be some residual sweetness from unreacted sugar. The darker the caramel the less sweet it becomes and the more of a charcoal taste you get. Sugar is cheep enough, make 3 or 4 trials and decide what taste you like best and then just go by colour.

                                  > Very nice recipe I have followed by Ian Smiley below that was listed in
                                  > American Distiller.
                                  >
                                  > JB.

                                  ----snip----
                                • jamesonbeam1
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 1, 2010
                                    Thanks ZB,

                                    Will try that (love getting scalded by hot burning sugar).. However,
                                    being the lazy, ornery one I am, ive swiched from using caremel to just
                                    adding straight molasses and some pure vanilla extract for a similar
                                    effect.

                                    JB.

                                    Note: For some cinnamon flavors, a cinnamon stick soaked in it for a
                                    few hours works nicely - but be careful - can get too strong very
                                    fast...

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 1, 2010
                                      Any time, Waldo :D,

                                      Actually, it doesn't really spit molten sugar, but it sure does put out some steam real quick. If you got caught with your face hanging over it when yo added the water it won; help your ornery, but you'll sure as hell move faster than most lazy guys!

                                      I'll bet if I use a milder, ummm, less agricultural grade of molasses, that just might make a great rum.

                                      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                                      > Thanks ZB,
                                      >
                                      > Will try that (love getting scalded by hot burning sugar).. However,
                                      > being the lazy, ornery one I am, ive swiched from using caremel to just
                                      > adding straight molasses and some pure vanilla extract for a similar
                                      > effect.
                                      >
                                      > JB.

                                      ----snip----
                                    • MoSS
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 7, 2010
                                        Saved it...

                                        In frustration last week I decanted 2L of wash & mixed it with 2L of water into a bucket, watched it for a few hours, nothing, so I moved it into the "wash" room and left it. Looked at it over the next few days as I was on my way to work...nothing...then checked it for the last time yesterday before getting ready to throw the lot out and it was off and running.

                                        Why it has taken so long to start fermenting is a mystery.

                                        So, I have decanted 10L of inactive wash, added the bucket activated to the remainder and topped it all up with fresh water. Fingers crossed, it's a slowly fermenting.

                                        Lesson learnt.
                                        Rum "mother" saved.

                                        MoSS

                                        > Moss,
                                        >
                                        > When adding that much old fermentation and 30% backset, your
                                        > fermentation will suffer from lack of disolved oxygen in the wash.
                                        > There is no available O2 in old fermentations or backset...
                                        >
                                        > 4 to 6 hours of aeration is usually required when doing a "sour mash"
                                        > type fermentation. Oxygen is reqired during the first 36 hours or so of
                                        > the exponential growth phase in a fermentation, otherwise it will suffer
                                        > from a low yeast cell population. This is the probable reason your
                                        > fermentations are taking so long.
                                        >
                                        > Tis also a good idea to use the trub as soon as possible after the
                                        > previous fermentation has stopped or keep the trub refrigerated after
                                        > use. There is no need to add 20% old fermentation when the yeast cells
                                        > are only in the trub... Frankly I see no reason wasting 7 or 8 dollars
                                        > for a turbo yeast (that contains nutrients which will cause foaming if
                                        > added to an already fermenting wash) when making rum, which should never
                                        > ferment about 12 to 14% ABV.
                                        >
                                        > JB.
                                        >

                                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MoSS" <zedrally@> wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > snip
                                        > >
                                        > > >I hydrated and proofed a tablespoon of distillers yeast and it foamed
                                        > >up so I add a second tablespoon.
                                        > >
                                        > > Now why is that?
                                        > > Mine did the same, although this time it hasn't started fermenting.
                                        > >
                                        > > Previously, I had saved 20% of the fermentation, added 30% of the
                                        > backset, topped up with molasses and sugar to the desired S.G.
                                        > > Generally it started off fermenting by itself.
                                        > > Not this time, so I added half a packet of Still spirits "Classic" and
                                        > it foamed over, horrible mess everywhere.
                                        > > 7 days on and there is no activity. In contrast a clear that I started
                                        > the same day has nearly finished.
                                        > > This is a worry to me as I've got a year old "mother" and it has been
                                        > developing it's own unique flavour. I really don't want to throw it out
                                        > and start again, it would put me a year behind.
                                        > >
                                        > > Any ideas?

                                      • *
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                                          "4 to 6 hours of aeration is usually required when doing a "sour mash" type fermentation. Oxygen is reqired during the first 36 hours or so of the exponential growth phase in a fermentation"

                                          would hydrogen peroxide help oxygenate a wash?
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "*" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                                            > "4 to 6 hours of aeration is usually required when doing a "sour mash" type fermentation. Oxygen is reqired during the first 36 hours or so of the exponential growth phase in a fermentation"
                                            >
                                            > would hydrogen peroxide help oxygenate a wash?

                                            No. Not nearly enough O2.

                                            http://distillers.tastylime.net