RE: [Distillers] Re: Defoaming agents for molasses wash

  • Peggy Korth
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
      Thank you, Welska. Your lead put me in contact with Scott labs who sent me
      to The Beverage People and on to Vinquiry and then to an expert in the field
      who will get back with me--all good people with helpful information. Now
      when I actually find out how much good the photolytic activity is as a
      side-effect of the primary enzyme, I'll let you know. I now understand (I
      think) that the pectin enzyme is involved with most of these and there are
      nuances of action from many of the products. Most places no longer carry
      Protease and don't know where to find it.

      Now, the kitchen sink enzymes could be good. Just need to find out how
      good.

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
        Ummm Bob,

        Just incase your unaware, distilling is a a bit on the illegal side
        here in the US. While people know we do not sell it and make only small
        batches for personal use, tis still not a good idea to post personal
        info and phone numbers... While the BATF is always looking for the big
        fish that distill and sell on a large scale (not to mention the drug
        business), you never know who your friends (or enemies) are. Matter O
        fact, even amoung the bootleggers, alot of the busts occur due to
        competitors ratting on each other.

        Just a word of warning my friend - why most of us use Pen names. Please
        dont get paranoid.

        JB aka Waldo.

        Moderator.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, <bob@...> wrote:

        > I have wondered if breaking down the protein in the wash with papaya
        peels
        > or some other protein digesting enzyme would kill the foam a bit?
        >

        > Bob Crowder
        >
        > 4 A Good Auction
        >
        > 3921 Mansfield Highway
        >
        > Fort Worth, Texas 76119
        >
        > 817-536-3921

      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
          Sidenote:

          Ment to say home or Micro distilling without a licence. If have a
          licenced distillery then no problem.

          JB.
        • Pete H
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
            I think Bob has advertised his details on the wrong forum.
            He should be posting on the Biofuels forums.

            My 2 cents worth!

            ----------------------

          • bob@4agoodauction.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010

              I distill only in my mind. BobC

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                It's the unfermented sugars that cause the foaming in molasses and malt washes. Enzymes to convert them to fermentable sugars (glucoamylase/amyloglucosidase is used in breweries) will help'
                wal

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 10, 2010

                  > It's the unfermented sugars that cause the foaming in molasses and malt washes. Enzymes to convert them to fermentable sugars (glucoamylase/amyloglucosidase is used in breweries) will help'
                  > wal

                  Correct on converting non-fermentables, Wal. Plenty of headroom in the stillpot (only 1/2 to 2/3rds full max) and boiling chips to prevent 'bumping' (superheating) will also be a BIG help on preventing foaming.

                • Peggy Korth
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 10, 2010
                    Thank you Wal and Harry

                    It looks like we may get some protease from Italy to try. Also, we heard
                    about a granular molasses. Not to see if it is unsulfurated.

                    > It's the unfermented sugars that cause the foaming in molasses and malt
                    washes. Enzymes to convert them to fermentable sugars
                    (glucoamylase/amyloglucosidase is used in breweries) will help'
                    > wal

                    Correct on converting non-fermentables, Wal. Plenty of headroom in the
                    stillpot (only 1/2 to 2/3rds full max) and boiling chips to prevent
                    'bumping' (superheating) will also be a BIG help on preventing foaming.

                  • tgfoitwoods
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 12, 2010
                      Thanks, Wal,

                      That gives me an easy way to cut down my rum foaming (and to reduce the
                      overhead in my still charge).

                      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                      ---snip----