RE: [Distillers] Re: Defoaming agents for molasses wash

  • Peggy Korth
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010

      Where can a person find more information on protein digesting enzymes?

      Thanks to anyone for an answer.

      Peggy

      I have wondered if breaking down the protein in the wash with papaya peels or some other protein digesting enzyme would kill the foam a bit?

      Bob Crowder

      4 A Good Auction

      3921 Mansfield Highway

      Fort Worth , Texas 76119

      817-536-3921

    • welska
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
        http://no-foam.com/

        A protease might help...could try a product from Scott Labs call "ks" if memory serves...kitchen sink ase....the foam URL above has some kosher prods too

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peggy Korth" <rpk@...> wrote:

        > Where can a person find more information on protein digesting enzymes?
        >
        > Thanks to anyone for an answer.
        >
        > Peggy
        >

        > I have wondered if breaking down the protein in the wash with papaya peels
        > or some other protein digesting enzyme would kill the foam a bit?
        >

        > Bob Crowder
        >
        > 4 A Good Auction
        >
        > 3921 Mansfield Highway
        >
        > Fort Worth, Texas 76119
        >
        > 817-536-3921

      • Peggy Korth
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
          Thank you, Welska. Your lead put me in contact with Scott labs who sent me
          to The Beverage People and on to Vinquiry and then to an expert in the field
          who will get back with me--all good people with helpful information. Now
          when I actually find out how much good the photolytic activity is as a
          side-effect of the primary enzyme, I'll let you know. I now understand (I
          think) that the pectin enzyme is involved with most of these and there are
          nuances of action from many of the products. Most places no longer carry
          Protease and don't know where to find it.

          Now, the kitchen sink enzymes could be good. Just need to find out how
          good.

          A protease might help...could try a product from Scott Labs call "ks" if
          memory serves...kitchen sink ase....the foam URL above has some kosher prods
          too

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peggy Korth" <rpk@...> wrote:

          > Where can a person find more information on protein digesting enzymes?
          >
          > Thanks to anyone for an answer.
          >
          > Peggy
          >

          > I have wondered if breaking down the protein in the wash with papaya peels
          > or some other protein digesting enzyme would kill the foam a bit?
          >

          > Bob Crowder
          >
          > 4 A Good Auction
          >
          > 3921 Mansfield Highway
          >
          > Fort Worth, Texas 76119
          >
          > 817-536-3921

        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
            Ummm Bob,

            Just incase your unaware, distilling is a a bit on the illegal side
            here in the US. While people know we do not sell it and make only small
            batches for personal use, tis still not a good idea to post personal
            info and phone numbers... While the BATF is always looking for the big
            fish that distill and sell on a large scale (not to mention the drug
            business), you never know who your friends (or enemies) are. Matter O
            fact, even amoung the bootleggers, alot of the busts occur due to
            competitors ratting on each other.

            Just a word of warning my friend - why most of us use Pen names. Please
            dont get paranoid.

            JB aka Waldo.

            Moderator.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, <bob@...> wrote:

            > I have wondered if breaking down the protein in the wash with papaya
            peels
            > or some other protein digesting enzyme would kill the foam a bit?
            >

            > Bob Crowder
            >
            > 4 A Good Auction
            >
            > 3921 Mansfield Highway
            >
            > Fort Worth, Texas 76119
            >
            > 817-536-3921

          • jamesonbeam1
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
              Sidenote:

              Ment to say home or Micro distilling without a licence. If have a
              licenced distillery then no problem.

              JB.
            • Pete H
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
                I think Bob has advertised his details on the wrong forum.
                He should be posting on the Biofuels forums.

                My 2 cents worth!

                ----------------------

              • bob@4agoodauction.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010

                  I distill only in my mind. BobC

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                    It's the unfermented sugars that cause the foaming in molasses and malt washes. Enzymes to convert them to fermentable sugars (glucoamylase/amyloglucosidase is used in breweries) will help'
                    wal

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 10, 2010

                      > It's the unfermented sugars that cause the foaming in molasses and malt washes. Enzymes to convert them to fermentable sugars (glucoamylase/amyloglucosidase is used in breweries) will help'
                      > wal

                      Correct on converting non-fermentables, Wal. Plenty of headroom in the stillpot (only 1/2 to 2/3rds full max) and boiling chips to prevent 'bumping' (superheating) will also be a BIG help on preventing foaming.

                    • Peggy Korth
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 10, 2010
                        Thank you Wal and Harry

                        It looks like we may get some protease from Italy to try. Also, we heard
                        about a granular molasses. Not to see if it is unsulfurated.

                        > It's the unfermented sugars that cause the foaming in molasses and malt
                        washes. Enzymes to convert them to fermentable sugars
                        (glucoamylase/amyloglucosidase is used in breweries) will help'
                        > wal

                        Correct on converting non-fermentables, Wal. Plenty of headroom in the
                        stillpot (only 1/2 to 2/3rds full max) and boiling chips to prevent
                        'bumping' (superheating) will also be a BIG help on preventing foaming.

                      • tgfoitwoods
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 12, 2010
                          Thanks, Wal,

                          That gives me an easy way to cut down my rum foaming (and to reduce the
                          overhead in my still charge).

                          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                          ---snip----