Re: Defoaming agents for molasses wash

  • castillo.alex2008
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
      Welp ZB, the truth is that I don´t know what to tell you. Just in case I´ll let you know the way I do it for my rums:

      Fermentation

      I use tap water (not even the best quality since it is taken from a water deposit; around here the water people drink comes in 5 gallons PET carboys and tap water is used for everything else). I mix 4 parts in volume of water per 1 part of molasses (i.e. one gallon molasses and 4 of water) mix well, add a generous amount of yeast (now using EDV 493), mix well again in order to aereate and cover. I wait a week and distill. Formerly I use to add nutrients to that fermentation and aereate using an aquarium pump, but I no longer do it and still get good results.

      Distillation

      My rig is from brewhaus the bigger one, but I only use it as potstill. After lots of single distillations I return to the double distillation. I use the 1500W hotplate as my source of energy. Regularly I get around 2 liters at around 60% ABV after stripping. Once I collect at least a gallon of it my cuts in the spirit run go as follows: the first 100 mls as foreshots, the second 100 mls as head, everything else from there to 85 celcius degrees goes as middle cut to be aged and the rest until 98 celcius is considered tails. no longer use jars to mix and match portions. Againg always good results.

      So far never, ever had a foaming problem.

      Note: When I use dunder instead of water for the spirits rum, the booze get a nice deep cane bouquet so strong that people wonder how is it possible.

      Aging

      Much have been said about it, here goes the way I do it:

      I adjust the ABV to 65 and for every 3 liters I add 20 grams of oak chips (heavy toast) there it wait now at least one year then dilute to 40% ABV wait one more week and its ready to go.

      HTH

      Alex
    • bob@4agoodauction.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010

        I have wondered if breaking down the protein in the wash with papaya peels or some other protein digesting enzyme would kill the foam a bit?

        Bob Crowder

        4 A Good Auction

        3921 Mansfield Highway

        Fort Worth, Texas 76119

        817-536-3921

      • Peggy Korth

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
            http://no-foam.com/

            A protease might help...could try a product from Scott Labs call "ks" if memory serves...kitchen sink ase....the foam URL above has some kosher prods too

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peggy Korth" <rpk@...> wrote:

            > Where can a person find more information on protein digesting enzymes?
            >
            > Thanks to anyone for an answer.
            >
            > Peggy
            >

            > I have wondered if breaking down the protein in the wash with papaya peels
            > or some other protein digesting enzyme would kill the foam a bit?
            >

            > Bob Crowder
            >
            > 4 A Good Auction
            >
            > 3921 Mansfield Highway
            >
            > Fort Worth, Texas 76119
            >
            > 817-536-3921

          • Peggy Korth
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
              Thank you, Welska. Your lead put me in contact with Scott labs who sent me
              to The Beverage People and on to Vinquiry and then to an expert in the field
              who will get back with me--all good people with helpful information. Now
              when I actually find out how much good the photolytic activity is as a
              side-effect of the primary enzyme, I'll let you know. I now understand (I
              think) that the pectin enzyme is involved with most of these and there are
              nuances of action from many of the products. Most places no longer carry
              Protease and don't know where to find it.

              Now, the kitchen sink enzymes could be good. Just need to find out how
              good.

              A protease might help...could try a product from Scott Labs call "ks" if
              memory serves...kitchen sink ase....the foam URL above has some kosher prods
              too

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peggy Korth" <rpk@...> wrote:

              > Where can a person find more information on protein digesting enzymes?
              >
              > Thanks to anyone for an answer.
              >
              > Peggy
              >

              > I have wondered if breaking down the protein in the wash with papaya peels
              > or some other protein digesting enzyme would kill the foam a bit?
              >

              > Bob Crowder
              >
              > 4 A Good Auction
              >
              > 3921 Mansfield Highway
              >
              > Fort Worth, Texas 76119
              >
              > 817-536-3921

            • jamesonbeam1
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
                Ummm Bob,

                Just incase your unaware, distilling is a a bit on the illegal side
                here in the US. While people know we do not sell it and make only small
                batches for personal use, tis still not a good idea to post personal
                info and phone numbers... While the BATF is always looking for the big
                fish that distill and sell on a large scale (not to mention the drug
                business), you never know who your friends (or enemies) are. Matter O
                fact, even amoung the bootleggers, alot of the busts occur due to
                competitors ratting on each other.

                Just a word of warning my friend - why most of us use Pen names. Please
                dont get paranoid.

                JB aka Waldo.

                Moderator.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, <bob@...> wrote:

                > I have wondered if breaking down the protein in the wash with papaya
                peels
                > or some other protein digesting enzyme would kill the foam a bit?
                >

                > Bob Crowder
                >
                > 4 A Good Auction
                >
                > 3921 Mansfield Highway
                >
                > Fort Worth, Texas 76119
                >
                > 817-536-3921

              • jamesonbeam1
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
                  Sidenote:

                  Ment to say home or Micro distilling without a licence. If have a
                  licenced distillery then no problem.

                  JB.
                • Pete H
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
                    I think Bob has advertised his details on the wrong forum.
                    He should be posting on the Biofuels forums.

                    My 2 cents worth!

                    ----------------------

                  • bob@4agoodauction.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010

                      I distill only in my mind. BobC

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                        It's the unfermented sugars that cause the foaming in molasses and malt washes. Enzymes to convert them to fermentable sugars (glucoamylase/amyloglucosidase is used in breweries) will help'
                        wal

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 10, 2010

                          > It's the unfermented sugars that cause the foaming in molasses and malt washes. Enzymes to convert them to fermentable sugars (glucoamylase/amyloglucosidase is used in breweries) will help'
                          > wal

                          Correct on converting non-fermentables, Wal. Plenty of headroom in the stillpot (only 1/2 to 2/3rds full max) and boiling chips to prevent 'bumping' (superheating) will also be a BIG help on preventing foaming.

                        • Peggy Korth
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 10, 2010
                            Thank you Wal and Harry

                            It looks like we may get some protease from Italy to try. Also, we heard
                            about a granular molasses. Not to see if it is unsulfurated.

                            > It's the unfermented sugars that cause the foaming in molasses and malt
                            washes. Enzymes to convert them to fermentable sugars
                            (glucoamylase/amyloglucosidase is used in breweries) will help'
                            > wal

                            Correct on converting non-fermentables, Wal. Plenty of headroom in the
                            stillpot (only 1/2 to 2/3rds full max) and boiling chips to prevent
                            'bumping' (superheating) will also be a BIG help on preventing foaming.

                          • tgfoitwoods
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 12, 2010
                              Thanks, Wal,

                              That gives me an easy way to cut down my rum foaming (and to reduce the
                              overhead in my still charge).

                              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                              ---snip----