Re: Corn Mash question

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2010
      Jack,

      I'm embarrassed to say I've never SG after separation of spent grain from a corn wash, but that non-transparent, creamy color and pleasant sour, not sweet, smell sound right on. I'd distill that without a second thought, and I bet it turns out fine.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "slipthruthecracks" <slipthruthecracks@...> wrote:

      > I recently started a corn mash to try my hand at some bourbon. This is my first go around so it was a sweet mash and not sour. I used 40 pounds of flaked corn and 10 pounds of malted barley. Brought 20 gal of water to a boil and added the corn. Stirred occasionally till temp of the thick mush reached approx 150 degrees F. Added the crushed barley malt and stirred until mash thinned. Allowed to cool, then pitched distillers yeast. Ferment proceeded well. I stirred down the cap daily until it stopped forming and I had a good 6 inches of liquid on top of the mash. I did not bother to take SG reading since I was fermenting on the grain. This morning, I put the wet grain through my cider press and separated the liquid from the grain. It worked very well and left behind a semi-dry corn cake. Prior to separation, I think the mash was too thick to distill on the grain. That is why I separated the liquid. After separation, I took a gravity reading. I got 1030 which I am not sure if it is a high FG for a corn wash. The liquid is a creamy color and not clear with a very pleasant sour smell. I am sure there are some suspended solids and am wondering if this kind of FG is normal for a corn mash. It felt a bit sticky as it dried on the press but does not taste sweet. I am hoping some of you more experienced bourbon guys can give me some feedback.
      >
      > One-Eyed-Jack

    • slipthruthecracks
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2010
        Well, ZB, Just in case there was more there for the yeasties to eat and convert, I repitched. I will give a few days and if there is no activity, it will clarify some and I will run it. Yeast cells should just fall out as trub. If there is activity, I will wait until the bubbles stop and take another reading. But, I think as you do, that it is likely ready to run. Next weekend we charge the still and give it a go.

        Jack