Back in the hobby after a long break.

  • danev2
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2010
      I've pulled out the little still again. Due to a whole long story of circumstances and happenings. I am finally able to get back into it.
      I have plans on making rum, and corn whiskey.
      I have a couple questions.

      1. I am located west of Chicago a hour or so.
      Is there a good supply house I can buy molasses in 5 gal buckets?
      I have some feed grade stuff I got for cheap. $17.00/5 gal.
      and I am experimenting with a small amount to see what the yield will be and the quality.

      2. What are the general results with using flaked corn vs. cut corn?
      again I bought a small, few lbs of cut corn at the feed store just to see how well it will work.
      I have usually used flaked corn in the past.
      I'd like to get some malted corn, to be able to make a 100% corn recipe.
      But haven't been able to find any, the local brewer supply stores, don't have it.

      Regardless I am really excited to dust off the old skills, it's been 3 years since I last ran a batch of rum

      thanks all!
      DV