Re: [Distillers] Re: What do we lose when distilling's forbidden?

  • joe giffen
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 7, 2010
      Hi Bob,
      I agree totally.This is a HOBBY, to turn it into anything else will ruin it. If you want to sell alcohol that you make, get a licence and start a boutique distillery. If some beginner sells some dangerours crap we will all get the blame. Keeping a low profile so that we may practise our craft and be able to have intercourse with our fellow hobbyists is worthwhile.

      Regards
      Joe

      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 7, 2010
        At 12:02 PM 9/7/2010, you wrote:

        >Hi Bob,
        >I agree totally.This is a HOBBY, to turn it into anything else will
        >ruin it. If you want to sell alcohol that you make, get a licence
        >and start a boutique distillery. If some beginner sells some
        >dangerours crap we will all get the blame. Keeping a low profile so
        >that we may practise our craft and be able to have intercourse with
        >our fellow hobbyists is worthwhile.

        I'll go one stronger. If Joe's advice makes no sense to you as a
        strategy to meet whatever your goals are in distilling, then please
        leave this list NOW. I only want to associate with those who are
        pursuing a hobby.

        Derek
      • Rufus
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 7, 2010
          Derek, I'm not sure I follow your logic. Am I correct in assuming that anyone who aspires to create a legal boutique distillery should not be part of this group? What harm is there in dreaming of running your own legal boutique distillery while at the same time participating in this group?

          Regards,
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

          > At 12:02 PM 9/7/2010, you wrote:
          > >

          > >Hi Bob,
          > >I agree totally.This is a HOBBY, to turn it into anything else will
          > >ruin it. If you want to sell alcohol that you make, get a licence
          > >and start a boutique distillery. If some beginner sells some
          > >dangerours crap we will all get the blame. Keeping a low profile so
          > >that we may practise our craft and be able to have intercourse with
          > >our fellow hobbyists is worthwhile.
          >
          > I'll go one stronger. If Joe's advice makes no sense to you as a
          > strategy to meet whatever your goals are in distilling, then please
          > leave this list NOW. I only want to associate with those who are
          > pursuing a hobby.
          >

          > Derek

        • Rufus
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 7, 2010
            Derek, I'm not sure I follow your logic. Am I correct in assuming that anyone who aspires to create a legal boutique distillery should not be part of this group? What harm is there in dreaming of running your own legal boutique distillery while at the same time participating in this group?

            Regards,
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

            > At 12:02 PM 9/7/2010, you wrote:
            > >

            > >Hi Bob,
            > >I agree totally.This is a HOBBY, to turn it into anything else will
            > >ruin it. If you want to sell alcohol that you make, get a licence
            > >and start a boutique distillery. If some beginner sells some
            > >dangerours crap we will all get the blame. Keeping a low profile so
            > >that we may practise our craft and be able to have intercourse with
            > >our fellow hobbyists is worthwhile.
            >
            > I'll go one stronger. If Joe's advice makes no sense to you as a
            > strategy to meet whatever your goals are in distilling, then please
            > leave this list NOW. I only want to associate with those who are
            > pursuing a hobby.
            >

            > Derek

          • Derek Hamlet
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 7, 2010
              At 02:49 PM 9/7/2010, you wrote:

              >Derek, I'm not sure I follow your logic. Am I correct in assuming
              >that anyone who aspires to create a legal boutique distillery should
              >not be part of this group? What harm is there in dreaming of running
              >your own legal boutique distillery while at the same time
              >participating in this group?

              No, I meant that anybody who bootlegs their hobby spirits and gets
              caught does us all a disservice and draws unwanted attention. I
              share my hooch discretely at motorcycle rallies with folks I know
              well and with friends.

              Derek
            • Geoff Stewart
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 14, 2010
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                > Hi Bob,
                > I agree totally.This is a HOBBY, to turn it into anything else will ruin it. If you want to sell alcohol that you make, get a licence and start a boutique distillery. If some beginner sells some dangerours crap we will all get the blame. Keeping a low profile so that we may practise our craft and be able to have intercourse with our fellow hobbyists is worthwhile.
                >
                > Regards
                > Joe

                Hi, Joe and folks,
                I would have expected SOMEONE to comment on your double entendre!

                Perhaps everyone else is either too well mannered to comment, or so well educated they understood your meaning without a second thought.

                Regards,

                The Baker
              • joe giffen
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 14, 2010
                  Which do you belong to?.

                  Regards
                  Joe

                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 14, 2010
                    (Sigh...) modesty forbids....

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                    > Which do you belong to?.
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Joe

                  • tgfoitwoods
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 14, 2010
                      Hi, Joe,

                      I dunno about Geoff, but I'm in the "too dumb to see that double
                      on-tondree thang, even after I looked real hard.

                      Living in shame,
                      Zymurgy Bob, a simplepotstiller

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                      > Which do you belong to?.
                      >
                      > Regards
                      > Joe

                    • geoff burrows
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 14, 2010
                        I know Joe doesn't need any help out here.  But here is the defination of  "intercourse" as used in the context Joe was intending it to be used .  Say what you like about the Christian Brothers  they taught english and everyone understood the language and the use of the language perfectly so double meaning or not if you used a word in the correct context there could only be one meaning
                        Geoff

                        Definitions of 'intercourse'
                        Webster Dictionary

                        1. (noun) intercourse
                        a commingling; intimate connection or dealings between persons or nations, as in common affairs and civilities, in correspondence or trade; communication; commerce; especially, interchange of thought and feeling; association; communion

                      • jamesonbeam1
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 14, 2010
                          Sigh,

                          Must be a full Moon out there. Geoff, your not talking about sheep
                          again are ya?

                          JB.

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff burrows" <jeffrey.burrows@...>

                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 14, 2010

                            Hi
                                 Nahh-!-! Jim too much red stuff.  As my name sake Geoff says, at the time of posting, I would have been at the 2nd of the "ose" stages.  That would be the "Verbose" stage.  Just 3 steps away and fast approaching from the "Comatose" stage.
                            Geoff
                          • lowerarchy
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 14, 2010
                              Thanks for those responses. Just for the record, I don't sell booze. I don't want to run afoul of the Canadian Excise Tax Act, that's for sure.

                              Anyways - don't worry about me, I can't ruin your hobby. Don't worry about people who sell moonshine either. Seems kind of pointless to fret about what other distillers do when we're all operating underground anyway. Nobody involved in this practice can make this any more illegal, at least not on short notice.

                              On another note, you know what else we lose when distilling's illegal? Coopers and coppersmiths. We'd all have a rack of hogsheads in the basement if they were eighty bucks a pop and we'd all be thinking about a boughtn' potstill if they didn't start at 10,000 euros.

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Bob,
                              > I agree totally.This is a HOBBY, to turn it into anything else will ruin it. If you want to sell alcohol that you make, get a licence and start a boutique distillery. If some beginner sells some dangerours crap we will all get the blame. Keeping a low profile so that we may practise our craft and be able to have intercourse with our fellow hobbyists is worthwhile.
                              >
                              > Regards
                              > Joe

                            • tgfoitwoods
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 16, 2010
                                Dang, Geoff,

                                I never gave the word a second thought, 'cause it fit so well in
                                context. Intercourse has also become a kind of trigger word, like
                                "chauvinism", which means nationalism or regionalism and not gender
                                bias. And then there's "predator" which has come to mean people who hump
                                the wrong people, instead of thangs that eat jackrabbits.

                                It's all so confusing.

                                Another point for the Christian Brothers: they used to make a so-so
                                brandy.