Re: What do we lose when distilling's forbidden?

  • Henk
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 7 4:08 AM
      As much as I hate the law about illegality of distillation, I will never compair distillation with marijuana!!
      You're talking about a drug, illegal in almost the whole world (yes also in the Netherlands). Still the trade of marijuana is in the hands of big criminals.

      I hope our small home distillation will be a craft, in which we restore the old know-how end the old recipe's, and that we'll never become the same as the drug-world. Selling is not in our advantage. Keep it to your own, your family and your friends just like our ancestors did!

      Henk
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lowerarchy" <abe.sorge@...> wrote:

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "matthew" moonshinearchives@ wrote:
      >
      > > Second, I talked a bit about our general loss of knowledge and our cultural patrimony. We're supposed to know more, not less, about our world than our ancestors. When home distilling became illegal, we lessened our grips on our own heritages. When we no longer know how to make the peach brandies, the slivovitz, the rye, corn, and country gins our ancestors did, we understand even less about our own background and identity as a people.
      >
      > Hi everyone. Long time lurker, third time poster.
      >

      > This is a bit of a sidetrack, but why is everyone so against selling your homemade booze? You'd think the complex and unstoppable market that has emerged for marijuana since prohibition, and it's associated community of breeders, growers, and connoisseurs would be a model to follow. Just look at how it exploded over the last thirty years in opposition to distinctly more unfavourable legal and social conditions than we're subject to.

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 7 8:02 AM
        Lowerarchy,

        I think I speak for many of us when I say my biggest reason for not
        selling my work is an aversion to being confined and possibly married to
        the guy with the most cigarettes. While I do not see marijuana as
        intrinsically evil, and in many ways comparable to ethanol for drinking,
        it's a fact that, at least here in the US, some large fraction of the
        prison population is there for marijuana trafficking.

        With that in mind, and assuming other distillers enjoy their freedom as
        much as I do, I also recommend not selling your wares. Stick with giving
        it to friends and family.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simplepotstiller

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lowerarchy" <abe.sorge@...> wrote:

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "matthew" moonshinearchives@ wrote:
        >
        > > Second, I talked a bit about our general loss of knowledge and our
        cultural patrimony. We're supposed to know more, not less, about our
        world than our ancestors. When home distilling became illegal, we
        lessened our grips on our own heritages. When we no longer know how to
        make the peach brandies, the slivovitz, the rye, corn, and country gins
        our ancestors did, we understand even less about our own background and
        identity as a people.

        > Hi everyone. Long time lurker, third time poster.
        >

        > This is a bit of a sidetrack, but why is everyone so against selling
        your homemade booze? You'd think the complex and unstoppable market that
        has emerged for marijuana since prohibition, and it's associated
        community of breeders, growers, and connoisseurs would be a model to
        follow. Just look at how it exploded over the last thirty years in
        opposition to distinctly more unfavourable legal and social conditions
        than we're subject to.

      • joe giffen
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 7 12:02 PM
          Hi Bob,
          I agree totally.This is a HOBBY, to turn it into anything else will ruin it. If you want to sell alcohol that you make, get a licence and start a boutique distillery. If some beginner sells some dangerours crap we will all get the blame. Keeping a low profile so that we may practise our craft and be able to have intercourse with our fellow hobbyists is worthwhile.

          Regards
          Joe

          I think I speak for many of us when I say my biggest reason for not
          selling my work is an aversion to being confined and possibly married to
          the guy with the most cigarettes. While I do not see marijuana as
          intrinsically evil, and in many ways comparable to ethanol for drinking,
          it's a fact that, at least here in the US, some large fraction of the
          prison population is there for marijuana trafficking.

          With that in mind, and assuming other distillers enjoy their freedom as
          much as I do, I also recommend not selling your wares. Stick with giving
          it to friends and family.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simplepotstiller

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lowerarchy" <abe.sorge@...> wrote:

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "matthew" moonshinearchives@ wrote:
          >
          > > Second, I talked a bit about our general loss of knowledge and our
          cultural patrimony. We're supposed to know more, not less, about our
          world than our ancestors. When home distilling became illegal, we
          lessened our grips on our own heritages. When we no longer know how to
          make the peach brandies, the slivovitz, the rye, corn, and country gins
          our ancestors did, we understand even less about our own background and
          identity as a people.

          > Hi everyone. Long time lurker, third time poster.
          >

          > This is a bit of a sidetrack, but why is everyone so against selling
          your homemade booze? You'd think the complex and unstoppable market that
          has emerged for marijuana since prohibition, and it's associated
          community of breeders, growers, and connoisseurs would be a model to
          follow. Just look at how it exploded over the last thirty years in
          opposition to distinctly more unfavourable legal and social conditions
          than we're subject to.

        • Derek Hamlet
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 7 1:06 PM
            At 12:02 PM 9/7/2010, you wrote:

            >Hi Bob,
            >I agree totally.This is a HOBBY, to turn it into anything else will
            >ruin it. If you want to sell alcohol that you make, get a licence
            >and start a boutique distillery. If some beginner sells some
            >dangerours crap we will all get the blame. Keeping a low profile so
            >that we may practise our craft and be able to have intercourse with
            >our fellow hobbyists is worthwhile.

            I'll go one stronger. If Joe's advice makes no sense to you as a
            strategy to meet whatever your goals are in distilling, then please
            leave this list NOW. I only want to associate with those who are
            pursuing a hobby.

            Derek
          • Rufus
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 7 2:49 PM
              Derek, I'm not sure I follow your logic. Am I correct in assuming that anyone who aspires to create a legal boutique distillery should not be part of this group? What harm is there in dreaming of running your own legal boutique distillery while at the same time participating in this group?

              Regards,
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

              > At 12:02 PM 9/7/2010, you wrote:
              > >

              > >Hi Bob,
              > >I agree totally.This is a HOBBY, to turn it into anything else will
              > >ruin it. If you want to sell alcohol that you make, get a licence
              > >and start a boutique distillery. If some beginner sells some
              > >dangerours crap we will all get the blame. Keeping a low profile so
              > >that we may practise our craft and be able to have intercourse with
              > >our fellow hobbyists is worthwhile.
              >
              > I'll go one stronger. If Joe's advice makes no sense to you as a
              > strategy to meet whatever your goals are in distilling, then please
              > leave this list NOW. I only want to associate with those who are
              > pursuing a hobby.
              >

              > Derek

            • Rufus
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 7 4:12 PM
                Derek, I'm not sure I follow your logic. Am I correct in assuming that anyone who aspires to create a legal boutique distillery should not be part of this group? What harm is there in dreaming of running your own legal boutique distillery while at the same time participating in this group?

                Regards,
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

                > At 12:02 PM 9/7/2010, you wrote:
                > >

                > >Hi Bob,
                > >I agree totally.This is a HOBBY, to turn it into anything else will
                > >ruin it. If you want to sell alcohol that you make, get a licence
                > >and start a boutique distillery. If some beginner sells some
                > >dangerours crap we will all get the blame. Keeping a low profile so
                > >that we may practise our craft and be able to have intercourse with
                > >our fellow hobbyists is worthwhile.
                >
                > I'll go one stronger. If Joe's advice makes no sense to you as a
                > strategy to meet whatever your goals are in distilling, then please
                > leave this list NOW. I only want to associate with those who are
                > pursuing a hobby.
                >

                > Derek

              • Derek Hamlet
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 7 4:46 PM
                  At 02:49 PM 9/7/2010, you wrote:

                  >Derek, I'm not sure I follow your logic. Am I correct in assuming
                  >that anyone who aspires to create a legal boutique distillery should
                  >not be part of this group? What harm is there in dreaming of running
                  >your own legal boutique distillery while at the same time
                  >participating in this group?

                  No, I meant that anybody who bootlegs their hobby spirits and gets
                  caught does us all a disservice and draws unwanted attention. I
                  share my hooch discretely at motorcycle rallies with folks I know
                  well and with friends.

                  Derek
                • Geoff Stewart
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 14 12:10 AM
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Bob,
                    > I agree totally.This is a HOBBY, to turn it into anything else will ruin it. If you want to sell alcohol that you make, get a licence and start a boutique distillery. If some beginner sells some dangerours crap we will all get the blame. Keeping a low profile so that we may practise our craft and be able to have intercourse with our fellow hobbyists is worthwhile.
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Joe

                    Hi, Joe and folks,
                    I would have expected SOMEONE to comment on your double entendre!

                    Perhaps everyone else is either too well mannered to comment, or so well educated they understood your meaning without a second thought.

                    Regards,

                    The Baker
                  • joe giffen
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 14 6:58 AM
                      Which do you belong to?.

                      Regards
                      Joe

                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 14 8:17 AM
                        (Sigh...) modesty forbids....

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                        > Which do you belong to?.
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > Joe

                      • tgfoitwoods
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 14 12:49 PM
                          Hi, Joe,

                          I dunno about Geoff, but I'm in the "too dumb to see that double
                          on-tondree thang, even after I looked real hard.

                          Living in shame,
                          Zymurgy Bob, a simplepotstiller

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                          > Which do you belong to?.
                          >
                          > Regards
                          > Joe

                        • geoff burrows
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 14 1:25 PM
                            I know Joe doesn't need any help out here.  But here is the defination of  "intercourse" as used in the context Joe was intending it to be used .  Say what you like about the Christian Brothers  they taught english and everyone understood the language and the use of the language perfectly so double meaning or not if you used a word in the correct context there could only be one meaning
                            Geoff

                            Definitions of 'intercourse'
                            Webster Dictionary

                            1. (noun) intercourse
                            a commingling; intimate connection or dealings between persons or nations, as in common affairs and civilities, in correspondence or trade; communication; commerce; especially, interchange of thought and feeling; association; communion

                          • jamesonbeam1
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 14 2:13 PM
                              Sigh,

                              Must be a full Moon out there. Geoff, your not talking about sheep
                              again are ya?

                              JB.

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff burrows" <jeffrey.burrows@...>

                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 14 9:34 PM

                                Hi
                                     Nahh-!-! Jim too much red stuff.  As my name sake Geoff says, at the time of posting, I would have been at the 2nd of the "ose" stages.  That would be the "Verbose" stage.  Just 3 steps away and fast approaching from the "Comatose" stage.
                                Geoff
                              • lowerarchy
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 14 10:45 PM
                                  Thanks for those responses. Just for the record, I don't sell booze. I don't want to run afoul of the Canadian Excise Tax Act, that's for sure.

                                  Anyways - don't worry about me, I can't ruin your hobby. Don't worry about people who sell moonshine either. Seems kind of pointless to fret about what other distillers do when we're all operating underground anyway. Nobody involved in this practice can make this any more illegal, at least not on short notice.

                                  On another note, you know what else we lose when distilling's illegal? Coopers and coppersmiths. We'd all have a rack of hogsheads in the basement if they were eighty bucks a pop and we'd all be thinking about a boughtn' potstill if they didn't start at 10,000 euros.

                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Bob,
                                  > I agree totally.This is a HOBBY, to turn it into anything else will ruin it. If you want to sell alcohol that you make, get a licence and start a boutique distillery. If some beginner sells some dangerours crap we will all get the blame. Keeping a low profile so that we may practise our craft and be able to have intercourse with our fellow hobbyists is worthwhile.
                                  >
                                  > Regards
                                  > Joe

                                • tgfoitwoods
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 16 12:50 PM
                                    Dang, Geoff,

                                    I never gave the word a second thought, 'cause it fit so well in
                                    context. Intercourse has also become a kind of trigger word, like
                                    "chauvinism", which means nationalism or regionalism and not gender
                                    bias. And then there's "predator" which has come to mean people who hump
                                    the wrong people, instead of thangs that eat jackrabbits.

                                    It's all so confusing.

                                    Another point for the Christian Brothers: they used to make a so-so
                                    brandy.