For "stillingus" was Re: Oaking...

  • mattdistiller
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
      "stillingus",

      You sent me an email personally, but all messages I send to you are
      coming back to me with the error:

      *** ERROR ***

      I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
      addresses.

      *** END OF ERROR ***

      Have you got another email address that I can send my reply to?

      Thanks,

      Matt
    • mattdistiller
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
        --- In Distillers@y..., Ian Macsween <ianelamacsween@s...> wrote:
        > I also have seen similar barrels offered for sale - cut in half -
        in garden shops. I grieved for their potential. But I have been
        told that they have already reached their life expectancy for the
        purposes of our hobby.

        Ian,

        I think (but don't know) that you can recondition the barrels by
        shaving the inside out - this gets rid of the "used" oak, and exposes
        the "fresh" oak. A bit of work though....

        Matt
      • klcampbell
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
          G'day Matt,J.D.chips are available from J.P Kearney Wholesale,108 Musgrave street,Nth.R'ton,4701.Phone/Fax:4921 0881,or your local brew shop may have an account with them.
          I use toasted French oak staves to age neutral spirit for about 12 months and then use a small quantity,around 500Mls.per 2.25Lt.mix with a variety of essences and find them O.K.supplied by winery supplies in Knoxfield,nice people to deal with,
          Trial and error mate,Regards,Ken.
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
            I saw a similar thing a Lowes in the US...Jack Daniels barrels split in two
            for flower pots. They still smelled like bourbon!

          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
              Matt,

              > barrel situation. Also, it means I can calculated the surface area,
              > and dose my spirit at the same rate as a commercial barrel.

              Doesn't that mean that you'll also have to wait as long as the commercial
              guys do ? eg a minimum of 3 years, maybe 8+ ?

              > So, which is better? Am I right in my assumption that shavings are
              > good for the 'quick fix', but chips and staves would be better for a
              > longer aging? How well can you toast the chips/staves? How well do
              > they work for other people?

              Also note that as well as adding compounds to the spirit, and reacting with
              some of the cogeners present (both which will happen via chips/shavings),
              the oak by being slightly porous, also acts to help release some of
              compounds, and also let in a small amount of air etc, both which also affect
              the flavour changes taking place. I think this might be why adding just oak
              to a closed bottle doesn't always end up with the exact same result. No
              smart ideas though on how to address the situation.... though there was a
              mention a wee while back about using corks during storage, rather than
              air-tight caps ....

              Tony
            • moonshiyner
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
                --- In Distillers@y..., "mattdistiller" <distiller@m...> wrote:
                > Hi everyone,

                > As a small aside, I have seen 'Jack Daniels chips' adverstised on
                > Kiwi site - anyone had any luck with these? Are they any better
                > than 'ordinary' oak chips?

                G'day All

                I use the Jack Daniel chips quite a bit.
                I give them 3-4 weeks on clean 40% then drink as is with no further
                flavouring. They leave quite a nice JD taste (if possibly a bit thin)
                The spirit dosn't seem to colour up much with them but I suppose
                that would be easily rectified.

                Doug
              • noelwatson
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
                  Love all the talk about the different oaking methods.
                  Late last year I was given a dozen 8 inch whisky barrel staves about 12 feet
                  long.(big Barrel) I was going to try a couple of methods with the oak:
                  First was to hit it with an electric plane (slightly de-tuned) and use the
                  resulting shavings.
                  Second was to put pieces of the staves through a band saw so the result
                  would be a 1/8 to 1/4 inch slice about 8 inches across by 3 inches high.
                  Any thoughts??
                  regards,
                  Noel
                • Jeanette Dunphy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 5, 2002
                    Went to the Glenfiditch distillary in "94. They put
                    their regular whiskey in old sherry casks. That is
                    supposed to give the colour and add a little bit of
                    flavour as well.

                    On the tour, they opened the fermentation vats so we
                    could all have a look and a smell.
                    I leaned over and too a big lung full.
                    The tour guide then yelled, WINDOW!
                    I nearly ruined an entire batch.

                    Jeanette

                    http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au Auctions
                    - 1,000s of Bargains!
                  • hexenwolfe
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 10, 2004
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mattdistiller" <distiller@m...>
                      wrote:
                      > Hi everyone,
                      >
                      > I have an idea for a project, which involves aging some spirit on
                      oak
                      > for a long time (3-5 years) to make a quality spirit. I would love
                      > to use barrels, but being financially challenged, this is not an
                      > option (well, not until I'm rich an famous!)
                      >
                      > I have used oak shavings in the past, for a quick oaking (2 - 6
                      > weeks), and I think I have probably been over-dosing my spirit.
                      > Having read a little more, and thought about it a lot, I don't
                      think
                      > oak shavings are the best thing as far as replicating what happens
                      > commercially. Which brings me to the question(s).
                      >
                      > Oak chips and Mini oak staves are available (and thanks a billion
                      > smudge311065 who posted the aussie link yesterday!). I figure
                      these
                      > would have to be much better than shavings, being more solid like a
                      > barrel situation. Also, it means I can calculated the surface
                      area,
                      > and dose my spirit at the same rate as a commercial barrel.
                      >
                      > So, which is better? Am I right in my assumption that shavings are
                      > good for the 'quick fix', but chips and staves would be better for
                      > longer aging? How well can you toast the chips/staves? How well
                      do
                      > they work for other people?
                      >
                      > As a small aside, I have seen 'Jack Daniels chips' adverstised on a
                      > Kiwi site - anyone had any luck with these? Are they any better
                      > than 'ordinary' oak chips?
                      >
                      > So many questions.....!
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Matt

                      Matt,
                      The purpose of barrel aging of whiskey is more complicated than just
                      flavoring from the oak. Oak is porous and there is a continual
                      interaction between the enclosed whiskey and the oxygen in the air.
                      The process involves a slow oxidation of complex chemicals into
                      simpler ones, as well as the leaching of tannins and sugars from the
                      oak into the whiskey. Simply placing whiskey in contact with oak in
                      an environment that does not allow for slow oxidation and breathing of
                      the aging whiskey will miss out on this important part of the aging
                      process. I would hate to see you wait 3 years and then be disappointed.
                      Cheers,
                      Hex
                    • SHINE~ ô¿ô
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 10, 2004
                        For quick oaking I toast my oak chips then boil 1 gal. of
                        water. Pour the water over the chips and let it cool. I use
                        this water to cut my 95% spirit's down to 60%, this gives
                        it a nice color and allso helps the taste. To age it I trash
                        the bottle caps use cork stoppers and store it like you
                        would wine. I have a few bottles that are more than 15
                        years old and the taste of it and shine made the same
                        way last week is like night and day!

                        Just my thoughts, DJ Shine
                        Matt,
                        The purpose of barrel aging of whiskey is more complicated than just
                        flavoring from the oak. Oak is porous and there is a continual
                        interaction between the enclosed whiskey and the oxygen in the air.
                        The process involves a slow oxidation of complex chemicals into
                        simpler ones, as well as the leaching of tannins and sugars from the
                        oak into the whiskey. Simply placing whiskey in contact with oak in
                        an environment that does not allow for slow oxidation and breathing of
                        the aging whiskey will miss out on this important part of the aging
                        process. I would hate to see you wait 3 years and then be disappointed.
                        Cheers,
                        Hex

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Austin Smith
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 11, 2004
                          I did a small (500ml) amount of brown sugar (rum) distillate on toasted JD BBQ chips. Seemed to work very well. I suggest buying a bag full and giving it a try.

                        • David
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 11, 2004
                            I do the same but with regular suger and it worksgood. How long do
                            you let it sit on the chips?

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith" <asmith1@b...>

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 11, 2004
                              The last bottle sat for months, with periodic agitation. Nice color and bouquet.