Power Control

  • mm123.rm
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 16, 2010
      Hi Guys

      Reading the thread about micro-controlled stills made me wonder ...

      I know we don't try and control power to modify the temperature of the wash when distilling. One of the guys came up with this though.

      He monitors the output temperature from the condenser and adjusts the power going into the still to maintain an output temperature of 35C. I suppose if you built in the right transfer function so you had a nicely damped control loop this would work.

      What's the downside? It seems to go against keeping the input power constant and managing the vapour
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
        mm123,

        If I understand what you describe, that would be a great way to maximize
        (condensed) output. Unfortunately, at least for what I'm trying to do,
        maximum output rarely equals optimum flavor. I find that distillate
        tastes harsher at higher output. For stripping runs with a potstill that
        had more heat input than the condenser could knock down, it could be
        helpful.

        For any of the various reflux still designs, I think that might confuse
        the issue mightily.

        Transfer function!!?? You wouldn't be another one of those pesky EE's,
        would you?

        Zymurgy Bob, a simplepotstiller

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mm123.rm" <mm123@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys
        >
        > Reading the thread about micro-controlled stills made me wonder ...
        >
        > I know we don't try and control power to modify the temperature of the
        wash when distilling. One of the guys came up with this though.

        > He monitors the output temperature from the condenser and adjusts the
        power going into the still to maintain an output temperature of 35C. I
        suppose if you built in the right transfer function so you had a nicely
        damped control loop this would work.

        > What's the downside? It seems to go against keeping the input power
        constant and managing the vapour

      • Eddie Hoskin
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 18, 2010
          EE's of the alcohol world unite!

          :D

          Radical Ed

          If I understand what you describe, that would be a great way to maximize
          (condensed) output. Unfortunately, at least for what I'm trying to do,
          maximum output rarely equals optimum flavor. I find that distillate
          tastes harsher at higher output. For stripping runs with a potstill that
          had more heat input than the condenser could knock down, it could be
          helpful.

          For any of the various reflux still designs, I think that might confuse
          the issue mightily.

          Transfer function!!?? You wouldn't be another one of those pesky EE's,
          would you?

          Zymurgy Bob, a simplepotstiller

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mm123.rm" <mm123@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys
          >
          > Reading the thread about micro-controlled stills made me wonder ...
          >
          > I know we don't try and control power to modify the temperature of the
          wash when distilling. One of the guys came up with this though.

          > He monitors the output temperature from the condenser and adjusts the
          power going into the still to maintain an output temperature of 35C. I
          suppose if you built in the right transfer function so you had a nicely
          damped control loop this would work.

          > What's the downside? It seems to go against keeping the input power
          constant and managing the vapour

        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 18, 2010
            Dang,

            This here techically talk is rally confusin. I justs adusts that ther
            heat by the drops per second- 10 to 15 for one of them thar stripping
            runs and 7 to 8 for one of them thar spirits runs...

            Red Neck Traditional Pot Distillers of the Alcoholy World Unite !!!

            JB.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Hoskin <eddie_hoskin@...>

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 18, 2010
              Note:

              To tell them seconds, ya say 1, 1 thousand, 2, 1 thousand, 3, 1
              thousand, 4 1 thousand, 5, 1 thousand.

              Any more seconds, then I woulds have to use my other hand and couldnt
              type.

              JB.

              > Dang,
              >
              > This here techically talk is rally confusin. I justs adusts that ther
              > heat by the drops per second- 10 to 15 for one of them thar stripping
              > runs and 7 to 8 for one of them thar spirits runs...
              >
              > Red Neck Traditional Pot Distillers of the Alcoholy World Unite !!!
              >
              > JB.
            • geoff burrows
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 18, 2010
                Hi Jim,
                     You lot can unite all ya like but this F.R.U.B. (Fat Repulsive Ugly B*stard) is into uniting himself with his own favorite hooch every night, but not before 6pm as a general rule.  "One has one's reputation and image to think about you know" can't be seen to be hitting the sauce too early
                     Geoff

              • geoff burrows
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 18, 2010
                  Hi Jim,
                       It'll be getting real serious, and smelly, if ya take them thar socks and shoes off you be getting into mulipies of over and pinkies going to market, buggar this I/we need to get a life hee-hee-hee
                  Geoff
                • geoff burrows
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 19, 2010
                    Hi Jim,
                         I must proof read my postings before I post.
                         It'll be getting real serious, and smelly , if ya be tak'in them thar socks and shoes off' a your plates o' meat/feet you'd be getting into the real big multiplies of over 20 n thing's and agricultural livestock, i.e. pinkies going to market and stuff.   Anyway while you are counting your fingers and pinkies who's counting the thousands of drips per second, adjusting the burner, using the fire extinguisher to put out the fumes off  the sock that have caught fire
                         Buggar this I/we need to get a life and a bottle of 100 proof sanity,  hee-hee-hee
                    Geoff

                  • thursty2
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 19, 2010
                      So, what if you're not seen?

                      6:00 pm is a red herring. Don't matter when ya'll start, only matters when ya'll stop.

                      ;^)

                      --------------------------

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff burrows" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Jim,
                      > You lot can unite all ya like but this F.R.U.B. (Fat Repulsive Ugly B*stard) is into uniting himself with his own favorite hooch every night, but not before 6pm as a general rule. "One has one's reputation and image to think about you know" can't be seen to be hitting the sauce too early
                      > Geoff

                    • geoff burrows
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 19, 2010
                        Hi thursty,
                         Do you really think I  give a flying chuff when I drink.  Any time is drinking time for me all I'm worried about is if HWMBO is staying sober to drive me home
                        Geoff
                      • tgfoitwoods
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 19, 2010
                          Damn! It looks like we're going to have to spray for double-E's - or put out bait. Hmmm. What kind of bait attracts them critters?  How about cheap, clever, pico-amp, pico-second ICs, maybe (finally) gallium arsenide?

                          That oughta get 'em.

                          I think they're an invasive species :D

                          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Hoskin <eddie_hoskin@...> wrote:

                          > EE's of the alcohol world unite!
                          >
                          > :D
                          >
                          > Radical Ed

                        • tgfoitwoods
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 19, 2010
                            Boy, this normally-sedate list is getting pretty frisky. Is it something I said? :D