Re: Slate Article: What Would John Adams Drink?

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 14, 2010

      Hi Rufus,

      Pectic enzyme, or pectinase is used to break down pectin in fruits which is what holds the cell walls together.  By using this, fruit juice is more easily released in crushed fruits.  However, if you can find a orchard that has cider crushers and presses, you can probably have them make your cider for a small fee.

      Campden tablets or (potassium or sodium metabisulfite) are a sulfur-based product that is used primarily in wine, cider and beer making to kill certain bacteria and to inhibit the growth of most wild yeast: this product is also used to eliminate both free chlorine, and the more stable form, chloramine, from water solutions (i.e., drinking water from municipal sources). Campden tablets allow the amateur brewer to easily measure small quantities of sodium metabisulfite, so it can be used to protect against wild yeast and bacteria without affecting flavour.

      Crushed fruits will contain wild yeasts and bacteria that may infect your must.  Crushing up and adding a campden tablet for every 5 gallons, will kill these off.  Then wait 12 to 24 hours before pitching your yeast so the SO2 gases escape.

      Champagne yeasts were cultivated from the grape skins in the Champagne district of France and are of the species Saccharomyces cerevisiae bayanus, or S. bayanus for short.  This species is very competitve and has a high ABV tolerance of up to 18% versus around 14 to 16%for wine yeasts.  The original "`PRISE DE MOUSSE'  is Lalvin EC-1118 which in a nice fast acting, high tolerance yeast which I strongly recommend.

      Be careful when adding sugar to your must.  Take an SG reading first and keep the gravity to about a 12 to 14% potental maximum - see: http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm  for the tables.

      Good Luck,

      JB.