Help

  • sstoli123@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2002
      What is the best sterilizer for stainless steel? I have read that bleach solutions can pit the steel. Has anyone ever used Sodium Meta Sterilizer and if yes what is it?

      Thanks in advance,
      Steven
    • Dick
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2002
        In message <180.626c57f.29dd3874@...>, sstoli123@... writes
        >What is the best sterilizer for stainless steel? I have read that bleach
        >solutions can pit the steel. Has anyone ever used Sodium Meta Sterilizer and
        >if yes what is it?

        Sounds like sodium metabisulphite, a fairly mild sterilizer used by home
        brewers (in UK sodium meta. also comes in a tablet form known as Camden
        Tablets). I think it works by releasing sulphur dioxide on contact with water,
        don't know if this is strong enough to sterilize stainless steel but I suspect it
        won't be. I keep my empty plastic brewing containers sweet while not being
        used by putting 1/2 cup sodium met. solution in them before resealing &
        putting into store.
        --
        Dick
        Fra' Auld Reekie