1984 Orwell style

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2002
      From one of our members ...

      About one month ago, I had someone ring my doorbell. When I answered, I was
      met by 2 men displaying badges and identifying themselves as agents of the
      state tax department. They asked if they could talk to me for a minute, to
      which I consented.
      They had a folder, with my name on it, which they referred to. They said
      they had information that I had bought a "distillation device"
      From a company in Canada. I had not bought anything from Canada, but had
      bought a ss still from a company in the US on E-bay. I HAD requested
      information from the Canadian company, but didn't buy anything.
      To make a long story short, they wanted to know where the "device" was now.
      I told them I had sold it to someone in another state 3 years ago as it
      didn't distill water fast enough.
      They told me that they had to "track down" all "stills" that might be used
      to produce alcohol without a permit.
      I find this totally incomprehensible that a state agency would spend the
      money to investigate a still purchase that could produce such a small amount

      of alcohol. They seemed to be satisfied and left..Keep wondering if they
      will be back with a warrant.
      I would like to really pursue this, but I don't want to call any further
      attention to myself. Ridiculous.
      Bottom line===BE CAREFUL.
    • klcampbell

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
          Ken

          >G'day Tony, which hemisphere are we refering to?
          >just curious,Regards,Ken.

          I believe the member who sent the email to me was North American.

          Tony