Re: Correlation

  • edbar44
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 11, 2010
      those are some great formulae, have a pint sitting in the fridge now, will filter and test again but feel it's done and full of stuff so will probably just distill it and throw more yeast into the backset to see if it'll ferment again, no sugar this time.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "landrover_ffr" <sid.rains@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Assuming you are using a refractometer to measure the brix level the alcohol present in the partially fermented wash will throw your measurement out. But never fear as you can adjust for it if you have the initial brix reading.
      >
      > Check out VinoCalc's "Monitor Ferment Progress with a Refractometer" which should do a reasonable correction for you.
      > hxxp://www.slymail.org/vinocalc.html#alcoholcalculation
      >
      > And you can find some code to do the same thing here;
      > hxxp://www.primetab.com/formulas.html
      >
      > I now use a refractometer all the time now as these calculation make monitoring very simple.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      > Sid.
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@> wrote:
      > >

      > > I've got a batch fermenting and it's going real slow, just noticed something on a Brix chart that doesn't compute.
      > >
      > > My. SG is 1.045 but the brix is 22 which doesn't correlate or is something missing here.

    • edbar44
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 21, 2010
        I filtered a small quantity of the wash and refrigerated it and let it sit for a week, readings were the same. At the same time, I stripped the wash that I had and reused the remaining, checking it for SG and Brix and the readings were the same. It has now been fermenting for 4 days and it has come down to 1.020 and 13 brix so apparently all the junk that's in the wash plays no significant role in these readings, the wash is still quite a dark brown since it has been stripped twice.