Testing for ferminttion levles during fermentation.

  • Timothy
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2010
      I have heard a lot of debate on the best ways to figure out SG or Alc% during a ferment. Of course it make sense that using an instrament that is desined to due a certian task, will not give an accurate reading when it is used incorectly or not in its intended enviroment.

      The question is: How can we alter our samples to get a more accurate reading?
      I.e.- What if I run a pint of ferment through a filter then try for SG? Or filter it then put it in the fridge to settle out, decant, wait untill it warms up to the temp required to get a good reading and then drop in the hydrometer? Perhaps, test it, cut it 50% with pure water, then test again?

      I have not tried any of these methods yet. I can't even get a hydrometer where I am. But I am curious and would like to open this topic to discussion. I was only using the hydrometer as an example. It would be nice to hear any good experiments on brix, alc or sg.
      The only tests I have for now is tasting for sweetness and if the ferment seems done I steel a sample, cut it a little and pich a smal amount of fresh yeast and nurishment. I have only ever had one take off. I also took a straw and hot glued some nails in one side of it. I drew a line on it at the level where it sits in water at 90°c. This lets me know if I'm geting close when used a s a hydrometer.

      Thanx, TIM
    • joe giffen
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2010
        Hi,
        If you can post why can't you order a hydrometer online?

        Regards
        Joe