Moonshining alive & (not) well in Cocke County TN

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 8, 2010

      1:08 PM Aug 4, 2010

      NEWPORT, Tenn. (WVLT) -- A Tennessee Highway Patrol trooper flying around Cocke County looking for Marijuana patches found what he was looking for Tuesday morning, but the discovery lead to a high-proof surprise.

      The pilot, who is part of the state's Marijuana Eradication Task Force, spotted a patch of pot plants in Cocke County. When officers were called to the scene to investigate, they also discovered an illegal moonshine still operation, according to a news release from the Tennessee Department of Safety.

      The still was discovered in the area around Highway 160 and Highway 321.

      "After obtaining a search warrant, investigators discovered approximately 50 marijuana plants, 200 gallons of Moonshine, and seven 500-gallon Moonshine stills," the news release states. "Six of the stills contained approximately 500 gallons of Mash."

      In addition to THP, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and the Alcoholic Beverage Commission assisted in the operation.

      Source: http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/99953444.html?storySection=story

      Looks to have been there a long time.

    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 8, 2010

        Harry,

        As mentioned when I reposted you Nostalgia article in New Distillers on Moonshining in the Blue Ridge, while they stated it is not as active as it once was, its still there.  Franklin County is just a bit aways from me and its still not a good idea to go sight seeing around those hills...  Them thar country folk still dont take a liking to strangers and you might get a tire shot out if ya aint careful ;).

        Passing that jar around during a party is still common around the south here and some of the modern types of shiners are just like us - living in the city and making small batches (even in 1 bedroom apartments as a friend of mine knows).

        JB.

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 8, 2010

          > Harry,
          >
          > As mentioned when I reposted you Nostalgia article in New Distillers on
          > Moonshining in the Blue Ridge, while they stated it is not as active as
          > it once was, its still there.  Franklin County is just a bit aways from
          > me and its still not a good idea to go sight seeing around those
          > hills...  Them thar country folk still dont take a liking to strangers
          > and you might get a tire shot out if ya aint careful  [;)] .
          >
          > Passing that jar around during a party is still common around the south
          > here and some of the modern types of shiners are just like us - living
          > in the city and making small batches (even in 1 bedroom apartments as a
          > friend of mine knows).
          >
          > JB.

          Pulled a close-up of one pic.

            Jim, are the stills gasoline-fired, similar to Popcorn's old outfit?
          Interesting what the mixers are too...Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper & good ol' Coka-Cola.

          I counted three drinks cups and a jar on this pic, & three more in another pic.  One report said they found 200 gallons ready made, another said 192 gallons.  So who had the party?  Shiners? or revenoors?  :)

        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 9, 2010
            I doubt it Harry. From the gossip, they use propane or as traditionals
            which they are, still mostly wood to fire their stills. However not
            going to get close enough to find out.

            Anyone who starts asking questions about moonshining in these parts is
            automatically put on the suspicion list. While we freely talk about it
            here and go by the motto "Dont sell", they live by the motto "Sell and
            dont tell".

            JB.

            > Pulled a close-up of one pic.
            >
            > Jim, are the stills gasoline-fired, similar to Popcorn's old outfit?
            > Interesting what the mixers are too...Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper & good
            > ol' Coka-Cola.
            >
            > I counted three drinks cups and a jar on this pic, & three more in
            > another pic. One report said they found 200 gallons ready made,
            another
            > said 192 gallons. So who had the party? Shiners? or revenoors? :)
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

          • edbar44
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 9, 2010
              I've got a batch fermenting and it's going real slow, just noticed something on a Brix chart that doesn't compute.

              My. SG is 1.045 but the brix is 22 which doesn't correlate or is something missing here.
            • tgfoitwoods
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 9, 2010
                Edbar,

                If I read you correctly, you used a hydrometer partway through a fermentation, and got a reading of 1.045. That specific gravity can be interpreted at least 2 ways.

                First, if you have a solution of only simple sugars and water, you can expect very roughly a 6% ABV ethanol water mixture, if fermentation works to completion. If you test that simple sugar-water solution with a refractometer, you should see a Brix/Balling value of about 11.5, based entirely on the fact that the solution is simple.

                The other interpretation of that 1.045 SG is that if you have a solution of sugar, water, yeast cells, nutrients, ethanol, and some intermediate fermentation products, 1.045 doesn't tell you jack. Because a refractometer's index of refraction reading is also changed by the mixture of ethanol, water, and other stuff in a partially complete fermentation, the refractometer reading is also so badly skewed as to be worthless.

                In the middle of a fermentation, which is where I'm guessing you are, all that 1.045 tells you (and this is just from brewing-winemaking experience) is that, depending on the amount of non-fermenting sugars in your wash, you are probably not finished with fermentation yet. Again from experience, wine fermentation is easier to guess the finish point than beer fermentation, but nothing is chiseled in stone.

                The known-solution-content argument continues to the alcoholometer. If you finish fermentation with a real ethanol ABV% of 14, and drop your alcoholometer into that solution, it sure as hell won't give you a reading of 14%ABV. In fact, the alcoholometer does not really test for amount of ethanol; it only knows the SG of pure ethanol-water mixtures at different concentrations. When it sees a particular SG, it remembers what the ethanol concentration was in a pure ethanol/water solution for that particular SG and tells you that %ABV. When your mixture is 27 kinds of junk in water, that alcoholometer doesn't have a clue.

                Did you get your Brix reading by using a refractometer partway through the fermentation? If so, that reading is worthless, because all the other garbage in that partial fermentation just confuses the bejeesus out of a refractometer, which can only measure index of refraction, and tell you what the Brix would be if that solution were pure sugar-water. Since that's not what you have now, the reading means nothing.

                For a couple of simple rules, believe the hydrometer (well, sort of) until you pitch the yeast, and believe the alcoholometer only after distillation.

                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 9, 2010

                  Yes Ed,

                  Exactly the way ZB described it.  If your using two different methods to test for SG and Brix, then your really going to get really mixed up - especially part ways thru a fermentation.  Now my wine hydrometer has both brix and SG scales on it, and one reading with always give the same reading on the other scale.

                  If you try and take the SG or Brix during a fermentation, there is really no way to calcuate how much distortion is from the sugars, solids or alcohol (which is lighter than water) that has already been fermented.  Escpecially if your using 2 different methods as ZB suggested.

                  Tis this reason that the only correct way to use a hydrometer is to take the starting SG before fermentation, and then moitor the drop in SG during the fermentation.  This way you can subtract the starting SG and current SG and come up with a rough calculation of your potential ABV.  Of course if doing a grain or molasses mash or wash, you must take into account the solids that are also present in your fermentation and will skew any hydrometer readings.

                  What your saying is that your SG reading of 1.045 will give a potential ABV of 5.9 to 6.8% ABV (see chart below), while your reading of 22 brix will give you a potential ABV of  11 to over 12% ABV - totally impossible.

                  Please, if you could tell us your beginning SG or brix and current SG or brix.  Only way we can help.

                  JB.

                  from http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm

                  SGGravityBrixBauméSugarSugar (lb&oz/US gal.) Sugar (lb&oz/Imp. gal.) PA 1 (%)PA 2 (%)PA 3 (%)PA 4 (%)PA 5 (%)
                  (degrees)(degrees)((SG-1)×220)+1.6g/llbozlboz0.6Br-1F=7.36Br×0.59Br×0.54PA=((Brix-3)×SG)×0.59
                  1.00001.60.0401010.00.00.90.90
                  1.00552.70.71702030.60.71.61.50
                  1.010103.81.43004051.31.42.22.10.5
                  1.015154.92.14406071.92.02.92.61.1
                  1.020206.02.85708092.62.73.53.21.8
                  1.025257.13.570090113.33.44.23.82.5
                  1.030308.24.2830110133.94.14.84.43.2
                  1.035359.34.9970130164.64.85.55.03.8
                  1.0404010.45.6110015125.25.46.15.64.5
                  1.0454511.56.212310145.96.16.86.25.2
                  1.0505012.66.913612166.66.87.46.85.9
                  1.0555513.77.514914187.27.58.17.46.7
                  1.0606014.88.2163161107.98.28.78.07.4
                  1.0656515.98.8176171128.58.89.48.68.1
                  1.0707017.09.4189191149.29.510.09.28.8
                  1.0757518.110.1202111209.910.210.79.89.6
                  1.0808019.210.72151132210.510.911.310.410.3
                  1.0858520.311.32281142511.211.512.011.011.1
                  1.0909021.411.9242202711.812.212.611.611.8
                  1.0959522.512.5255222912.512.913.312.112.6

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 10, 2010
                    That's probably the reason then because this is not a sugar wash although it was originally. I previously wrote about my stuck fermentation which I distilled out and got all the ETOH, then put it back in the fermenter and started the fermentation again. I was kind of shocked to see the Brix at 32 but the SG was at 1.110 ( I added some sugar)so I guess since it seems to be stuck again, I'll distill it again and perhaps ferment it again without adding any sugar. The mash is brown and smells almost like caramel and was told by Harry that this is what they make rum from but I only want the neutral. So at 1.045, how much sugar should be left in this mash?

                    BTW, I've used both the refractometer and the hydrometer on all my washes to monitor the progress and it seems pretty accurate, I usually get down to 8 brix with the SG of .992+

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    >
                    > Did you get your Brix reading by using a refractometer partway through
                    > the fermentation? If so, that reading is worthless, because all the
                    > other garbage in that partial fermentation just confuses the bejeesus
                    > out of a refractometer, which can only measure index of refraction, and
                    > tell you what the Brix would be if that solution were pure sugar-water.
                    > Since that's not what you have now, the reading means nothing.
                    >
                    > For a couple of simple rules, believe the hydrometer (well, sort of)
                    > until you pitch the yeast, and believe the alcoholometer only after
                    > distillation.
                    >
                    > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > I've got a batch fermenting and it's going real slow, just noticed
                    > something on a Brix chart that doesn't compute.
                    > >
                    > > My. SG is 1.045 but the brix is 22 which doesn't correlate or is

                  • tgfoitwoods
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 10, 2010
                      Edbar,

                      I really can't give you an answer with any precision, although I can wave my hands and make some assumptions, and pull a number out of my, er, imagination. If and only if that solution were a pure sucrose-water solution, I'd use Jim's table and say you have very roughly 1 pound of sugar per gallon in your wash. When you say it smells "almost like caramel", that makes me thing there are lots of compounds from heat-degraded sugar in there, and my chemistry just isn't up to knowing how that will affect a specific gravity reading, let alone the ethanol that we know will give you a deceptively low apparent sugar reading, depending on ethanol concentration.

                      Because this started out as a sugar wash, I'm going to make the shaky assumption that you don't have too much in the way of non-fermentable solids in your wash (unlike a grain wash, which can have lots of non-fermenting stuff), so as a very, very rough approximation I'll guess you have 1 pound of fermentable sugar per gallon in your wash.

                      The one single way that anyone has of refining that number is what Jim said: take the SG and then finish the ferment. Subtract the Final Gravity from the Original Gravity, and that will tell you (as well as anything can) how much sugar fermented (using that great table Jim gave us), which may be close to how much fermentable sugar there was in your solution, God willing. This is the way the best brewers and winemakers do it, and it gets them pretty close.

                      At this point, we're just asking, "How big is a horse?", so just finish the ferment (it probably is finished already), take a Final Gravity reading, and distill it. Let us know what you get.

                    • landrover_ffr
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 10, 2010
                        Hi,
                        Assuming you are using a refractometer to measure the brix level the alcohol present in the partially fermented wash will throw your measurement out. But never fear as you can adjust for it if you have the initial brix reading.

                        Check out VinoCalc's "Monitor Ferment Progress with a Refractometer" which should do a reasonable correction for you.
                        hxxp://www.slymail.org/vinocalc.html#alcoholcalculation

                        And you can find some code to do the same thing here;
                        hxxp://www.primetab.com/formulas.html

                        I now use a refractometer all the time now as these calculation make monitoring very simple.

                        Hope this helps,
                        Sid.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 10, 2010

                          Correct links are http://www.slymail.org/vinocalc.html  for all kinds of calculations or  http://www.slymail.org/vinocalc.html#alcoholcalculation for the refactometer and hydrometer calcs and     http://www.primetab.com/formulas.html

                          Great find Landrover.

                          JB.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 10, 2010

                            Harry,

                            You should add this link to your library which Landrover found.  Has almost every calculation one needs for beer, wine and distilling without having to go thru textbooks.

                            http://www.slymail.org/vinocalc.html

                            Totally free and downloadable too.  Going to put it in my Info base.

                            JB.

                            > Correct links are http://www.slymail.org/vinocalc.html
                            > <http://www.slymail.org/vinocalc.html> for all kinds of calculations
                            > or http://www.slymail.org/vinocalc.html#alcoholcalculation
                            > <http://www.slymail.org/vinocalc.html#alcoholcalculation> for the
                            > refactometer and hydrometer calcs and
                            > http://www.primetab.com/formulas.html
                            > <http://www.primetab.com/formulas.html>
                            >
                            > Great find Landrover.
                            >
                            > JB.

                          • landrover_ffr
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 10, 2010
                              Thanks for fixing the links. I just assumed I couldn't post hot links here. I'll know for next time.

                              I intend writing a phone application that has some of these useful equations in it (brix and gravities to ABV, mixing etc.). Just have to finish my ballistics calculator first as you should never mix stilling and long range shooting ;)
                            • tgfoitwoods
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 10, 2010
                                Damn, Sid,

                                Just scanning them quickly, those are some great links! Thanks a bunch
                                for them.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 11, 2010
                                  those are some great formulae, have a pint sitting in the fridge now, will filter and test again but feel it's done and full of stuff so will probably just distill it and throw more yeast into the backset to see if it'll ferment again, no sugar this time.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 21, 2010
                                    I filtered a small quantity of the wash and refrigerated it and let it sit for a week, readings were the same. At the same time, I stripped the wash that I had and reused the remaining, checking it for SG and Brix and the readings were the same. It has now been fermenting for 4 days and it has come down to 1.020 and 13 brix so apparently all the junk that's in the wash plays no significant role in these readings, the wash is still quite a dark brown since it has been stripped twice.