Fw: [Distillers] Oaking...

  • glen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 6:44 PM
      there is a place near me in adelaide that does full size wooden barrels for
      $90 au they used to hold french congnac for shipping and now are in the
      graden centre to be chopped in half for pot plants!! you can buy whole or
      halved!

      Hi everyone,

      I have an idea for a project, which involves aging some spirit on oak
      for a long time (3-5 years) to make a quality spirit. I would love
      to use barrels, but being financially challenged, this is not an
      option (well, not until I'm rich an famous!)

      I have used oak shavings in the past, for a quick oaking (2 - 6
      weeks), and I think I have probably been over-dosing my spirit.
      Having read a little more, and thought about it a lot, I don't think
      oak shavings are the best thing as far as replicating what happens
      commercially. Which brings me to the question(s).

      Oak chips and Mini oak staves are available (and thanks a billion to
      smudge311065 who posted the aussie link yesterday!). I figure these
      would have to be much better than shavings, being more solid like a
      barrel situation. Also, it means I can calculated the surface area,
      and dose my spirit at the same rate as a commercial barrel.

      So, which is better? Am I right in my assumption that shavings are
      good for the 'quick fix', but chips and staves would be better for a
      longer aging? How well can you toast the chips/staves? How well do
      they work for other people?

      As a small aside, I have seen 'Jack Daniels chips' adverstised on a
      Kiwi site - anyone had any luck with these? Are they any better
      than 'ordinary' oak chips?

      So many questions.....!

      Thanks,

      Matt

    • mattdistiller
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4 1:14 AM
        --- In Distillers@y..., "glen" <warranty@p...> wrote:
        > there is a place near me in adelaide that does full size wooden
        barrels for
        > $90 au they used to hold french congnac for shipping and now are in
        the
        > graden centre to be chopped in half for pot plants!! you can buy
        whole or
        > halved!

        So cruel! So cruel. I can but think of the potential.....

        Matt