Re: rum

  • mattdistiller
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 3, 2002
      --- In Distillers@y..., "John Kleinman" <kleinman98@y...> wrote:
      > Well I distilled the rum wash that had 2.5kg molasses and 6 kgs of
      white
      > sugar and using the stillspirits turboextra yeast and was not
      impressed. I
      > only got about 4lts out before the wash foamed out of my pot still
      so back
      > to the drawing board. I am not sure but I think the molasses I have
      may have
      > an inhibitor to stop or slow fermentation as I ran a sugar wash at
      the same
      > time and got a nice yield. Now I have a heap of molasses to use up
      and might
      > try a champagne yeast on it when I feel up to it.

      John,

      You may want to have a read over my posts on the rum I made recently -
      I used 6.5kg mollasses with a champagne yeast, and it worked REALLY
      well! I distilled it with my n/s not a pot, but the wash wasn't very
      frothy at all. During fermentation it was, but I left it to settle
      out and complete fermenting for ages. I won't retell the whole story
      here, but I have all the details in the following posts:

      Distillers - 4492 & 4496
      New_Distillers - 3439

      I've put the URL's below.

      Hope this helps - if you need any more info, give me a yell!

      Matt
    • Kim
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 3, 2005
        I make a light rum wash and then just before I fire up the still, I
        put in a 12 oz bottle of molassas. I run it in a reflux still at 95%
        (the flavor comes over even at high percentage)...I take off the first
        1/4 cup and toss it,... I collect all until the temp just starts to
        rise and then I stop. This makes a nice light rum. Lately I have
        tried oaking it at about 70% for a few weeks and it comes out even
        better. Cut it with distilled water only...

        Kim