RE: [Distillers] Complicated

  • garle whitson
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 31, 2010
      I am not sure how long I have been a member of this and other sites but as was stated in this missive I was never happy with the norm or accepted. After building six, perhaps even eight different stills and then trying to improve on every design on the web that I found I noticed the words refractionating still or plate still so I looked into a reference book, an encyclopedia. There I found the basics of this type of still and deciding on what was readily available and the cost of waiting for more expensive larger tubing I began putting together what I only hoped at the time would be a four inch plate still.
       Taking a four inch copper pipe and scrap stainless steel cirlcles from a scrap yard and the purchase of stainless bolts long enough I built the bubblers on each plate from 3/4 inch copper and brazed them onto the stainless on four inch sections of the pipe and then assembled them together into a column using the stainless bolts, five inch in length.  When I reached nine feet plus I added the coil in tube condenser from a previous large still filled with marbles and began to test. The final run I made began with a 50 gal stainless pot which I had installed water heater elements and a controller, $300, and after 45 minutes of heating began producing three gallons of 96% alcohol per hour that ran until the tails began from the 50 gal container.  So much for the status quo, gaw

      To: distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: nebskram@...
      Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 06:15:20 -0700
      Subject: RE: [Distillers] Complicated

      wile you may be satified with "A keg, a hot water element, a 600mm tower" others are not happy with it and want to learn others ways

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______
      Some people are like slinkies- not good for anything, But it sure is fun to push them down the stairs

      To: Distillers@yahoogro ups.com
      From: pilch@iprimus. com.au
      Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 22:33:50 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] Complicated

      Why are people still making things complicated for themselves when the simpilist things work the best.
      Just looked at the Pressure cooker keg still and was amaised at all the unnessary work and plumbing on it.
      A keg, a hot water element, a 600mm tower and a return of 4.75/5.0ltrs @94% corrected, simple.

      Ozilikkerman

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2010
        ...And you need 3 gallons per hour @ azeotrope because??!?

        Hardly beverage hobbyist size.

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2010
          Ok, forget my last post. I recall now you are a fueller.
          We do try to keep the two hobbies separate to save confusion (such as I just displayed). That's why Tom runs alcoholfuel group.

          > ...And you need 3 gallons per hour @ azeotrope because??!?
          >
          > Hardly beverage hobbyist size.
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • Ian Pilcher
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010

            Sorry Dude I failed notice any ATTITUDE in my posting, I’ll be more vigilant next time.

            Ozilikkerman

          • Ian Pilcher
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010

              thursty2,

              It’s my own design nothing flash as I’m not into complicated designs.

              I’ve been at it for almost a lifetime as you can see if you were to go way back in the groups archives.

              The return is from a 25ltr wash and takes four hours and final temp. never goes over 83 degrees, simple but effective.

              I will admit that it has taken some years to perfect.

              As for the guy who wants to know about Grappa, don’t touch the stuff so don’t make it, Fruit Schnapps, Rum from molasses, whisky from corn and vodka from potatoes are all done in my, once again, perfected Pot Still.

              Ozilikkerman

            • Ian Pilcher
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010

                Correction on the percentage old mate, you can only retrieve 95% from a not vacuum still.

                 Ozilikkerman

              • Ian Pilcher
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010

                  nebskram@...

                  Point taken

                  Ozi

                • abbababbaccc
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 5, 2010
                    Your correction is incorrect. 95.6% (rounds up to 96%) is ethanol's azeotrope, not 95%.

                    Slainte, Riku

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Pilcher" <pilch@...> wrote:

                    > Correction on the percentage old mate, you can only retrieve 95% from a not
                    > vacuum still.
                    >
                    > Ozilikkerman

                  • Ian Pilcher
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010

                      I stand corrected; it is 96% and 100% from a vacuum still.

                      Ozilikkerman