Complicated

  • ozilikkerman
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 30, 2010
      Why are people still making things complicated for themselves when the simpilist things work the best.
      Just looked at the Pressure cooker keg still and was amaised at all the unnessary work and plumbing on it.
      A keg, a hot water element, a 600mm tower and a return of 4.75/5.0ltrs @94% corrected, simple.

      Ozilikkerman
    • Bryan Bornais
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 30, 2010
        Last I checked, that attitude was left at the homedistiller forums.

        Besides, that attitude does not advance the hobby. It only gets you drunk and bullheaded.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 30, 2010
          How simple Ozi?

          What style of still is it, Bokakob, Nixon Stone? Pot or Reflux?
          4.75/5.0ltrs @94% from how many ltrs of wash? How long does the run take?

          Curious mind would like to know. Thanks.

          BTW, The Nixon-Stone reflux unit is often talked about as a good quality producer, but in hushed tones like it is something requiring an engineer to make and run. It is my experience that it is a very simple device, requiring more copper than say a Bokakob pot unit. But simple nevertheless in both construction and use.

          ----------------

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ozilikkerman" <pilch@...> wrote:

          > Why are people still making things complicated for themselves when the simpilist things work the best.
          > Just looked at the Pressure cooker keg still and was amaised at all the unnessary work and plumbing on it.
          > A keg, a hot water element, a 600mm tower and a return of 4.75/5.0ltrs @94% corrected, simple.
          >
          > Ozilikkerman

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 30, 2010
            Simple indeed. I'm curious, though, as to how you get all that pomace into and out of your still when you make grappa, or how you distill fruit schnappses on the fruit, or how you keep that hot water element from scorching while distilling a grain wash for whisky. On the other hand, if all you want is flavorless spirit, the design you specify should satisfy you.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ozilikkerman" <pilch@...> wrote:

            > Why are people still making things complicated for themselves when the simpilist things work the best.
            > Just looked at the Pressure cooker keg still and was amaised at all the unnessary work and plumbing on it.
            > A keg, a hot water element, a 600mm tower and a return of 4.75/5.0ltrs @94% corrected, simple.
            >
            > Ozilikkerman

          • just me
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 30, 2010
              simple potstillers shouldnt be concerned with our more complicated sugar washes!
              ps thank you bob for all your work even if you are a  a simple potstiller.lol.

              On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 9:02 PM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

              Simple indeed. I'm curious, though, as to how you get all that pomace into and out of your still when you make grappa, or how you distill fruit schnappses on the fruit, or how you keep that hot water element from scorching while distilling a grain wash for whisky. On the other hand, if all you want is flavorless spirit, the design you specify should satisfy you.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ozilikkerman" <pilch@...> wrote:

              > Why are people still making things complicated for themselves when the simpilist things work the best.
              > Just looked at the Pressure cooker keg still and was amaised at all the unnessary work and plumbing on it.
              > A keg, a hot water element, a 600mm tower and a return of 4.75/5.0ltrs @94% corrected, simple.
              >
              > Ozilikkerman

            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 31, 2010
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ozilikkerman" <pilch@...> wrote:

                > Why are people still making things complicated for themselves when the simpilist things work the best.
                > Just looked at the Pressure cooker keg still and was amaised at all the unnessary work and plumbing on it.
                > A keg, a hot water element, a 600mm tower and a return of 4.75/5.0ltrs @94% corrected, simple.
                >
                > Ozilikkerman

                Huh, why do you take out less than azeotrope with that high column? You can easily get 95.6% neutral with only 300mm of packing. There are many simple designs out there if you look around a bit. If with pressure cooker still you refer to the so called "world class" distillation apparatuses - we've been preaching people away from those designs for years due to unnecessarily complicated and/or poor designs.

                Slainte, Riku
              • ben marks
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 31, 2010
                  wile you may be satified with "A keg, a hot water element, a 600mm tower" others are not happy with it and want to learn others ways

                  ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
                  Some people are like slinkies- not good for anything, But it sure is fun to push them down the stairs

                  To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 31, 2010
                    <Should not be a problem or anything to get to worked up about. I just got back from vacation and had a ltr of tomato wine that settled soooo cleeeaan. After I mixed it with a litle honey and lemon juice my wife wanted it more than her spendy stuff...
                    < I'm just tryin to say that all of the stuff we use to get the job done is not as important as the "job that is done." Do what makes you happy or what works for you. And if you need to learn more to get satisfied, learn more. Mistakes are for learnig from... and to hinder the week and unfortunate.

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, ben marks <nebskram@...> wrote:

                    > wile you may be satified with "A keg, a hot water element, a 600mm tower" others are not happy with it and want to learn others ways

                    > ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
                    > Some people are like slinkies- not good for anything, But it sure is fun to push them down the stairs
                    >

                    > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: pilch@...
                    > Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 22:33:50 +0000
                    > Subject: [Distillers] Complicated
                    >

                    > Why are people still making things complicated for themselves when the simpilist things work the best.
                    > Just looked at the Pressure cooker keg still and was amaised at all the unnessary work and plumbing on it.
                    > A keg, a hot water element, a 600mm tower and a return of 4.75/5.0ltrs @94% corrected, simple.
                    >
                    > Ozilikkerman

                  • Timothy
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 31, 2010

                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ozilikkerman" <pilch@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Why are people still making things complicated for themselves when the simpilist things work the best.
                      > > Just looked at the Pressure cooker keg still and was amaised at all the unnessary work and plumbing on it.
                      > > A keg, a hot water element, a 600mm tower and a return of 4.75/5.0ltrs @94% corrected, simple.
                      > >
                      > > Ozilikkerman
                      > >

                      > Huh, why do you take out less than azeotrope with that high column? You can easily get 95.6% neutral with only 300mm of packing. There are many simple designs out there if you look around a bit. If with pressure cooker still you refer to the so called "world class" distillation apparatuses - we've been preaching people away from those designs for years due to unnecessarily complicated and/or poor designs.
                      >
                      > Slainte, Riku

                      Amen preacher, less truble = more time for better things.
                    • garle whitson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 31, 2010
                        I am not sure how long I have been a member of this and other sites but as was stated in this missive I was never happy with the norm or accepted. After building six, perhaps even eight different stills and then trying to improve on every design on the web that I found I noticed the words refractionating still or plate still so I looked into a reference book, an encyclopedia. There I found the basics of this type of still and deciding on what was readily available and the cost of waiting for more expensive larger tubing I began putting together what I only hoped at the time would be a four inch plate still.
                         Taking a four inch copper pipe and scrap stainless steel cirlcles from a scrap yard and the purchase of stainless bolts long enough I built the bubblers on each plate from 3/4 inch copper and brazed them onto the stainless on four inch sections of the pipe and then assembled them together into a column using the stainless bolts, five inch in length.  When I reached nine feet plus I added the coil in tube condenser from a previous large still filled with marbles and began to test. The final run I made began with a 50 gal stainless pot which I had installed water heater elements and a controller, $300, and after 45 minutes of heating began producing three gallons of 96% alcohol per hour that ran until the tails began from the 50 gal container.  So much for the status quo, gaw

                        To: distillers@yahoogroups.com
                        From: nebskram@...
                        Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 06:15:20 -0700
                        Subject: RE: [Distillers] Complicated

                        wile you may be satified with "A keg, a hot water element, a 600mm tower" others are not happy with it and want to learn others ways

                        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______
                        Some people are like slinkies- not good for anything, But it sure is fun to push them down the stairs

                        To: Distillers@yahoogro ups.com

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1, 2010
                          ...And you need 3 gallons per hour @ azeotrope because??!?

                          Hardly beverage hobbyist size.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 1, 2010
                            Ok, forget my last post. I recall now you are a fueller.
                            We do try to keep the two hobbies separate to save confusion (such as I just displayed). That's why Tom runs alcoholfuel group.

                            > ...And you need 3 gallons per hour @ azeotrope because??!?
                            >
                            > Hardly beverage hobbyist size.
                            >

                            > Slainte!
                            > regards Harry

                          • Ian Pilcher
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010

                              Sorry Dude I failed notice any ATTITUDE in my posting, I’ll be more vigilant next time.

                              Ozilikkerman

                            • Ian Pilcher
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010

                                thursty2,

                                It’s my own design nothing flash as I’m not into complicated designs.

                                I’ve been at it for almost a lifetime as you can see if you were to go way back in the groups archives.

                                The return is from a 25ltr wash and takes four hours and final temp. never goes over 83 degrees, simple but effective.

                                I will admit that it has taken some years to perfect.

                                As for the guy who wants to know about Grappa, don’t touch the stuff so don’t make it, Fruit Schnapps, Rum from molasses, whisky from corn and vodka from potatoes are all done in my, once again, perfected Pot Still.

                                Ozilikkerman

                              • Ian Pilcher
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010

                                  Correction on the percentage old mate, you can only retrieve 95% from a not vacuum still.

                                   Ozilikkerman

                                • Ian Pilcher
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010

                                    nebskram@...

                                    Point taken

                                    Ozi

                                  • abbababbaccc
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 5, 2010
                                      Your correction is incorrect. 95.6% (rounds up to 96%) is ethanol's azeotrope, not 95%.

                                      Slainte, Riku

                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Pilcher" <pilch@...> wrote:

                                      > Correction on the percentage old mate, you can only retrieve 95% from a not
                                      > vacuum still.
                                      >
                                      > Ozilikkerman

                                    • Ian Pilcher
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010

                                        I stand corrected; it is 96% and 100% from a vacuum still.

                                        Ozilikkerman