Molasses

  • smudge311065
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 3 2:26 PM
      John Kleinman,

      When I lived in Qld was was able to get molasses for nothing. The
      drawback is the stuff is only about 50% fermentable sugar. I was
      using 120kg of the stuff per batch, and it isn't easy to shift. It
      also foams like mad, and when I distilled it left grey sludge all
      through my column.

      In the end I decided that the extra work involved outweighed its
      economic advantages. I still use it as a source of nutrients though,
      but cane molasses is not a good source of nitrogen so you need
      something else for that. It has enough nitrogen to ferment itself,
      but not as an additive to a sugar wash.

      Smudge
    • *
      Message 44 of 44 , Nov 3, 2010
        i got some, was told "food grade" again. no additives of any kind. ill do a little testing first. if all fails there will be a lot of happy deer around. well maybe one not so happy LOL.