Rum Head

  • smudge311065
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2002
      John Kleinman

      You wanted to get a good head on your rum?

      I have tried all the rum essences I could find and was consistently
      underwhelmed with the results. None provided the long smooth taste
      dark rum normally has.

      I have some oak barrels I use for aging, but about a year ago I
      bought some toasted oak mini staves (from
      http://www.winerysupplies.com.au/) as a lower cost alternative. I put
      2kg in a 15 litre plastic container and filled it with 60% ABV. The
      stuff is now as black as coke and smells like rum with nothing added
      to it. I have made rum with it by watering it back and adding rum
      essence. When mixed with coke, it sits with a 1 cm head on it until
      the drink is finished. The flavour is good, although now I blend it
      with clean spirit as its getting a little too oaky.

      Smudge