Wee Problem With Gin

  • Dick
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2002
      Hi All,
      I've been making up some gin to keep herself happy and have
      come across a minor problem I wonder if anyone can throw some light on. I
      make my gin by 'souping' up a standard gin essence with a small amount of
      the botanical essence described on p47 of John Stones Making Gin &
      Vodka, the problem is that when I add drops from the 1st run of the botanical
      to 37.5% ABV the alcohol turns slightly milky/cloudy. If I add drops from the
      2nd run of the botanical first everything remains clear until drops from the 1st
      run are added. Despite the odd colour it's still a great tasting gin ! It's not the
      commercial essence as the same thing happens when I add to straight
      alcohol.
      I have a suspicion that someone else described this problem way
      back in the early days of the group & it's something to do with the alcohol
      strength but needless to say it's one of the things I didn't file away for future
      use !!!! Can anyone help ????
      --
      Dick
      Fra' Auld Reekie