Re: Newbie problems

  • geoff
    Message 1 of 64 , Jul 7, 2010

      Hi again thursty2,

           Attending it like that is how it should be as far as I’m concerned, if there is a problem that arises after you’ve invested that time on a 4 hour run like i.e. the temperature starts to rise dramatically, and the onset of tails stats to contaminate the hearts that you have so slowly and carefully collected at a nice high 94 % Abv you sure as hell want know all about and fix it right away, and if you aint watching you end up with weaker rap product.

           I find the time invested gives me time to count drips (sometime it's like Chinese torture) mull over ideas and write down some checks as to what I need to do.  And what I have already done and/or should have done.

           Then I rewrite the whole thing for the next run you’ll do and then you will learn from your own experience.  If you write it down no matter how trivial or insignificant, you will not forget to write it after the run is finished cause it’s there already.  That makes you ahead of the pack and you can advise informatively to others from notes you yourself have written and have learned from

      Geoff
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 64 of 64 , Jul 9, 2010
        Funny you should bring this up at this time, Geoff. I've just been digesting the information from the 2 ethanol-water mixture density tables that Harry sent me, and in the process, looking at my hydrometer and alcoholometer. While Waldo and Harry have covered all the important parts in depth, let me put some of this in some practical forms.

        First, my hydrometer can measure densities from .990 to 1.170 g/cm^3, reading from the internal paper scale. In addition, doing some serious guesstimating,  it appears that at densities below .950 g/cm^3 the hydrometer will sink to the bottom of the measured liquid.

        Similarly, my alcoholometer measures (also on the internal paper scale) densities from .789 to 1.000 g/cm^3, amd looks to sink at any density less than about .774 g/cm^3

        If we look at the density range where both instruments can serve as sugar-concentration hydrometer or ethanol-concentration alcoholometer, the range shared betweenthe 2 instruments is from 1.000 to .990, which means that the hydrometer (if you had some conversion from density to %ABV like the tables Harry sent me) could read ethanol concentrations form 0-7% ABV, and the alcoholometer could measure sugar concentrations from 0 to 0% (since all sugar-water solution must have a density greater than 1.000, even if an FG of .994 is common in wine).

        Further, because after the hydrometer can still move downward, even after the liquid level is above the readable paper scale, at about 41%ABV,  the  hydrometer will sink to the bottom of the test jar and can not register (and sure as hell can not read) ethanol concentrations greater than 41% (a guess, but close).

        So, at least with my instruments, you could use the hydrometer, with conversion tables, to crudely measure %ABV from 0-7, and my alcoholometer will give you no reading with any sugar solution.

        If you're wondering why I dwell on the sinking instrument, it's because I started a spirit run with my hydrometer in my parrot beak, and the hydrometer did not lift at all when the beak overflowed. Starting ABV was probably 78-80.

        I hope this helps.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller