Re: Newbie problems

  • Becool Stayslinky
    Message 1 of 64 , Jul 3, 2010
      One clarification from below: 3 additions of DAP, totaling 1.4 grams per liter. My ten gallon batch would have about 54 grams DAP total over a three day period, 18 grams at a time.

      BC

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Becool Stayslinky" <becoolstayslinky@...> wrote:

      ---snip---

      > Briefly, here's what I have been doing. Heat water (10 gallons) to near boiling then turn off the heat. Slurry in grain (2 pounds per gallon) and stir occasionally for about an hour. The temp stays around 180 for this period of time. Gelatinization seems to be complete and viscosity is very high. Cool to about 155, add citric acid to adjust PH to around 5.2 - add gluco-amylase and let sit about an hour. Viscosity is reduced but it's still pretty thick. Cool to 90 and add hydrated SAF instant bakers yeast at about 2 grams per liter. Then 3 additions of DAP at 1.4 grams per liter over the next three days. Maintaining the pH around 5-5.5 with potassium carbonate as needed. The fermentation is very active and seems to finish up in 4-5 days with a final gravity of 1.000. I couldn't tell you the exact starting gravity, because it has been so thick that an accurate measurement is difficult to get, but I have thought it to be around 1.060.
      ---snip---

      > Cheers,
      >
      > BC

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 64 of 64 , Jul 9, 2010
        Funny you should bring this up at this time, Geoff. I've just been digesting the information from the 2 ethanol-water mixture density tables that Harry sent me, and in the process, looking at my hydrometer and alcoholometer. While Waldo and Harry have covered all the important parts in depth, let me put some of this in some practical forms.

        First, my hydrometer can measure densities from .990 to 1.170 g/cm^3, reading from the internal paper scale. In addition, doing some serious guesstimating,  it appears that at densities below .950 g/cm^3 the hydrometer will sink to the bottom of the measured liquid.

        Similarly, my alcoholometer measures (also on the internal paper scale) densities from .789 to 1.000 g/cm^3, amd looks to sink at any density less than about .774 g/cm^3

        If we look at the density range where both instruments can serve as sugar-concentration hydrometer or ethanol-concentration alcoholometer, the range shared betweenthe 2 instruments is from 1.000 to .990, which means that the hydrometer (if you had some conversion from density to %ABV like the tables Harry sent me) could read ethanol concentrations form 0-7% ABV, and the alcoholometer could measure sugar concentrations from 0 to 0% (since all sugar-water solution must have a density greater than 1.000, even if an FG of .994 is common in wine).

        Further, because after the hydrometer can still move downward, even after the liquid level is above the readable paper scale, at about 41%ABV,  the  hydrometer will sink to the bottom of the test jar and can not register (and sure as hell can not read) ethanol concentrations greater than 41% (a guess, but close).

        So, at least with my instruments, you could use the hydrometer, with conversion tables, to crudely measure %ABV from 0-7, and my alcoholometer will give you no reading with any sugar solution.

        If you're wondering why I dwell on the sinking instrument, it's because I started a spirit run with my hydrometer in my parrot beak, and the hydrometer did not lift at all when the beak overflowed. Starting ABV was probably 78-80.

        I hope this helps.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller