panella,pelloncillo,papelon ?

  • lane
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2010
      was wondering if anyone has used panella,peloncillo, or papelon in place of molasses in making their rum? if you have any successfull recepees that have been an enjoyable drink please do share.
      i will share mine:
      for a beginning i have been using 10lbs white sugar with 7-8 lbs of peloncillo bought from the local mexican store,with a 12 oz bottle if unsulfered molasses,and 1/4 tsp dap per gal. usually approx 6-8 gal wash.sometimes i add a box of gerber dry baby food,other times a pint of applesauce. i use a red star champagne yeast.1pkg per 5 gal. in later washes i add my trub accordingly.
      i distill it one time with an internal ARC packed with structured copper. my ARC is a total length of 29 inches,from topof condenser to my threaded bottom.my arc has a 3in x 2in x 16in. cross flow condenser with a bokabob style take off that i use to seperate my heads. my ARC arm is 15 inches from the top of my charge vessel. my internal thumper measures 15 inches from the T to the bottom and is of 1/2 inch od pipe. it puts off 183-185 proof with an equalization time of 20-25 minutes.makes an awesome flavored white rum.then later i spice it. if i want a neutral alchohl i add 2 more feet of 2 inch copper pipe unpacked and equalize for 35-45 min. i hope to buy more structured copper to pack this with.
      i look forward to your insights...... also THANCK YOU riku,and harry n alex for the pictures and efforts you have put forth in the various designs i have barrowed from you all