Re: Full-range ABW-ABV conversion

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3 12:45 PM

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

      > Even if I had a table of densities for one or the other, I could
      > calculate conversion, but I haven't found that yet, either.
      >
      > Any help is gratefully accepted.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      Many charts around for density...1st one (USBS) is ABV.  2nd one (Perry's) is ABW

      Source: http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_manual/manual4-5.html

      HTH

    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3 2:37 PM

        ZB,

        What the heck you trying to do here buddy?  If your trying to figure out ABV by weight then you really need a hell of a good scale (at least lab grade) if your going to get with in a 15 to 20 percent accuracy.  Might as well learn the old timer's way of reading the bead or bubbles.

        Whats wrong with that new fangled device called an "Alcoholometer"?  ;);)

        JB.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone point me to a method of conversion between Alcohol By Weight
        > (ABW) and Alcohol by Volume (ABV)? If we are dealing with lower EtOH
        > concentrations, as brewers and winemakers do, we can say 1.25ABW=ABV,
        > and we will get a reasonable approximation. Obviously, this conversion
        > breaks down somewhere between 10% and 100% (100%ABW does not equal
        > 125%ABV!!!), and I'd really like to have some accurate conversions for
        > that higher % range.
        >
        > Even if I had a table of densities for one or the other, I could
        > calculate conversion, but I haven't found that yet, either.
        >
        > Any help is gratefully accepted.
        >
        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3 4:17 PM
          Guys, thanks for those answers.

          Ken, both those links use the brewers/winemakers simplification, that 1.25ABW=ABV, ok at low ethanol concentrations, but that calculator tells me that 100%ABV=78.927%ABW. Very precise but I can't buy that.

          Harry, thanks for the tables, and I'm not sure how I missed them Googling. If I assume that 60F is pretty close to 20C, I'm home free.

          Waldo, if you weren't so danged ornery, I'd tell you that I need a conversion table (probably a graphic) for the book I'm working on, so that the reader could deal with concentration data from any kind of table.  F'rinstance, that cigar curve of Pint's and Harry's is marked in %ABW, and the common (US, anyway) alcoholometers read in %ABV.  Shoot! Now you've gone and made me spile it.:)

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3 6:15 PM

            Dang it ZB,

            Now ya gone and doing a book like Wal, Riku and the rest of them.  Best of luck to you my friend and if ya need any help please ask.  Hope you will give Harry a preview he can post in his library and we can all critique it...   Just in the literary sense of course ;).

            The Ornery One,

            JB.

            Sidenote:  60F  = 15.555555555555557 C    (close enough for G0vernment work)